CC in Fairs

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
JSLACK7851

CC in Fairs

Post by JSLACK7851 »

Check out 2005-15:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Lega ... ons?page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Citizen of Ohio, United States of America
BobK

Re: CC in Fairs

Post by BobK »

Nice find.

Jim Petro was a good AG.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
MuzzleReport

Post by MuzzleReport »

That in combination with 9.68 would seem to lock things up for all fairgrounds on land owned by the auditor or county commissioners.
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

BobK wrote:Nice find.

Jim Petro was a good AG.
I can't take credit, one of the guys on OCA posted it, but it sure looks intriguing.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MuzzleReport wrote:That in combination with 9.68 would seem to lock things up for all fairgrounds on land owned by the auditor or county commissioners.
Unfortunately, no. In many cases, the fairgrounds are leased to the county agricultural society for the purpose of the county fair. The question then becomes whether a county agricultural society is a private entity, and thus, is permitted to post signs under RC 2923.126(C)(3)(a), or whether the a county agricultural society is a public entity, and thus, is subject to the same rules as the county commissioners.

In Wayne County, the latter conclusion was reached. Not all county prosecuting attorneys may agree with that conclusion, and that is a subject upon which the Ohio Attorney General has not spoken.

Also, that opinion does not answer the question whether a person may openly carry a firearm into a government building which is not subject to separate prohibitions (e.g., schools, courthouses), despite the wording of the signs which the controlling entities are required to post under RC 2923.1212. At least one astute peace officer noticed that conflict and asked me for an answer; I told him that it was still a mystery.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JmE

Post by JmE »

Werz wrote:
MuzzleReport wrote:That in combination with 9.68 would seem to lock things up for all fairgrounds on land owned by the auditor or county commissioners.
Unfortunately, no. In many cases, the fairgrounds are leased to the county agricultural society for the purpose of the county fair. The question then becomes whether a county agricultural society is a private entity, and thus, is permitted to post signs under RC 2923.126(C)(3)(a), or whether the a county agricultural society is a public entity, and thus, is subject to the same rules as the county commissioners.
My threads and posts are wordy and ramble horribly (Stu's evil cousin) but if one looks at some of them one might find a compelling argument with the combination of attributes that an AG society has in the ORC. There is a list of things that, IMHO, make a decent argument for them being subject to 9.68.

Fortunately, I can't find a lease agreement anywhere in the county records between my county and our AG society. Additionally, if the county and the AG society lease or purchase a property together, an agreement has to be written up per the ORC, IIRC. So far, I've found nothing in the county records here.
Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet! - Gen.Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Gen. Robert E. Lee
If we must die, we die defending our rights. - Chief Sitting Bull

Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

This was brought up by one of the guys on OCA, he addressed the county commissioners and they got their opinion from the State AG:

http://thehighlandsun.com/main.asp?Sect ... leID=14813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their is a article about a war memorial first, and then the story about the county fair. One more fair, good to carry.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

It seems that our man in OCA put together a Power Point Presentation for the County Commissioners in Highland County. I'd love for the compliance coordinator here to see it, alas, I read somewhere he gave up on county fairs.

I haven't been able to up load it here or into Photobucket for public viewing, or if someone could tell me how to up load it here. Maybe someone familiar with PP could change a few words, (county names), and we could start spreading this great work around to other counties. It is available on OCA for those of you who want to work on this project, contact me, I'll add your name.

I feel this would be a great undertaking, worthy of the few that actually participate in activism. The county commissioners (or whatever form of govt.) are elected officials, who are sworn to uphold the Constitution and Ohio law. Once presented, I believe they will have no recourse but to stop posting our fairs here in Ohio.

After viewing this presentation, I was just blown away.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

JSLACK7851 wrote:It seems that our man in OCA put together a Power Point Presentation for the County Commissioners in Highland County. I'd love for the compliance coordinator here to see it, alas, I read somewhere he gave up on county fairs.

I haven't been able to up load it here or into Photobucket for public viewing, or if someone could tell me how to up load it here. Maybe someone familiar with PP could change a few words, (county names), and we could start spreading this great work around to other counties. It is available on OCA for those of you who want to work on this project, contact me, I'll add your name.

I feel this would be a great undertaking, worthy of the few that actually participate in activism. The county commissioners (or whatever form of govt.) are elected officials, who are sworn to uphold the Constitution and Ohio law. Once presented, I believe they will have no recourse but to stop posting our fairs here in Ohio.

After viewing this presentation, I was just blown away.
You would have to get a host site like zshare and upload it there, then post the link here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

ZShare? http://www2.zshare.ma/z8u18zletqin/Fire ... _.ppt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JmE

Highland County no longer posted

Post by JmE »

I'm not going to spam this everywhere here but I figured it belonged here as well in case someone missed it as it's buried in that long fair thread. (Details were posted there today.)

Highland County Fairgrounds is not longer posted. They had asked me about open carry and the buildings. I responded at the time that the law, as it read, only prohibited concealed carry.

I used the PowerPoint that JSlack7851 posted about. Thanks to all who helped and gave support.
Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet! - Gen.Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Gen. Robert E. Lee
If we must die, we die defending our rights. - Chief Sitting Bull

Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Nice work, thanks! :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.