Purvis Park - University Heights

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
geniusiknowit

Purvis Park - University Heights

Post by geniusiknowit »

I noticed that Purvis Park in University Heights (intersection of Cedar and Wrenford) has several gun buster signs posted. As far as I am aware, this is a city park. Wouldn't that make these signs invalid, as was the case for the parks in neighboring Cleveland Heights? Or might there be a legally valid reason for those signs? There is a school nearby, but I don't think the park is school property.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%22univer ... o&t=m&z=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pirateguy191

Re: Purvis Park - University Heights

Post by pirateguy191 »

It's really hard to tell from the map. Butting up against Purvis park is a baseball field and a running track. I would imagine that those are run by the school district. Does the school district also own the land on which Purvis parks sits? If they don't, then I would believe the signs go against ORC. 9.68.

After looking at the cities ordinances, they seem to echo the ORC. It would be interesting to find out if the school district runs Purvis Park.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

Doesn't seem like a big deal. Should be easy enough to call the mayors secretary and ask....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Citizen of Ohio, United States of America
geniusiknowit

Post by geniusiknowit »

Since we're on the topic of University Heights 9.68 compliance, I noticed the following in their ordinances:
http://www.amlegal.com/library/oh/universityhts.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Part Six
Chapter 632.04 IDENTIFICATION CARD REQUIRED.
(a) No person shall purchase, own, possess, receive, have on or about his or her person or use any handgun, pellet gun or stun gun, unless such person has a valid Restricted Weapons Owner's Identification Card issued to him or her and applicable to such weapon by reason of a proof of registration form issued pursuant to Section 632.07 hereof or unless such person is exempt from the requirements of having such identification card pursuant to Section 632.05.
and
632.09 PROHIBITION AGAINST CARRYING A FIREARM IN A VEHICLE.
(a) No person, unless exempted by any of the provisions of this chapter, shall transport in any vehicle in or upon the streets and public places of the City any restricted weapon without having in his or her possession a Restricted Weapons Owner's Identification Card required by the provisions of this chapter, or, if a nonresident, a Restricted Weapons Owner's Identification Card, permit or authorization issued by the proper authorities of his residence, and provided that such restricted weapon shall at all times be unloaded and encased.
I will contact the mayor's office (or whoever) to find out the details of the park this week (if I can remember).

Any form letters or whatnot available on here for this sort of thing?
Thanks
Golf6Delta

Post by Golf6Delta »

I know this is an old thread, but did anyone ever get an answer about Purvis Park?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Golf6Delta wrote:I know this is an old thread, but did anyone ever get an answer about Purvis Park?
Call the city/village and ask if it is owned by them or the school district. Let us know and we'll go from there.
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Golf6Delta wrote:I know this is an old thread, but did anyone ever get an answer about Purvis Park?
Call the city/village and ask if it is owned by them or the school district. Let us know and we'll go from there.
Found this on the City website (emphasis added):
The City of University Heights sponsors a summertime recreation program at Purvis Park. The outdoor pool and tennis courts offer general hours, lessons and team play activities.

The summer band concerts, held Thursday evenings throughout the summer, showcase a variety of musical genres. The venue, on the John Carroll University campus, invites lawn chairs, blankets, picnic baskets and dancing shoes.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

docachna wrote:The summer band concerts, held Thursday evenings throughout the summer, showcase a variety of musical genres. The venue, on the John Carroll University campus, invites lawn chairs, blankets, picnic baskets and dancing shoes.
Actually, if you click on the Summer 2014 Recreation Guide pdf file, on page two it says the concerts are held outside the JCU library on the "Hamlin Quad".

http://www.universityheights.com/wp-con ... c_Book.pdf
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

I have asked a relative of mine who works for the CHUH school board and I can say that in the last 10+years of working there she's never needed to dispatch any of the school board's trades people there to do any repairs, or services whatsoever. This includes groundskeepers, electricians, plumbers, maintenance... no one.

So although I haven't actually read it anywhere or seen it for myself, I will take Deep Throat's advice and follow the money. Purvis Park is not within the CHUH school budget.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Purvis Park is a public tennis facility located at 2119 Wrenford Rd, University Heights, OH 44118.
http://www.tennisround.com/tennis-court ... urvis-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Points of Interest

University Heights is the home to John Carroll University, one of the highest-ranked Jesuit universities in the Midwest. The community is also known for its historic homes and quiet, tree-lined streets. Its attractions include Purvis Park, which was redeveloped in 1995 to include a renovated swimming pool and recreation facilities.
http://www.progressiveurban.com/getagen ... 0000599167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BillytheKidder

Post by BillytheKidder »

The pool and parking are the City's. Most of the tennis courts appear to be the City's, part of the courts seem to belong to another entity, but that might be an error in data entry at the county. The athletic fields are on the same parcel as the School Board.
Proudly causing more problems than I solve, since 1950.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Concealed carry on University property is also an issue, IIRC.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Did we ever resolve this? Here are two photos I took this evening. They both seem to indicate that this is a City/Municipal pool and not a school-owned (or University-owned) property.

The entrance to the parking lot is posted as are all the fences on the front of the pool as well as the playground fence. (I can return to take photos as requested.)

I think, though, that this means that they're permitted to post. Isn't that correct?

ImageImage
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Purvis Park is a mile north of John Carroll University and is not associated with that university.

Purvis Park IS immediately adjacent to Cleveland Heights-University Heights high school property.

No, the city cannot post their property with CPZ signs.

The fight to get the signs removed, however, will be quite tedious because A) the proximity to a K-12 school, and B) the proximity of the city to Cleveland.
MyWifeSaidYes