Wooster has "No firearms" in parks law!!

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Wooster has "No firearms" in parks law!!

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Reply from Mr. Benson:
Our email exchanges have included all members of our city council, as well as Chief Fisher and Capt. Rotolo. If you tell me in which ward you live, I will direct you to your elected ward representative.
Richard Benson
And a reply from Council member Barbara Knapic:
I will work with the laws and ordinances committee and mr. Benson on this
On my last email to Mr. Benson and Council, I included my full address. Now he wants to know where in Wooster I live. :P

Because I got an email from a council member, I could just ignore Mr. Benson. Since he's been so helpful, I'll let him know that I'm three hours away. What will he think?

Will he think "What right does a non-Alliance citizen have to harass us about our laws?" or will he wonder why an outsider is letting him know about a possible lawsuit? In Mr. Benson' case, he may wonder both.

I told Ms. Knapic:
Ms. Knapic-

Thank you! If you have any questions of me, feel free to ask.
MyWifeSaidYes
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Kicking and screaming seems to be the tactic of these burgs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Will he think "What right does a non-Alliance citizen have to harass us about our laws?"
Or even a non-Wooster citizen ...
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I told Ms. Knapic:
Ms. Knapic-

Thank you! If you have any questions of me, feel free to ask.
Good. She is the other lawyer on Wooster City Council, aside from the president.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Reply from Mr. Benson:

Our email exchanges have included all members of our city council, as well as Chief Fisher and Capt. Rotolo. If you tell me in which ward you live, I will direct you to your elected ward representative.
Richard Benson
Like politicans everywhere, they want to dodge responsibility or accountability.

Evidently no non-Wooster citizen comes to, or might be affected by their laws! :roll: But seriously, I'd leave my address out of things, and if asked, tell the responding party that I have friends there that I visit semi-frequently.

But, in the case of Mr. Benson, I'd wouldn't bother to respond if I were you.
Last edited by BB62 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

If I can be subjected to your laws, I am concerned with them.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BB62 wrote:Evidently no non-Wooster citizen comes to, or might be affected by their laws! :roll: But seriously, I'd leave my address out of things, and if asked, tell the responding party that I have friends there that I visit semi-frequently.
But let's face facts: we got lucky in Alliance. TerryW was entitled to speak because he was a resident. I got to speak because he specifically asked the council president if it was OK. Even MyWifeSaidYes got to speak, although he had to endure a butt-chewing by the council president for getting there late (which he handled well).

There's no guarantee that will happen elsewhere.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yeah, I meant to write "non-Wooster" earlier.

When I formally made a request of the council, I included my address. This is just something I do.

I have chosen not to reply to Mr. Benson at this time, because I gave him my address prior to him asking what ward I lived in. If he can't figure out how to use Mapquest or Google Maps, he's a lost cause.
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

This non-Wooser resident is responsible for the restoration of the Civil War monument at Wooster Cemetery and the replacement of the stolen rifle out of the soldier's hands. I travel through the town to get to my Mom's farm on a regular basis so even though I don't live there, I visit often and am affected by the ordinances of Wooster.

If you need my name to mention at the next Wooster meeting, PM me and I'll supply it. I should check with my brother who is a city council member in a nearby town to see what they have on the books.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Javelin Man wrote:This non-Wooser resident is responsible for the restoration of the Civil War monument at Wooster Cemetery and the replacement of the stolen rifle out of the soldier's hands. I travel through the town to get to my Mom's farm on a regular basis so even though I don't live there, I visit often and am affected by the ordinances of Wooster.

If you need my name to mention at the next Wooster meeting, PM me and I'll supply it. I should check with my brother who is a city council member in a nearby town to see what they have on the books.
I imagine that a full-fledged Woosterian can appear at the next council meeting and convey to city council that same legal authority shared with the Alliance City Council.
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Update: Wooster has "No firearms" in parks law!!

Post by Werz »

After this matter lay dormant for a few months, I decided to send an email to the councilperson for Laws & Ordinances, along with my 9.68/Clyde/Cleveland memorandum. I did that Friday night ... actually about 1:00 a.m. on Saturday. By 10:00 a.m. Saturday, the councilperson responded and had already spoken to the law director. On Monday, the law director called me, emailed me a proposed amendment, and said it would be on the agenda for Monday (yesterday) evening.

Well, it was on the agenda. It apparently raised quite a stir. The Daily Record article is "locked" (subscribers only), but I'll provide some excerpts. One councilperson expressed outrage, stating that he was "appalled by having to deal with this," and that it was "so contradictory to common sense ... this is obnoxious and I cannot vote for this asinine ordinance[.]" The council president expressed disappointment that "the (Ohio) Supreme Court is eroding charter communities ... the court seems to be yanking the rug out from under communities and their ability to organize and legislate as they see fit[.]" However, one councilperson noted that he took an oath to uphold the Constitution, which includes the right to bear arms.

The matter will now be up for public comment. I guess I'll need to speak at a meeting after all.
-- BobK
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

Sounds like things are getting interesting. Thanks for taking this on, as I have a friend who lives just south of Wooster who I visit occasionally, not to mention that I support the overarching principle.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I wish ORC 9.68 had stronger teeth. Like penalising the individuals who continue to enforce and fail to change regulations. Sure, the city or village has to pay legal feas, but it would be nice if their irresponsibility and disrespect for the law hurt them persoanlly.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Wooster PD / Wayne Sheriff work out of the same Building downtown and I have delt with them before.

Something tells me a Wooster PD isn't going to arrest someone for this. They are pretty fair. I mean anythings possible but I don't think it Would Happen. But I say challenge it.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techguy85 wrote:I wish ORC 9.68 had stronger teeth. Like penalising the individuals who continue to enforce and fail to change regulations. Sure, the city or village has to pay legal feas, but it would be nice if their irresponsibility and disrespect for the law hurt them persoanlly.
They have a law along those lines in Florida. Dunno how many legislators or other politicos have been dinged by it, but as memory serves the fine is up to $5000, payable by the individual out of their own (not the taxpayers') pocket.

Personally I don't belive a law has real enforcement "teeth" unless a violator can get thrown in jail/prison for an infraction. Politicians are pretty good at moving other peoples' money around to pay their own fines.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

wkdravenna wrote:Something tells me a Wooster PD isn't going to arrest someone for this.
They won't. They already know it won't be prosecuted. But it puts them in a difficult position if people complain: "No, sir, it's legal. Yes, sir, we know there is an ordinance, but it can't be enforced."
-- BobK