City of Kettering Parks

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: City of Kettering Parks

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Okay, time for a follow-up...
Mr. Long-

To follow up on my emails from last week, do you have an estimate on when the signs at your parks will be corrected? I am told that there are still many signs posted indicating that firearms are not permitted.

Since you are aware of ORC 9.68, you probably know that the signs themselves are a violation of that law, even if your local ordinances are not in violation.

I would urge you to modify or take down any signage immediately that is not in compliance with state law until such time they can be corrected.

I am not a lawyer, but I did read the decision in OFCC v. City of Clyde and saw that Kettering joined in an amicus brief to reverse the Court of Appeals decision. That tells me that the city of Kettering has been aware of this violation since at least September 18, 2008, when the Ohio Supreme Court upheld the Court of Appeals ruling.

Again, please let me know when the signs will be corrected.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
May 17, 2012
Oh, by the way. I originally sent this to several email contacts available from Kettering's web site. Mr. Long replied to all. I have followed suit and have replied to all on my emails to him.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Mr. "MWSY":

I received your email, and have inquired of the City as to the time frame for sign replacement/correction.

As soon as I have a response, I will let you know.

Sincerely,

Jim Long
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Apparently the park signs are down, but a city owned, outdoor entertainment venue called Fraze Pavillion is still posted.

No one from the city of Kettering told me about taking down the signs.

I found out from a post on OCDO:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... State-Law-(ORC-9-68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
MyWifeSaidYes
fisher

Post by fisher »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Apparently the park signs are down, but a city owned, outdoor entertainment venue called Fraze Pavillion is still posted.

No one from the city of Kettering told me about taking down the signs.

I found out from a post on OCDO:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... State-Law-(ORC-9-68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
The bathroom at Fraze pavavilion is still posted. It is a great venue. I was just there. The silly gunbuster sign at the restroom entrance has to go though.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

fisher wrote: The bathroom at Fraze pavavilion is still posted. It is a great venue. I was just there. The silly gunbuster sign at the restroom entrance has to go though.
Can you describe for me the placement of the signs? I have never been to "the Fraze". Are the bathrooms IN the main building, or are they separate? The signs may be legal if the bathrooms are in, or are a part of, the main building, because the exception is for a building used 'primarily' as a bathroom.
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

fisher wrote: The bathroom at Fraze pavilion is still posted. It is a great venue.
I mean come on, how great can a bathroom be? :lol:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
fisher

Post by fisher »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
fisher wrote: The bathroom at Fraze pavavilion is still posted. It is a great venue. I was just there. The silly gunbuster sign at the restroom entrance has to go though.
Can you describe for me the placement of the signs? I have never been to "the Fraze". Are the bathrooms IN the main building, or are they separate? The signs may be legal if the bathrooms are in, or are a part of, the main building, because the exception is for a building used 'primarily' as a bathroom.
Their is a concession building which has a lower level which can only be accessed by walking down and behind the building. The bathrooms are inside, so it does appear as though the sign might be legitimate, but I still think it is silly and should come down.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
fisher

Post by fisher »

As a side note, bags are searched upon entry, and their website says no weapons are permitted (including knives).
-Me
-Kirk Lazarus
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sent 6/18
Mr. Long-

An acquaintance told me that "No firearms" signage in Kettering parks has been corrected.

Can you confirm this for me?

At the same time, I was told that Fraze Pavillion was posted with "No firearms" signs.

I have never been to Fraze Pavillion, but their website, which has some great pictures of that venue, also says "FIREARMS ARE STRICTLY FORBIDDEN!" Their emphasis, not mine.

What puzzles me is why that venue is posted.

It is owned by the city and it is not a building (it's even advertised as an outdoor venue).

It was mentioned that it might be because it is proximate to government buildings, but that is not relevant. There are no laws restricting firearms from being near buildings, only in them.

In addition to confirming that park signs have been corrected, can you let me know why Fraze Pavillion is still posted?

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
Received 6/25
Dear "MWSY":

Thank you for your email.

With regard to your inquiries, I have the following information:

City Park Signs

The City has taken all the administrative steps necessary for all the City park signs to be corrected. The Parks Department is determining the most cost effective way to change the signs. As you can imagine, there are a large number of signs to remove, re-letter and then re-hang. The task is being handled as quickly and efficiently as our Parks Department resources will allow.

As I discussed with you in an earlier email, the rules regarding firearm carry in parks are known to the City, and there has never been any enforcement action taken by the City in violation of the Ohio Revised Code. This was always simply a matter of updating the park signs to reflect current Ohio law.

Fraze Pavilion

I believe you may have been misinformed by someone in relation to the Fraze Pavilion.

I took time to visit the Fraze Pavilion in person, to see for myself if there was any inappropriate signage or other issues at that location. There were none.

The only “no carry” signs posted were those posted on the window of the building which houses the Fraze ticket office, and those posted for the Fraze Pavilion building itself.

There is no restricted posting for the open air portions of the surrounding park or the Civic Commons.

There may be some confusion due to the fact that people refer to the entire area in which the Fraze Pavilion is located as “The Fraze”. However, this area is actually comprised of multiple components: a park, a Civic Commons, a concession stand, the ticket office, restrooms, a patio seating area, several large water features, a walking trail and the Fraze Pavilion building.

The open air portions of the area known as “The Fraze” are similar to a local park. As you know, this means that open carry is legal (for anyone who may legally possess a firearm).

This also means that concealed carry is legal, for anyone with a valid Ohio CHL, or qualifying out of State CHL.

In contrast to this general area called “The Fraze”, the actual Fraze Pavilion is simply the building which houses the concert venue. As is true of government owned venues which host entertainment events in Cincinnati and Cleveland, the interior space of the Fraze Pavilion building itself is not available for open or concealed carry.

Similar to entering a Cincinnati Reds game or a Cincinnati Bengals game, anyone may access the common areas adjacent to the venue. However, one may not pass through a checkpoint for entry into the venue with any item not permitted inside the venue. Prohibited items could include anything from alcohol or a video camera, to firearms, knives, fireworks, signs, banners, etc., depending on the particular rules of the venue.

Again, thank you for your email. I appreciate your reasonable approach to this discussion, and wish all the inquiries I receive were as clear and concise as yours.

Sincerely,

Jim Long
City Prosecutor
Kettering, Ohio

Sent 6/25
Dear Mr. Long-

Thanks for your attention in this matter. Really. Thank you.

We've come a long way from me just wanting to visit Delco Park!

I understand that budgets and manpower concerns come into play, but this is a 5 year old law.

If a law-abiding citizen looks at posted park rules and reads that firearms are not allowed, those law-abiding citizens are 'tricked' into following illegal laws and will leave or disarm themselves. That's why, morally, they cannot be left on the books, even if not enforced.

I do hope the Parks Department was asked to make this a priority.

As for Fraze Pavillion, as I said, I have never been there. After seeing some of the acts booked for that venue, I may have to visit!

There are 2 issues at the Fraze that I have been informed about. The first is that the Fraze website has the statement (which I mentioned in a previous email):

"FIREARMS ARE STRICTLY FORBIDDEN!"

According to what you mention in your email, that statement seems way too vague. Firearms are strictly forbidden WHERE? It needs corrected or removed.

The second issue, and I have merely been told this, is that there are 'no guns' signs on the bathrooms at Fraze. I have asked the person that mentioned this to get some photographs so I could see what he's talking about.

I do not know where the bathrooms are located and can't really form an opinion without more info.

Again, I appreciate your help with these issues, and I'll leave you with one last comment.

You stated that government buildings are off-limits to open and concealed carriers.

This is not correct.

Do not panic, but there are no state laws prohibiting the OPEN carry of firearms into most state and local government buildings.

Have a great day!

-"MWSY"
MyWifeSaidYes
fisher3

Post by fisher3 »

What Mr. Long refers to as the Fraze building is not correct IMO. The place were acts are hosted is a clearly an open air venue. There is essentially a fence around this but they have a large grassy area inside the building and sell lawn seats. It has been a long time since I have been there but it is clearly not like the Reds or other private facilities and it is not a government building assuming that a building needs a roof and floor .
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

In contrast to this general area called “The Fraze”, the actual Fraze Pavilion is simply the building which houses the concert venue. As is true of government owned venues which host entertainment events in Cincinnati and Cleveland, the interior space of the Fraze Pavilion building itself is not available for open or concealed carry.
There is no building at the Fraze Pavillion area that houses the concert "venue". There's a building that houses the concert stage and backstage area.

That's a picture from their own website. Does that look like the people attending the concert are in a building?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

fisher wrote:Their is a concession building which has a lower level which can only be accessed by walking down and behind the building. The bathrooms are inside, so it does appear as though the sign might be legitimate, but I still think it is silly and should come down.
Is the concession building separate from other buildings? Are the people that work the concession stands city employees?
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

fisher wrote:As a side note, bags are searched upon entry, and their website says no weapons are permitted (including knives).
There are two places on the website that mention weapons. That's one.

To see the other, go to the link on the Fraze website that says "About the venue". You'll see the following: "FIREARMS ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED!"

Their emphasis, not mine.
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:CC4me - Good to know specifics. Is there any chance you or another forum member could post photos of the actual signs? Pictures from multiple parks would be good.

BobK - Is there a description on OFCC about the case you mentioned? If not, is there a case number or anything I can use to look up the case? PM me if necessary.

The law director say the city is "in the process of updating the language of local park signs..." I'll be asking him when the signs will be updated. He knows the signs are illegal, but they haven't been changed or taken down.

Sounds like they're open to yet another lawsuit. :)
Now now, sign changing takes a long time. It's government after all. First they have to put out bids to all sign companies to make new signs. Then they have to review all those bids. Then they have to have two council hearings to approve the bid. Then they have to have special sessions to determine the look of the new signs. Then more votes and talks. Give it about 10 months and they will be changed. :roll:

Sad thing is, that's kinda actually serious in this day and age.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:...The law director say the city is "in the process of updating the language of local park signs..." I'll be asking him when the signs will be updated. He knows the signs are illegal, but they haven't been changed or taken down.

Sounds like they're open to yet another lawsuit. :)
Now now, sign changing takes a long time. It's government after all. First they have to put out bids to all sign companies to make new signs. Then they have to review all those bids. Then they have to have two council hearings to approve the bid. Then they have to have special sessions to determine the look of the new signs. Then more votes and talks. Give it about 10 months and they will be changed. :roll:

Sad thing is, that's kinda actually serious in this day and age.
Unless they go with the FIX, THEN REPLACE method.

It only takes one (1) meeting to declare an emergency and pass a resolution to "cover any portion of a municipal sign or park sign containing a rule or regulation that may be in violation of the laws of the State of Ohio". Then they can get the duct tape out. Turtlecreek Township actually got out a roll of white refective material to cover the offending portion of their signs.

Then they start on the replacement process. And they can take as long as they want as long as people can't see the 'bad' rules. :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes