Crocker Park in Westlake?

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Friar Whently

Crocker Park in Westlake?

Post by Friar Whently »

So I had read on previous threads about Crocker Park being vehemently opposed to CCW with signs posted at nearly every parking entrance, as well as other signage sprinkled about. I don't have my CHL yet (applying tomorrow, as it happens), but I've been keeping an eye out for signs wherever I go now. Well, I went to Crocker Park last night to see a movie and didn't give a second thought to looking for signs until I was leaving, and I saw nothing after a cursory glance around on my way out. So today I decided to drive out there on my way to the range and give it a more thorough scoping.

I drove through every parking lot there and I saw no signs anywhere, nor where there any signs posted on entrances to the shops I drove by. The only thing I found was a sign by one parking lot that read something to the effect of "by shopping here, all guests agree to abide by the Crocker Park Code of Conduct, which is posted in the Guest Relations Office." That's it, no mention of firearms. Since I was on my way to the range, I didn't try to hunt for a parking space so I could go read the Code of Conduct for myself. There also is nothing resembling a Code of Conduct on their website.

Could it be that Crocker Park is no longer a CPZ? I gotta say, if this place is posted, it sure isn't obvious.
Plinko

Re: Crocker Park in Westlake?

Post by Plinko »

The signs are posted at the entrances. You almost have to look as you are making your turn. If you have straightened your car out while driving in then you have already passed them. I believe that development is from Stark Enterprises and they have all of their parking lots posted.

By the way, why would you go specifically looking for signs? If you find them then technically you will knowingly violate them too. While there is no criminal penalty for Crocker, a person could argue that they are not conspicuously posted and they never saw them. They are very easy to miss. Don't go out of your way sign hunting. If it is not obvious and in your face then the sign is invalid....JMO.
bigdan390

Re: Crocker Park in Westlake?

Post by bigdan390 »

Last time I was by there, albeit a while ago as I choose to spend my money where my safety is not left to the whims of criminals with guns, most of the signs were beginning to fade. Apparently lots of GB signs designed for parking lots have a built in expiration date or "sunset" provision (bad pun). They fade away and are just white rectangles after a few years.

Not complaining mind you. Just an observation...

So if the sign is not visible, it is still a cpz???? Hummm.. Still plan to spend my money elsewhere. But I think not.
BigDan390
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

I am not a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV. Get your legal opinions from a professional.
Mine may not even be worth what you paid for them.