CC/Open Carry in Summity Cty & Ohio Parks

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
archerylady

CC/Open Carry in Summity Cty & Ohio Parks

Post by archerylady »

I have received conflicting information. I want to cc in Summit County Metroparks. I have been told that the phrase "unless otherwise authorized by law" means police, etc. Another told me I had to open carry. Here is the complete segment listed on the Summit Cty Metropark site regarding weapons:

6.1 Weapons and Firearms: No person except Park Rangers or other certified peace officers of Metro Parks, Serving Summit County shall possess, carry, control, discharge, use, brandish, convey, or attempt to convey firearms of any description, deadly weapons, dangerous ordinances, explosive substances, or replica weapons in the Park without first obtaining a written permit from the Director-Secretary, unless otherwise authorized by law.The term “weapons” shall include, but is not limited to: firearms; compressed gas or spring-powered pistols or rifles; air rifles; bows and arrows; crossbows; paintball markers; blowguns; spearguns; spears; edged weapons; swords; darts;sling-shots; irritant gas devices; explosive devices; any other implement designed to discharge missiles; and any other weapon, the possession of which is prohibited under the laws of the State of Ohio.The term “replica weapons” shall include any device which might reasonably be perceived to be a real weapon.

By law and being a CCW licensee, I should be able to cc. Is this correct? :?

Thank you.
Last edited by archerylady on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pirateguy191

Re: CC/Open Carry in Summity Cty & Ohio Parks

Post by pirateguy191 »

Open carry is legal as is concealed carry with your CHL.

Please look at this thread: http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=53437
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Fonejack54

Post by Fonejack54 »

Pirateguy said it right but keep in mind that the "unless authorized by law" DOES NOT pertain to us so don't use that as justification to carry places.
'The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!'" Eleanor Roosevelt

"For me to live is Christ, to die is gain" Apostle Paul
landrvrnut22

Post by landrvrnut22 »

I have been doing the fall hiking spree since I was a year old, got my CHL in 2005, and have carried in the parks every time, every year. There are no signs, it is not an enumerated cpz, carry on.

EDIT: Forgot, The Naturealm building is posted. Havent been to the park headquarters in awhile, but it is also probably posted.

The only place where you "could" get hung up is if you carried into one of the picnic shelters, however, that is debatable since there are no staff, and you "lease" the premises for the day.
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

If Summit County Metroparks are (and likely they are) a political subdivision, they can only legally post buildings that are not primarily rest areas or restrooms. Because of ORC 9.68, they cannot forbid firearms (CHL or not) in the parks.

I would request this thread moved to the ORC 9.68 forums and/or give their offices a call and see about them updating their rules to comply with state law.
jasoninkent

Post by jasoninkent »

I was just at the new metro park in Monroe Falls today. I noticed the same rules and regulations posted there with rule 6.1 prohibiting weapons. From their FAQ on the website:
Metro Parks, Serving Summit County is a metropolitan park district that is funded by a Summit County real estate tax.
9.68 absolutely does apply here and I used to contact form on their website http://www.summitmetroparks.org to voice my concern.
I was at the new park in Monroe Falls today for a hike with my family. I read some of the information that was on the board and was disturbed to find that a new park has the out dated rules regarding weapons posted. Rule 6.1 in your rules and regulations is contrary to ORC 9.68 regarding statewide preemption of firearms laws. I have seen this publication posted in other parks but I assumed that it was just a left over rules and regulations from before 9.68 was passed. Please note, this rule is completely unenforceable and is posted in violation of 9.68. It can also cause confusion both to citizens and law enforcement who are uneducated as to what the state law says. Thank you for your time and please feel free to contact me with any questions. I look forward to the rules being changed.
I will post here if I receive a reply.
jasoninkent

Post by jasoninkent »

I received this reply today.
Thanks for your interest in the Metro Parks. Our attorneys have advised us that the phrase "unless otherwise authorized by law" in Rule 6.1 is sufficient language to address Ohio's concealed and open-carry laws. With questions, please contact Ranger Captain Greg Carris at 330-865-8052.
BobK

Post by BobK »

jasoninkent wrote:I received this reply today.
Thanks for your interest in the Metro Parks. Our attorneys have advised us that the phrase "unless otherwise authorized by law" in Rule 6.1 is sufficient language to address Ohio's concealed and open-carry laws. With questions, please contact Ranger Captain Greg Carris at 330-865-8052.
WOW!
That really stinks.

Basically, he is saying he knows the signs are misleading and worthless, since "unless otherwise authorized by law" means everyone can open carry -- in other words, the sign applies to nobody except felons, drunken people, mentally ill, and anyone else who is disqualified from firearms.

But they are going to deliberately leave the signs up as part of a policy to mislead ordinary people and scare them into being unarmed, since the ordinary person is not an attorney who can parse that double-speak. Sounds like 1984 or Animal Farm all over again.

Sounds like it is torches and pitchforks time again.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bob, the latest incarnation of signage at Fountain Square (downtown Cincinnati) is similarly weasel-worded. To the uninformed it seems like carry is forbidden to all but law enforcement there. When I think about it I'll have a close look-see and then quote it verbatim on here.

The whimsical part of me wants to shoot bullet holes into the signs, but that would be counterproductive and not covered by ORC 9.68...Cincy would have me on a violation of the city's firearms discharge ordinance, which they're still allowed to enforce. :wink: Plus ammo is too expensive to throw around so frivolously these days. (I'm tongue-in-cheek here again, everybody.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

I'm curious to their Ranger's enforcement of this rule. Would they stop me if I OC'd there? :)
jasoninkent

Post by jasoninkent »

I was CC the day I went to that park but I will be OC from now on, I think, just because of this.
Chad2423

Post by Chad2423 »

Alrighty......... I am in summit county metro parks on a weekly basis and just so I understand what everyone is saying here correctly; despite what the park website says and the signs that may or may not be posted, (i haven't seen any) i can CC there with no worry of breaking any laws or causing any issues??

Thank you in advance
To this you were called......
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Chad2423 wrote:Alrighty......... I am in summit county metro parks on a weekly basis and just so I understand what everyone is saying here correctly; despite what the park website says and the signs that may or may not be posted, (i haven't seen any) i can CC there with no worry of breaking any laws or causing any issues??

Thank you in advance
As long as you have your CHL, you can CC and you will NOT be breaking any laws.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Chad2423

Post by Chad2423 »

I do and thank you......
To this you were called......