Ohio State Fair

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
rhwiley

Ohio State Fair

Post by rhwiley »

It seems like forever since I've last posted anything. However, I wonder if anyone has attended the Ohio State Fair while carrying? I understand they have the metal detectors at the gate, but also noted in their rules where they state "illegal weapons are prohibited". Since I don't know of anything which would make carrying illegal in this case, I would think it should be allowed. So, I am interested if anyone else has been there yet, and if there were any problems.

Thank you,

Bob Wiley
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Ohio State Fair

Post by Javelin Man »

My daughter and I were told to put our pocket knives inside our pockets so the clip wouldn't show. :roll: My leather holster was eyed very closely but not a word was said. I didn't carry as I knew I needed to go inside some buildings.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
awalker19

Post by awalker19 »

I have not but you have to stay out of the buildings.
"He who does not prevent a crime, when he can, encourages it"

"quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
BobK

Post by BobK »

Previous years there have been posts about licensees attending armed. The OSHP at the entrance know that you are allowed. As mentioned, it is illegal to go inside any buildings (unless it is primarily a restroom).
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

As mentioned, it is illegal to go inside any buildings (unless it is primarily a restroom).
When I went there last year, a building that was nothing but restrooms was very clearly posted with nice, new signs. :roll:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

I'm glad I asked. I need to go in a building or two for some judging with my daughter, but really hate securing everything back in the vehicle. I haven't been there for several years, but thought the barns and such would be good as long as they weren't offices. Again, I'm glad I asked. Thanks folks!
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

I thought the law had been changed to allow us into buildings as long the buildings were not office or work type buildings.. something to the effect of government employees not being there most of the time?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

OHIOSTEVE wrote:I thought the law had been changed to allow us into buildings as long the buildings were not office or work type buildings.. something to the effect of government employees not being there most of the time?
Something about any building that government employees do not regularly visit? As I remember it.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Cruiser wrote:Something about any building that government employees do not regularly visit? As I remember it.
The language is almost identical to the language used in the federal law prohibiting weapons in federal facilities. Sadly it seems that only the feds have taken a common sense approach whereas most Ohio agencies are of the opinion that if they own it it's a CPZ.

Back when National Park carry was in the works a spokesman was on record as saying that they were evaluating all buildings under their control to determine which qualified and which did not. He said something along the lines of their determination was based on whether or not an employee had their duty station there. Thus an outbuilding like a restroom would not be off limits since although employees were present from time to time nobody had an office and a scheduled "tour of duty" there. On the other hand a visitor's center was definitely a CPZ.

Taking their approach I would argue that at the fairgrounds (both state and county) about the only facilities that would qualify would be the office and ticket office. Just because an employee goes into the 4H building to turn on the lights every morning and take out the trash at night doesn't mean it's a regular duty station.

At the very least someone could threaten to sue them for posting the stand alone bathrooms under 9.68. I don't have standing because I don't go and have no interest in going :)
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

The last time I was at the Mercer County Fairgrounds I did not see any CPZ signs on the livestock buildings!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Mikado613

Ohio State Fair

Post by Mikado613 »

Info from the Ohio State Fair web site:

Conditions for Admission

The safety of our fairgoers, exhibitors and employees is our number one priority. In an effort to ensure the highest level of safety and security, please do not bring any illegal weapons or substances to the Fair.

-Prior to entry, you will be asked to walk through a magnetometer.

-Purses, backpacks, book bags, coolers, strollers, etc. are permitted, but are subject to search.

:( :roll:
BobK

Post by BobK »

I am just fine with banning "illegal weapons".

Do a forum search for "ohio state fair". Besides finding this has been discussed to death (including the second time today I have answered this question), you'll also find concealed carry licensees are allowed to carry, they are passed through the metal detectors, the OSHP know full well what the score is.

Just don't carry inside any buildings except stand-alone restrooms..
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Mikado613 wrote:Info from the Ohio State Fair web site:

Conditions for Admission

The safety of our fairgoers, exhibitors and employees is our number one priority. In an effort to ensure the highest level of safety and security, please do not bring any illegal weapons or substances to the Fair.

-Prior to entry, you will be asked to walk through a magnetometer.

-Purses, backpacks, book bags, coolers, strollers, etc. are permitted, but are subject to search.

:( :roll:
And it has been explained that you inform and OSP will say "you know were you can and can't go right? " Then you go right on in with your carry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
johnisaly

Post by johnisaly »

I walked thru that metal detector at the gates probably about 10 times at last year’s fair. A couple of times the detector didn’t even sound off. I don’t think they had it turned on. About 7 times I set off the alarm as I passed through it, but the troopers didn’t stop me and I walked right past them through the gate.

It is my opinion that the troopers are using the metal detector in conjunction with some rigid profiling. If you are wearing droopy britches, colors, or are covered with ink; you can plan on getting wanded.

The one time they did motion me over; I declared and was on my way. Don’t forget to declare if they stop you, and do so immediately. It is no different than a traffic stop IF they approach you. If they do not approach you, keep on walking.

I have heard that some of the criminal types try to smuggle in their gang hardware & street pharmaceuticals by having their baby mamas stash it in the baby strollers under the new 6 month old. :(

After you get inside, if you decide you want to enter a building, there are usually a bank of coin operated lockers located just inside the fairgrounds near the north (Cardinal) gate where you can store your pistola.
John in Columbus
"The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent"
awalker19

Post by awalker19 »

johnisaly wrote: After you get inside, if you decide you want to enter a building, there are usually a bank of coin operated lockers located just inside the fairgrounds near the north (Cardinal) gate where you can store your pistola.
I would never do that. :shock:
"He who does not prevent a crime, when he can, encourages it"

"quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"