East Harbor State Park - Posted No Guns

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Freddie

East Harbor State Park - Posted No Guns

Post by Freddie »

Not sure where else to post this. I've visited EHSP a few times so far this year. Their little check-in building at the gate for the campground, has a no guns sign. Says guns are not permitted on the premisis. I'm pretty sure from previous discussions that they by law cannot post that sign, that you can only not carry inside buildings where there are park employees.

Its been a year or two, but I'm pretty sure Charben was going to have the sign taken down. Just curious if anyone can provide any direction here on how to procede with getting the sign removed.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: East Harbor State Park - Posted No Guns

Post by jgarvas »

Freddie wrote:Not sure where else to post this. I've visited EHSP a few times so far this year. Their little check-in building at the gate for the campground, has a no guns sign. Says guns are not permitted on the premisis. I'm pretty sure from previous discussions that they by law cannot post that sign, that you can only not carry inside buildings where there are park employees.

Its been a year or two, but I'm pretty sure Charben was going to have the sign taken down. Just curious if anyone can provide any direction here on how to procede with getting the sign removed.
Can you get a photo? These should be posted in the ORC 9.68 compliance area. Send a PM to Chris if you read this and he hasn't responded to this thread yet. Is it possible the building you're referring to is an area run by an entity other than the state?
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

If the sign is on the building and is the standard state sign it is perfectly valid, you can't carry in the building.

Now if the bathrooms are posted that is a different story.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I didn't get a picture when I was last up there. I have friends that live nearby and am going to have one of them stop by and snap a picture.

The sign is posted at the little building at the gated entrance into the campground. The building itself is not open to the public I believe, the location of the sign leads me to believe they're attempting to post the campground.

I will get pictures as soon as possible!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Freddie wrote:I didn't get a picture when I was last up there. I have friends that live nearby and am going to have one of them stop by and snap a picture.

The sign is posted at the little building at the gated entrance into the campground. The building itself is not open to the public I believe, the location of the sign leads me to believe they're attempting to post the campground.

I will get pictures as soon as possible!
All government buildings, even the little guard kiosks, are supposed to be posted. I'm sure that the park administrators aren't worried that patrons may misconstrue the posting and think that they aren't allowed to carry in the park though.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

schmieg wrote:All government buildings, even the little guard kiosks, are supposed to be posted. I'm sure that the park administrators aren't worried that patrons may misconstrue the posting and think that they aren't allowed to carry in the park though.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right about them not worrying about that sign being misconstrued. I'm still going to address it.
sprranger

Post by sprranger »

I'm glad this is being addressed, as I've noticed that sign the last few years. If I recall, the sign is located not at a door entry, but to the left or right of a drive-up window where you stop for 30 seconds to check-in. It absolutely gives the impression that the whole park is a CPZ. We may be going up there in a couple weekends - I will see. Let me know if you need me to communicate anything in person.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Mohican's main campground area has the same shack and sign. They intentionally give the false impression that carry is banned there, when it's not. As Brian D. would say, Stop worrying, shut up, and carry that gun. I may be out there yet this summer. I'll get a picture of that one too.
The British are going! The British are going!
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Let me know if I need to get involved.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

muxtech wrote:Mohican's main campground area has the same shack and sign. They intentionally give the false impression that carry is banned there, when it's not. As Brian D. would say, Stop worrying, shut up, and carry that gun. I may be out there yet this summer. I'll get a picture of that one too.
But it matters that it get taken down, as there are 200,000+ CHL holders in Ohio and an unknown number of open carriers. This forum has 7000 members, I think.

We know we can carry there. A layman may not.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

gmhiggins wrote: But it matters that it get taken down...
That depends. If it is properly posted, there is nothing we really can do except make sure as many people as possible are educated.
Chris

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Sounds like it needs to be moved to a doorway instead of at the drive up window.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Cruiser wrote:Sounds like it needs to be moved to a doorway instead of at the drive up window.
That may be. I need to see the picture yet. Once I do, I can perhaps have a conversation with the Rangers. But, "technically" it would seem to be a legal posting. I'll have to appeal to the Ranger's sensibilities.
Chris

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

charben wrote:
Cruiser wrote:Sounds like it needs to be moved to a doorway instead of at the drive up window.
That may be. I need to see the picture yet. Once I do, I can perhaps have a conversation with the Rangers. But, "technically" it would seem to be a legal posting. I'll have to appeal to the Ranger's sensibilities.
I guess some people just like to crawl through windows and they need to be informed.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
bigdan390

Post by bigdan390 »

charben wrote:
Or perhaps threaten an Open Carry M&G for say a weekend... :lol:

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

It does sound a bit over done. Good luck guys.
BigDan390
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

I am not a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV. Get your legal opinions from a professional.
Mine may not even be worth what you paid for them.