Columbus Commons (city park) : Weapons prohibited

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
P-chan

Columbus Commons (city park) : Weapons prohibited

Post by P-chan »

http://columbuscommons.org/visit/park-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Park guidelines prohibit...

* Weapons of any kind, with the exception of law enforcement officers and subject to Ohio Revised Code Chapter 2923.
* Illegal activities, posting of signs, destroying or defacing park property, metal detectors, sleeping, panhandling, skateboarding, feeding pigeons, fires, wading, swimming, camping, littering, golf, remote control or motorized toys....<snip>

Park Rules and Regulations are subject to change.
This is quite vague, specifically the part about being subject to ORC 2923. There are quite a few sections of 2923, including the one that allows for licensed concealed carry. Does this mean that CHL holders can carry there? What about open carry? I would like to see some clarification on this, because I'm sure the "subject to ORC 2923" will probably appear on printed signage at the park if it isn't there already.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Columbus Commons (city park) : Weapons prohibited

Post by charben »

P-chan wrote:http://columbuscommons.org/visit/park-rules/

* Weapons of any kind, with the exception of law enforcement officers and subject to Ohio Revised Code Chapter 2923.
* Illegal activities, posting of signs, destroying or defacing park property, metal detectors, sleeping, panhandling, skateboarding, feeding pigeons, fires, wading, swimming, camping, littering, golf, remote control or motorized toys....<snip>

This is quite vague, specifically the part about being subject to ORC 2923. There are quite a few sections of 2923, including the one that allows for licensed concealed carry. Does this mean that CHL holders can carry there? What about open carry? I would like to see some clarification on this, because I'm sure the "subject to ORC 2923" will probably appear on printed signage at the park if it isn't there already.
Looks to me like they specifically included the 2923 language because they thought it would allow them to comply with 9.68. However, since 2923 does not mention open carry, the way the rules are written, it appears that they would prohibit it...therefore putting them back out of compliance with 9.68.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
P-chan

Post by P-chan »

charben wrote:
P-chan wrote:http://columbuscommons.org/visit/park-rules/

Looks to me like they specifically included the 2923 language because they thought it would allow them to comply with 9.68. However, since 2923 does not mention open carry, the way the rules are written, it appears that they would prohibit it...therefore putting them back out of compliance with 9.68.
That's what I figured. Are you going to call them and sort it out? I know that's kind of your thing... :D
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

P-chan wrote: That's what I figured. Are you going to call them and sort it out? I know that's kind of your thing... :D
I'd be happy to. However, this week I am swamped and cannot promise I'll get to it. If you would like to make the call yourself, I can coach you on what to say. PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
nola740

Post by nola740 »

Was there this morning, its posted on the big park rules sign. Has anyone got the wheels turning on this?
Gforty

Post by Gforty »

Was this situation ever corrected/clarified?
The on-line version of the Park Rules does not appear to have changed from the reference to ORC 2923. :roll:
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Just sent this:
To whom it may concern-

Can you please advise me on the rules regarding firearms at Columbus Commons Park and other parks in Columbus?

I prefer to openly carry my handgun in a hip holster. I was advised by an acquaintance that openly carried firearms are not allowed at the park.

Since this goes against state preemption (ORC 9.68), I was hoping you could confirm for me what the rules actually are.

Thanks!

-Dave Noice
Email deleted per TOS - Jake
May 15, 2012
MyWifeSaidYes
boothdt

Post by boothdt »

Jeebus, what exactly are you supposed to do for fun in a park?
“How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.” -Suzanna Hupp
mva1985

Post by mva1985 »

Was there any update on this. I received an email about the Micheal McDonald concert that is gonna be held there and one of the things they list is no weapons allowed.

Anyone?
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

If it is a private entity putting on the concert, and they are leasing the property then they are able to post it as a CPZ.

(3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
mva1985

Post by mva1985 »

I'm not even sure how I would go about finding that out... It is being advertised as a FREE concert.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

mva1985 wrote:I'm not even sure how I would go about finding that out... It is being advertised as a FREE concert.
The question is who is putting it on? Do you have a flyer for it or link to some advertisement? Every year Blue Ash does the Red, White, and Blue Ash. For the past many years it was on public property and now it's on private property. They have always posted no CCW. :roll: However, even with the change in venue, it's still a Blue Ash event. Therefore I don't think they can post it. The busineses may be able to, but even then, I'd argue it's a parking lot and one roadway that they shut down. So, it's a civil matter. :lol:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

The web site makes no mention of no weapons
http://www.columbuscommons.org/happenin ... g-weekend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Feel welcome to bring the following:

Lawn or folding chairs
Breathable blankets
Coolers (we reserve the right to search coolers)
Food and non-alcoholic beverages (food and beverages will be sold at the event as well)
Bicycles, providing they are locked up at appropriate bike racks throughout the park.

The following items will not be permitted:

Alcoholic beverages (alcohol will be sold at the event)
Plastic tarps
Tents
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
mva1985

Post by mva1985 »

Yeah i saw that but the email i received mentioned it. Im not overly concerned about it.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I haven't received a reply to my email. I'll make a phone call, then a FOIA request, if needed.
MyWifeSaidYes