Columbus Commons (city park) : Weapons prohibited

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
BB62

Re: Columbus Commons (city park) : Weapons prohibited

Post by BB62 »

Maybe someone ought to ask why the city is subsidizing a "private" park?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

As Columbus South is a separate, private business entity, the city will simply say that they are entitled to do as they see fit with any monies they may receive from the city of Columbus if it furthers the cause of redeveloping the city.

Columbus Commons IS a much better feature than City Center Mall ever was.

If I could afford to buy the land that is Columbus Commons, I would transfer it back to the city with the deed restriction that it only be used as a park and never privatized.

Isn't it amazing how generous one can be when you know it's never going to happen! :D :) :shock: :(
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:As Columbus South is a separate, private business entity, the city will simply say that they are entitled to do as they see fit with any monies they may receive from the city of Columbus if it furthers the cause of redeveloping the city...
Maybe so, but it's worthwhile (for those who live there and have the desire to do so) to put politicians on the record.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Columbus citizens need to get rid of Mayor Coleman first. Then they might be able to change some things.

City council seems to be in his pocket.
MyWifeSaidYes
mva1985

Post by mva1985 »

Drove all the way around Columbus Commons today and 3 of the 4 entrances were posted CPZ... there's just no fixing stupid.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

For the armchair (and real) lawyers here...

If one gets hurt on this property where it was/is owned by the city but is run by this private entity, I don't know...trips on a broken curb and breaks an arm in the fall...does one sue both the city and this private entity?

I use this hypothetical only to get a feeling for how deep this liabillity goes.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The Columbus Commons land is actually now owned by the corporation. You could only sue them.

If a city leased the land out, or hired the maintenence out, to another entity, you could sue them both, if their agreements did not indemnify one or the other.

IMHO. IANAL. YMMV. DTAIOTI. :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I would leave it alone.

If you haven't seen the sign, you are NOT violating any law or rule.

The words "conspicuous" and "knowingly" work in your favor.

They will not take down their signs because Columbus South is run by lackeys of Mayor Coleman, a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Stir the pot and they will be happy to post all entrances. :(

From where I have entered up Town it's posted as soon as you walk in. If this is a shell corp that gets most if not all it's funding from the city then I think it would be a "state actor". :D

That's a stretch I know.

Edit: sorry I didn't see My Wife Said Yes' post on the land actually being owned by the private company.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

wobblygoblin wrote:Edit: sorry I didn't see My Wife Said Yes' post on the land actually being owned by the private company.
Remember: It's just a nice lawn in place of a shopping mall that didn't work out.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.