Dayton's firearm owners ID card.

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Suckerspawn

Re: Dayton's firearm owners ID card.

Post by Suckerspawn »

I copied it to a clerk in the law office and also to a clerk in the commissioner's office.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I like it when my emails get forwarded and forwarded some more. :twisted: Makes for more things to request in future records requests.

"I noticed this email was forwarded to ****, but **** did not provide that document in answer to my records request. What ELSE is **** hiding?"

Been there. Done that. :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

anything new on this :shock:
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I like it when my emails get forwarded and forwarded some more. :twisted: Makes for more things to request in future records requests.

"I noticed this email was forwarded to ****, but **** did not provide that document in answer to my records request. What ELSE is **** hiding?"

Been there. Done that. :mrgreen:
I would say half the time it's incompetent records people. I've seen it happen where records were requested and not everything released because records were kept in other locations or the records employee did not know to check in some obvious places.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
varro

Post by varro »

I hate to resurrect this post again, but I'd really like to know if this ended up going anywhere.
"The unarmed man is not just defenseless; he is also contemptible." -- Machiavellli

"Beware the fury of a patient man." -- John Dryden
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

varro wrote:I hate to resurrect this post again, but I'd really like to know if this ended up going anywhere.
Nope.
MyWifeSaidYes
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

The City Law Department seemed cooperative in the beginning. I just checked the city code which is has updates through January 26, 2016. The Firearm Owner's identification card is still required.

Application for the card is made through the Chief of Police's office. I just called the Chief's office. I talked to a Sargent. He said the law had been repealed, he knew it was not being enforced anyway. He is going to look for an internal email that announced the repeal of the ordinance and send it to me when he finds it.

I called the law office also, but could only leave a message. I requested the repeal information.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

The Sargent I talked to earlier sent my request to another Sargent who just called me. To his knowledge the ordinances have not been repealed but the police have been told the ordinances are unenforceable. He agrees they should be taken off the books.

I explained to him one problem that has come up has to do with Dayton's ordinance against 'assault weapons'. Out of state shooting suppliers are refusing to ship certain components, i.e. rifle magazines that hold more than ten rounds, to Dayton zip codes because of the ordinances.

I am still waiting on a call from the city attorney's office.
Last edited by Suckerspawn on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Suckerspawn wrote:The City Law Department seemed cooperative in the beginning. I just checked the city code which is has updates through January 26, 2016. The Firearm Owner's identification card is still required.

Application for the card is made through the Chief of Police's office. I just called the Chief's office. I talked to a Sargent. He said the law had been repealed, he knew it was not being enforced anyway. He is going to look for an internal email that announced the repeal of the ordinance and send it to me when he finds it.

I called the law office also, but could only leave a message. I requested the repeal information.

Thank you for your efforts.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Maybe if they start getting multiple calls............they will be a bit more interested ????

I'm game.

WHO'S WITH ME ?????????????????? (John Belushi, "Animal House")...............
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Well, the City of Dayton has been totally unresponsive since June of 2015. There was no response to my open records request. The laws are still on the books.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Suckerspawn wrote:Well, the City of Dayton has been totally unresponsive since June of 2015. There was no response to my open records request. The laws are still on the books.
The problem is to remove laws from the books requires a council vote. To not enforce laws on the books only requires a memo. Since 2002 nobody has needed a permit to go soliciting door to door. Yet, many cities still require registration and/or paying fees to get a permit. For some reason councils don't like the bad press of updating their books to comply with court rulings and other laws, even though when they are attacked by the anti's for doing so they can simply say "just updating to comply with XXXXX now."
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Or another possibility, they keep the laws on the books so that when political winds change and state law is modified their ordinances are back in effect.