Lake County Metroparks

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
GWC

Lake County Metroparks

Post by GWC »

Lake County Metroparks has two rules in conflict with state law:

3.0 FIREARMS, FIREWORKS, EXPLOSIVES, AND BOWS AND ARROWS.

3.1 Firearms, missile throwing devices, air or gas guns.
No person, except Rangers of the Board, or other Law Enforcement Officers, shall carry firearms of any description, air or gas gun, sling shot, or missile throwing device within the Park, or discharge any firearms, or air or gas gun in or onto Park lands.

3.4 Carrying dangerous weapons.
No person, except Park Rangers, Law Enforcement Officers of the Board, or other Law Enforcement Officers shall have or carry any firearm, switchblade, hunting knife, dagger, metal knuckles, slingshot, or other dangerous weapons concealed or about his person while in the Park, provided, however, that the within regulation shall not be applicable to persons using Park lands for hunting purposes when said persons have fully and completely complied with all of the requirements established for hunting on Park lands.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Lake County Metroparks

Post by charben »

Yep. Clearly in violation. I will give a call today.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
GWC

Post by GWC »

thanks
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".

charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I didn't get to today. On my list for tomorrow.
Chris

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
GWC

Post by GWC »

any update?

Johnny Law

Post by Johnny Law »

I just checked the Lake Metroparks web site and the prohibition is still listed. I wonder if and when it will be corrected.
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sabalo »

Johnny Law wrote:I just checked the Lake Metroparks web site and the prohibition is still listed. I wonder if and when it will be corrected.
I think the "IF" is the big question. Some of these small burgs could care less about the law.
They are small fiefdoms and won't make any changes unless they are forced to under threats of monetary penalties.
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Here is the reply I received today:
Thank you for your interest.

Local ordinances are over ridden by the constitutional change. Consequently this rule un enforceable as it applies to CCW.

I will forward your observations on.

Steve Madewell
I have no idea what he means by "constitutional change" but I replied this way:
I presume, then, that the Rangers have been appropriately (or will be) instructed?
Standing by...
Chris

rmalehorn

Post by rmalehorn »

Mr. Madewell is still executive director of the Lakemetro Parks. The rule is still listed on the web site, and is posted in the parks, on a board well inside the park with other park information. It is a listing of all the rules for park use. I took a picture of the listing of summarized rules today posted in the parks showing this:
3.0 Firearms, fireworks, explosives and bows and arrows are prohibited.

I realize without an ordinance supporting the rule, this is probably not a high priority for OFCC. I would like suggestions, I am considering either writing Mr. Madewell to find out the results of his looking into it were 2 years ago and why the parks are still posted as such, or, contacting the rangers to find out if they have been directed that this is unenforceable.
Bob from Willoughby
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

rmalehorn wrote:Mr. Madewell is still executive director of the Lakemetro Parks. The rule is still listed on the web site, and is posted in the parks, on a board well inside the park with other park information. It is a listing of all the rules for park use. I took a picture of the listing of summarized rules today posted in the parks showing this:
3.0 Firearms, fireworks, explosives and bows and arrows are prohibited.

I realize without an ordinance supporting the rule, this is probably not a high priority for OFCC. I would like suggestions, I am considering either writing Mr. Madewell to find out the results of his looking into it were 2 years ago and why the parks are still posted as such, or, contacting the rangers to find out if they have been directed that this is unenforceable.
Guess I am going to have to revist Mr. Madewell...
Chris

charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

My letter...
Mr. Madewell,

Back in October of 2009, we had a conversation via email about the posted rules and signs regarding firearms in the Lake County Metroparks. At that time, I explained that those rules were in violation of ORC 9.68. Your response was as follows:

Thank you for your interest.

Local ordinances are over ridden by the constitutional change. Consequently this rule un enforceable as it applies to CCW.

I will forward your observations on.

Steve Madewell

However, I was recently made aware that no changes were made to posted rules on the website nor were any sings changed/removed. Despite your statement that those rules are unenforceable, the posting of those rules gives the impression that they WILL be enforced. Consequently, the Lake County Metroparks remain in violation. Two years seems like an ample amount of time to have resolved this issue.

I look forward to an quick and amicable solution to this situation. However, I am forwarding a copy of this communication to the Lake County Commissioners because of the legal exposure this situation creates.

Please contact me as soon as possible so that we can get this resolved.

Sincerely,

Christopher L. Harben
Chris

ohiozx3

Post by ohiozx3 »

any updates on this? i went to a park this morning where i visit alot and found a sign prohibiting firearms.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
GWC

Post by GWC »

I recently had a couple e-mail exchanges with the board of commissioners and the interim director of the Lake Metroparks and they have modified their regulations to add "Except as set forth in ORC 9.68 and 2923.12 et seq," to the "dangerous weapons" section.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Clarification letter sent.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It looks like they MIGHT be in compliance, depending on how you read this. The real question IS how do the LEO's read it. If someone will be trespassed or arrested for open carry of any firearm or exposing or having a licensed concealed carry handgun, then the rule is too vague and needs changed.

Lake Metroparks Rules:
http://www.lakemetroparks.com/about/ran ... ules.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3.0 FIREWORKS, EXPLOSIVES, AND BOWS AND ARROWS.

3.4 Carrying dangerous weapons.

Except as set forth in ORC 9.68 and 2923.12 et seq, no person, except Park Rangers, Law Enforcement Officers of the Board, or other Law Enforcement Officers shall have or carry any switchblade, hunting knife, dagger, metal knuckles, slingshot, or other dangerous weapons concealed or about his person while in the Park, provided, however, that the within regulation shall not be applicable to persons using Park lands for hunting purposes when said persons have fully and completely complied with all of the requirements established for hunting on Park lands.
MyWifeSaidYes