County Fair Issues: READ THIS and POST HERE ONLY!

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: County Fair Issues: READ THIS and POST HERE ONLY!

Post by Javelin Man »

I have all the patience in the world, it's just that waiting bugs me!

Remember, short-tempered doctors always lose their patients. :lol:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

charben wrote:Just so everyone is aware, we are in the early stages of figuring out a way to deal with this legislatively. Stay tuned and as always, be patient.
2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.
(B) A valid license issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

What? It's not that easy? :D
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

djthomas wrote:
charben wrote:Just so everyone is aware, we are in the early stages of figuring out a way to deal with this legislatively. Stay tuned and as always, be patient.
(B) A valid license issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

That's basically what I am working on...
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

djthomas wrote:

As Gomer used to say, "SurPrise, SurPrise!" No, it isn't. There are other code sections involving Agricultural Societies that are problematic.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

I just went through all 7 pages of this thread, and all I got was confused. I did see where someone form OFCC is working on it though.

I was at the Berea Fairgrounds today helping a friend with his demolition derby car. I left my pistol locked up in the truck, because I wasn't sure if I could carry there or not. While we were shooting the bull with a couple of the Fair Police (security) I decided to ask about their policy on concealed carry, and was told it was absolutely illegal to carry at the fair, period, and that there were no gun signs everywhere. I then asked them how it could be posted if it was owned by the county, and was told simply because the Berea Police posted it, and that was it. We went back and forth for a few more minutes, and I finally gave up.

So after my conversation with the fairgrounds security, and reading this thread, I still have no idea if I can legally carry there or not. I am hoping that someone may be able to shed a little light on the subject, and I will sit back and see what happens with OFCC's efforts.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

ASHTABULA COUNTY FAIR GROUNDS

They are posted as well.

Also, it was just discovered that the fair board doesn't own the land.
Link:
http://starbeacon.com/local/x1241068475 ... t-own-land
Star Beacon wrote:Fair board doesn’t own land
Deed shows grounds belong to county

By CARL E. FEATHER - cfeather@starbeacon.com Star Beacon

When fairgoers step onto the Ashtabula County Fairgrounds next month, it will be all county-owned land beneath their feet.
NRA life member, Ohio 4-H certified rifle instructor
JDinOH

Post by JDinOH »

Our fair (Ross County) just wrapped up over the weekend. I didn't carry during the fair - and we camped there all week. However, I did CC when I went to pack up the camper Sunday afternoon.

Concealed is concealed, after all :wink:
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”
~Thomas Jefferson

”Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
~Benjamin Franklin
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

djmac1964 wrote:While we were shooting the bull with a couple of the Fair Police (security) I decided to ask about their policy on concealed carry, and was told it was absolutely illegal to carry at the fair, period, and that there were no gun signs everywhere. I then asked them how it could be posted if it was owned by the county, and was told simply because the Berea Police posted it, and that was it. We went back and forth for a few more minutes, and I finally gave up.
Once again showing why you never ask a LEO to explain the law...
djmac1964 wrote:So after my conversation with the fairgrounds security, and reading this thread, I still have no idea if I can legally carry there or not.
Sounds like the only thing you've learned is that they'll arrest first and sort it out later.

I, too, am anxious to see how OFCC is handling it. I intend to fully support whatever approach they eventually take. It's clear at this point that no one individual is going to be able to get a satisfactory response.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I raced at Napoleon the other day and didn't see any no guns signs. Now I didn't look very closely at the entry booths and they were loaded with signs, but they're usually obnoxiously posted and this year I didn't see any. :D Hopefully someone else can confirm this finding.

OTOH, Attica Independent Fair is still posted. :evil: They take state money for horse racing and also for 4-H so that should make it follow the government rules.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JJC

Post by JJC »

Every entrance at the Stark County fair is posted, year 'round. Though the signs for this year's fair seemed to be pretty 'fresh', and feature our good'ol'boy sheriff's signature on the bottom. :?

Contacting the board today to inquire about ownership. I'm looking forward to see what action OFCC decides to take. (if any)
Individual Liberty 2012
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

JJC wrote:Every entrance at the Stark County fair is posted, year 'round. Though the signs for this year's fair seemed to be pretty 'fresh', and feature our good'ol'boy sheriff's signature on the bottom. :?

Contacting the board today to inquire about ownership. I'm looking forward to see what action OFCC decides to take. (if any)
They are a Stark County Agricultural Society .http://www.auditor.state.oh.us/auditsea ... rtID=78503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JJC

Post by JJC »

Cruiser wrote:
JJC wrote:Every entrance at the Stark County fair is posted, year 'round. Though the signs for this year's fair seemed to be pretty 'fresh', and feature our good'ol'boy sheriff's signature on the bottom. :?

They are a Stark County Agricultural Society .http://www.auditor.state.oh.us/auditsea ... rtID=78503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Cruiser. I'll contact Charben for advice on how to proceed, or to see if he wants to take over.
Maybe some some Current Events news to show the signs are still a non-deterrent for criminals:http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x48854775 ... airgrounds
Individual Liberty 2012
akireland

Post by akireland »

Hello,
I read earlier in this post that the OFCC is working on this. So should I contact the agricultural society now or wait to help with some future organized effort. The Tuscarawas county fair just posted this year and it bothers me but the older I get I realize not every battle is worth fighting right now.

It seams there hasn't been much success at getting these illegal signs removed from fair grounds.
Thanks
Andrew
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

akireland wrote:Hello,
I read earlier in this post that the OFCC is working on this. So should I contact the agricultural society now or wait to help with some future organized effort. The Tuscarawas county fair just posted this year and it bothers me but the older I get I realize not every battle is worth fighting right now.

It seams there hasn't been much success at getting these illegal signs removed from fair grounds.
Thanks
Andrew
Getting these signs removed would involve litigation (in probably more than one county) that would ultimately have to be resolved by the Supreme Court of Ohio. Right now, we are investing our assets in other issues that are more pressing. As Charben mentioned, we hope to address this legislatively as ultimately it would be faster and a more cost effective way of handling it.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Open carry at the State Fair?
MyWifeSaidYes