County Fair Issues: READ THIS and POST HERE ONLY!

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
JmE

Highland County conceal only and is posted

Post by JmE »

Highland County fairground is posted with a few faded signs. I've tried for over a year, maybe two, to get the county commissioners to remove the signs. A commissioner claims that the signs don't belong to the county so he can't remove them. He also instructed me to carry concealed like everyone else and they all go in the buildings carrying.

Today, I open carried for a couple of hours and was then ordered to cover. (I never went into any buildings and stayed outside cooking myself in the sunlight, BTW.) I was told the same thing by police 'on the scene' as the commissioner about carrying on the property in the buildings being okay. I was told it was because the AG Society owns the all of the property except a small county owned portion. That's not true as I have documents with the county auditor's seal saying that the county owns 100% of the property right now. There are some lying snakes in the grass at our county fair.

Today, I was almost an unwanted test case. If they'd approached me in the investigative law enforcement manner it would have reluctantly invoked the "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" response with me... and then I'd be in county lockup, no doubt. At this point, I'd be willing but I don't have the attorney money to do it. I'm low drag and would be fine sitting in county until things moved along; let 'em feed me and I'd quit smoking in the process. It's a win-win! (j/k)

Seriously, I'm on the county commissioners' agenda on the 19th to get their answer on the record. Is this going to interfere with anything OFCC has going on?

(edited to fix subject as is truncated at "pos". :lol: )
Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet! - Gen.Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Gen. Robert E. Lee
If we must die, we die defending our rights. - Chief Sitting Bull

Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato
BB62

Re: Highland County conceal only and is posted

Post by BB62 »

JmE wrote:...I'm low drag and would be fine sitting in county until things moved along; let 'em feed me and I'd quit smoking in the process. It's a win-win! (j/k)...
JmE, you need to quit smoking, if for no other reason than it stunts your growth! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Go get em, tiger!
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: County Fair Issues: READ THIS and POST HERE ONLY!

Post by Werz »

If we had simply followed the the POST HERE ONLY provision, and bemoaned the alleged uncertainty of the law (which is a lot clearer than has been implied), would we have gotten this result?

Just sayin'.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Highland County conceal only and is posted

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

JmE wrote:Highland County fairground is posted with a few faded signs. I've tried for over a year, maybe two, to get the county commissioners to remove the signs. A commissioner claims that the signs don't belong to the county so he can't remove them. He also instructed me to carry concealed like everyone else and they all go in the buildings carrying.

Today, I open carried for a couple of hours and was then ordered to cover. (I never went into any buildings and stayed outside cooking myself in the sunlight, BTW.) I was told the same thing by police 'on the scene' as the commissioner about carrying on the property in the buildings being okay. I was told it was because the AG Society owns the all of the property except a small county owned portion. That's not true as I have documents with the county auditor's seal saying that the county owns 100% of the property right now. There are some lying snakes in the grass at our county fair.

Today, I was almost an unwanted test case. If they'd approached me in the investigative law enforcement manner it would have reluctantly invoked the "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" response with me... and then I'd be in county lockup, no doubt. At this point, I'd be willing but I don't have the attorney money to do it. I'm low drag and would be fine sitting in county until things moved along; let 'em feed me and I'd quit smoking in the process. It's a win-win! (j/k)

Seriously, I'm on the county commissioners' agenda on the 19th to get their answer on the record. Is this going to interfere with anything OFCC has going on?

(edited to fix subject as is truncated at "pos". :lol: )
I can't verify this but, a guy at work said that Sharon Kennedy (for OSCJ) was OCing at the Highland county fair while campaigning. What gives?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
JmE

Post by JmE »

Wow, really??? I'd like to know as well. I have the audio from the consensual encounter but have to record it into an MP3 (old Sony version). They told me pretty much as the commissioner and others have in the past; that it's not allowed, must cover, and can go in the buildings. Hmm...

Thanks for the info.
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Gen. Robert E. Lee

Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato
BB62

Post by BB62 »

charben wrote:Just so everyone is aware, we are in the early stages of figuring out a way to deal with this legislatively. Stay tuned and as always, be patient.
You post is from August, 2011.

What progress has been made?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

BB62 wrote:
charben wrote:Just so everyone is aware, we are in the early stages of figuring out a way to deal with this legislatively. Stay tuned and as always, be patient.

......CAN you fill us in PLEASE. Sounds like a nice way to ask... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
BobK

Post by BobK »

BB62 wrote:

Other than a couple of "For Sale" threads where he was selling off some stuff, and asking for people's help when he moved, Charben has not posted in these forums for 4 months. I believe he is pretty much finished with his participation here.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JmE

Post by JmE »

Well, that kind if sucks as the title of this thread is "County Fair Issues: READ THIS and POST HERE ONLY!". Emphasis on the "ONLY!" :?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

BobK wrote:
BB62 wrote:

Other than a couple of "For Sale" threads where he was selling off some stuff, and asking for people's help when he moved, Charben has not posted in these forums for 4 months. I believe he is pretty much finished with his participation here.
Sure is a good way to get him to respond, but I would guess he is in no way leaving OFCC, IMO...

We all know family comes first in ones life...I'm sure you know that....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

He is on FB daily. Like everyone else, life issues have to take priority.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I would suggest that "Parks" and "Fairgrounds" be added as sub-forums to the 9.68 sub-forum if it is a priority to keep things separated.
MyWifeSaidYes
JmE

Highland County Fairgrounds' signs removed

Post by JmE »

Well, I gave the presentation and it was well received. There were follow up contacts made by the county to me in the weeks after. The prosecutor had reassured me that it has not been forgotten when we spoke casually after a recent county commissioners' meeting. I reminded her that it was my sincere hope that the signs would be gone by fair week. Since then I read a local article that listed the rules for an upcoming tractor pull. They did not list anything about firearms but the old faded signs were still up. I wrote a comment in the online version of the paper reminding them of my hope that the signs would be removed before events so that the county wouldn't get sued and people could exercise their lawful right to keep and bear arms. I also followed up with a telephone call to the commissioners' office and expressed roughly the same idea. I went by the fairgrounds today and the signs are removed. (There is still one faded sign on the fence where the campers enter but it is almost illegible and no doubt they simply forgot that one.) They had asked me about open carry and the buildings so I told them that the law reads concealed carry and not open carry. IDK if that was good or bad but I am honest.

So there it is; Highland County owns the majority of the fairgrounds. It was brought to their official attention. Now the signs are gone. I'm actually sort of proud of them for doing the right thing.

If anyone does this in another county, I'd recommend getting a copy of information printed about the parcel(s) & who owns it. I asked the auditor's office to put their seal on the copies which they were glad to do. Also, having information about Wayne County's removal of signs is a plus too. (I think I got that right this time... Wayne County???)

{Edited: Changed 'Greene' to 'Wayne' and added a sentence.}

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

High Five! :wink:
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
JmE

Post by JmE »

Thanks, TR. That means a lot. 8)