Lorain County, hold for 2nd round.

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
muxtech

Lorain County, hold for 2nd round.

Post by muxtech »

The Lorain County Metroparks are enforcing a prohibition on open carry per a member's recent voice recording of LE/Rangers. They allow CC in the parks,(verbally, but not per their rule book) but do not allow open carry. Even on a trail in the woods, for cryin out loud, and insist their ban is valid. Time to call the ORCkin Man!
8.0 FIREARMS, FIREWORKS, EXPLOSIVES, DANGEROUS WEAPONS, DANGEROUS ORDINANCE, OR BOWS OR ARROWS
8.1 No person, except duly authorized employees, Rangers or other law enforcement officers shall carry, possess or have available or discharge firearms of any description, air or gas gun, sling shot, boomerang or any missile throwing device within park property.
http://www.loraincountymetroparks.com/r ... ules.htm#8

http://www.loraincountymetroparks.com/index.html
12882 Diagonal Road
LaGrange, Ohio 44050
1-800-LCM-PARK
Last edited by muxtech on Wed May 20, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The British are going! The British are going!
color of law
*** Banned ***

Re: Lorain County Metroparks

Post by color of law »

For more details see below.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There must be something in that lake Erie water.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I'll add this to my list. Working on Cincinnati right now...
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

charben wrote:I'll add this to my list. Working on Cincinnati right now...
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I frequent these parks so I have a dog in this fight, so to speak. Thanks.
muxtech

Re: Lorain County, hold for 2nd round.

Post by muxtech »

Amazing what you can learn by reading the instructions. :oops:
If you're aware of a city that only has a minor park rule or other such ordinance, please either hold off on reporting it until a call is made for the second round, or report it with a title of "<City name> - Hold for second round" Once we get notices out to the most egregious violators and/or get more people writing letters, we'll circle back and hit the lower priority ones.
Standing by.
firecrackerXD

Post by firecrackerXD »

Awesome I was just asking bout this in the other forum, gotta love the search feature hah. I frequent these parks often as well so for now I'll keep it to CC though in gym shorts and a t that should prove interesting to say the least.
JSLACK7851

Lorain County Political Sub Division

Post by JSLACK7851 »

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... 36#p380192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was there any progress working with Lorain county Metro parks?

8.0 FIREARMS, FIREWORKS, EXPLOSIVES, DANGEROUS WEAPONS, DANGEROUS ORDINANCE, OR BOWS OR ARROWS
8.1 No person, except duly authorized employees, Rangers or other law enforcement officers shall carry, possess or have available or discharge firearms of any description, air or gas gun, sling shot, boomerang or any missile throwing device within park property

Copied from their rules 11-6-2009
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Citizen of Ohio, United States of America
gmhiggins

Re: Lorain County Political Sub Division

Post by gmhiggins »

It looks like the rule was changed to read
"8.1 No person, except duly authorized employees, Rangers, or other law enforcement officers,
shall discharge firearms of any description, air or gas gun, BB or pellet gun, black
powder gun, stun gun, taser, paintball gun, smoke bomb, martial arts weapon, billy club,
sling shot, boomerang, or any missile-throwing device within park property. Note:
Except that persons using authorized hunting areas on park land for hunting purposes
when said persons have fully and completely complied with all of the requirements
established for hunting on park lands. Firearms or weapons may be permitted for the
purpose of educational or cultural programs through the issuance of a special permit by
the Director.
"

I have sent an email for clarification, but like other members have informed me, I have received no response. I spend some time in these parks with my children, and would rather not have to explain to them why I am being taken away in handcuffs.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I am going to move this back to the original thread.

As I read this, there is nothing that prohibits carrying of firearms. Their rules seem to be pretty specific toward discharge. GMHiggins, if you get any kind of reply that would indicate otherwise, PM me to let me know. Otherwise, I will focus on other more egregious issues.

Thanks!
Chris

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

charben wrote:I am going to move this back to the original thread.

As I read this, there is nothing that prohibits carrying of firearms. Their rules seem to be pretty specific toward discharge. GMHiggins, if you get any kind of reply that would indicate otherwise, PM me to let me know. Otherwise, I will focus on other more egregious issues.

Thanks!
"Firearms or weapons may be permitted for the purpose of educational or cultural programs through the issuance of a special permit by the Director." was the part that I emailed regarding clarification. I will continue to contact them to see, I shouldn't need additional help. Will post updates as I receive them.

As always, I will not mention the OFCC, as I do not represent them in any way, shape, or form.
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

Please let me explain. Section 8.1 refers to the discharge of a firearm as defined in the section within Park District boundaries.
The Lorain County Metro Parks does in fact permit the carrying of concealed firearms within park boundaries. We allow them to be carried into stand alone restrooms and public shelters. Buildings such as visitor’s centers and maintenance facilities are restricted in accordance with Ohio State Law and are appropriately posted at entrances.
Open carry is not regulated by the State of Ohio nor the Lorain County Metro Parks except as restricted by law as to carrying firearms into a government facility.
The clause that you site regarding a permit allows the Director of the metro Parks to waive a rule under special circumstances such as educational programs.
I hope I have answered your question sufficiently. If you have more questions please feel free to contact me.
And again, thank you for your interest in the Lorain County Metro Parks.

Paul
Operations Supervisor/ Chief Ranger
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Nice work. Thanks. :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

I drove out to Lakeview Park in Lorain today and checked the rules posted at the Park, This was posted:
JSLACK7851 wrote: 8.0 FIREARMS, FIREWORKS, EXPLOSIVES, DANGEROUS WEAPONS, DANGEROUS ORDINANCE, OR BOWS OR ARROWS
8.1 No person, except duly authorized employees, Rangers or other law enforcement officers shall carry, possess or have available or discharge firearms of any description, air or gas gun, sling shot, boomerang or any missile throwing device within park property
NOT THIS:

gmhiggins wrote:It looks like the rule was changed to read
"8.1 No person, except duly authorized employees, Rangers, or other law enforcement officers,
shall discharge firearms of any description, air or gas gun, BB or pellet gun, black
powder gun, stun gun, ect....[/b]"
Should we believe the E Mail from the Head Ranger? Or should we believe what we see in writing?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Citizen of Ohio, United States of America
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

JSLACK7851 wrote:
Should we believe the E Mail from the Head Ranger? Or should we believe what we see in writing?
This seems to be the situation in many places. Columbus Metro Parks is forwarding an email to me that they sent to all their Rangers with regard to their rules relative to the a cleveland ruling. however, they have not changed signs or website yet. They say they are "in the process of reviewing ALL their rules."
Chris

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Changing signs takes money and manpower. You cannot expect this to happen overnight. Look at the sign, what will it take to change it? Sometimes a whole new sign is required. Where is the money for a new one? Use that thing between your ears, it only takes a few seconds to change it the rules online the rest is like snailmail. It takes awhile. :roll:
Abandon ye all HOPE!