Elyria gun ban repealed

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
mattswabb

Elyria gun ban repealed

Post by mattswabb »

Tonight at the Elyria City Council meeting the council repealed the ordinances 2004-47 and 2004-134. These were the ordinances that prohibited guns on city property and in the city parks.

All voted unanimously to repeal these ordinances.

The ordinance that repealed these is 2008-154.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Re: Elyria gun ban repealed

Post by color of law »

Politics are local. Good job.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

That's great news Matt. I carried in Elyria often under the presumption of preemption. It's good to know municipalities recognize the Ohio Supreme Court's authority to uphold state legislation.

Now really is a good time for folks to get their CHL's.
The British are going! The British are going!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Saw this yesterday and forgot to mention how pleased this makes me! Some places apparently do get it without the courtroom sledgehammer proceedings.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

Now they need to repeal 165.31.
This says no City of Elyria employee may have any weapon while on City property.
It does not make provision for on duty or off duty.
I spoke with the Ohio AG's office and they said pre-emption does not apply here, this is an employer-employee issue -- even though it is an ordinance that to my poor simple mind would seem to fly in the face of pre-emption.
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett