Ohio Historical Society parks - Drafting Letter

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Ohio Historical Society parks - Drafting Letter

Post by MrMagoo »

Investigating whether the Ohio Historical Society is a political entity. OHS prehistoric park in Newark is a postedCPZs.
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
GlockMan27

Re: Ohio Historical Society parks - investigating

Post by GlockMan27 »

Thanks for looking into this. Let us know what you can find out.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/149.30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
149.30 Public functions of Ohio historical society.

The Ohio historical society, chartered by this state as a corporation not for profit to promote a knowledge of history and archaeology, especially of Ohio, and operated continuously in the public interest since 1885, may perform public functions as prescribed by law.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

From the the most recent financial audit of The Ohio Historical Society on the State Auditors site

Page 3
We have reviewed the Independent Auditor’s Report of The Ohio Historical Society & Affiliate,
Franklin County, prepared by Rea & Associates, Inc., for the audit period July 1, 2006 through
June 30, 2007. Based upon this review, we have accepted these reports in lieu of the audit
required by Section 117.11, Revised Code
ORC 117.11 Annual, biennial, and early audits.
(A) Except as otherwise provided in this division and in sections 117.112 and 117.113 of the Revised Code, the auditor of state shall audit each public office at least once every two fiscal years. The auditor of state shall audit a public office each fiscal year if that public office is required to be audited on an annual basis pursuant to “The Single Audit Act of 1984,” 98 Stat. 2327, 31 U.S.C.A. 7501 et seq., as amended. In the annual or biennial audit, inquiry shall be made into the methods, accuracy, and legality of the accounts, financial reports, records, files, and reports of the office, whether the laws, rules, ordinances, and orders pertaining to the office have been observed, and whether the requirements and rules of the auditor of state have been complied with. Except as otherwise provided in this division or where auditing standards or procedures dictate otherwise, each audit shall cover at least one fiscal year. If a public office is audited only once every two fiscal years, the audit shall cover both fiscal years.
ORC 117.01 Auditor of state definitions.
(D) “Public office” means any state agency, public institution, political subdivision, or other organized body, office, agency, institution, or entity established by the laws of this state for the exercise of any function of government.
Looks like the State Auditors office considers them a government entity.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

I knew if I opened the door, cashman966 would close the door. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Would you not say so cashman966?
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

color of law wrote:I knew if I opened the door, cashman966 would close the door. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Would you not say so cashman966?

This may slam the door shut
145.01 Public employees retirement system definitions.
As used in this chapter:

(A) “Public employee” means:

(1) Any person holding an office, not elective, under the state or any county, township, municipal corporation, park district, conservancy district, sanitary district, health district, metropolitan housing authority, state retirement board, Ohio historical society, public library, county law library, union cemetery, joint hospital, institutional commissary, state university, or board, bureau, commission, council, committee, authority, or administrative body as the same are, or have been, created by action of the general assembly or by the legislative authority of any of the units of local government named in division (A)(1) of this section, or employed and paid in whole or in part by the state or any of the authorities named in division (A)(1) of this section in any capacity not covered by section 742.01, 3307.01, 3309.01, or 5505.01 of the Revised Code.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

color of law wrote:I knew if I opened the door, cashman966 would close the door. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Would you not say so cashman966?
Did you and cashman966 work together as carpenters putting nails in coffin lids? Thanks for your input.
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

I knew they had to be a political entity. My wife and I have noticed that city crews are over there cleaning up fallen trees and debris from that wind storm we had. Not sure why they'd be cleaning up a private park, that really explains it now. Does this mean a letter will be being sent to the Society?
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

GlockMan27 wrote:I knew they had to be a political entity. My wife and I have noticed that city crews are over there cleaning up fallen trees and debris from that wind storm we had. Not sure why they'd be cleaning up a private park, that really explains it now. Does this mean a letter will be being sent to the Society?
Several of us plus Jeff are writing letters. All drafts go to him and letters go out on OFCC letterhead with his signature. Based on the the posts here from research numerous people have done I'll draft a letter for Jeff.
rhwiley

Re: Ohio Historical Society parks - Drafting Letter

Post by rhwiley »

On a related note to the OHS property - Does this also apply to the Historial Societies in the various counties? My reason for asking, is I know where there's numerous acres of complex owned by the historical society in my area that will have a CPZ sign posted (matter of fact, it'll probably be a 4' x 8' sign again this year). Thanks..
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Ohio Historical Society parks - Drafting Letter

Post by MrMagoo »

rhwiley wrote:On a related note to the OHS property - Does this also apply to the Historial Societies in the various counties? My reason for asking, is I know where there's numerous acres of complex owned by the historical society in my area that will have a CPZ sign posted (matter of fact, it'll probably be a 4' x 8' sign again this year). Thanks..
Is your county historical society a political entity? If it is, please post in the 9.68 Compliance frorum. Thanks.