Newark, OH ORC

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
GlockMan27

Newark, OH ORC

Post by GlockMan27 »

Though I haven't seen any City owned parks posted I did notice this information below in the Newark City Code.

1068.04 PROHIBITED POSSESSIONS.
No person shall bring into or have in his or her possession in any park, playground, playfield, swimming pool or other area under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Service, Division of Parks and Recreation, any of the following:

(a) Any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun in or upon which loaded or blank cartridges may be used, other than by official starters at authorized track and field events or other organized activities supervised by the Division;

Also, I do know of some 'Licking Parks District' property used mainly for parking between a ballfield and a community park that is posted. Though it isn't actually a park it is used for recreation so it would fit under the Prohibted Areas according to the code. The area isn't marked by a park sign so it would be difficult to describe but I can provide it's location.
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Newark, OH ORC

Post by MrMagoo »

GlockMan27 wrote:Though I haven't seen any City owned parks posted I did notice this information below in the Newark City Code.

1068.04 PROHIBITED POSSESSIONS.
No person shall bring into or have in his or her possession in any park, playground, playfield, swimming pool or other area under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Service, Division of Parks and Recreation, any of the following:

(a) Any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun in or upon which loaded or blank cartridges may be used, other than by official starters at authorized track and field events or other organized activities supervised by the Division;

Also, I do know of some 'Licking Parks District' property used mainly for parking between a ballfield and a community park that is posted. Though it isn't actually a park it is used for recreation so it would fit under the Prohibted Areas according to the code. The area isn't marked by a park sign so it would be difficult to describe but I can provide it's location.
GlockMan, thanks for the post. Where did you find the Newark City code? I've been using a site from WH Drain to research codes and Newark wasn't listed. Can you provide any pictures of the gun buster signs in the area used for recreation? How would I find it coming into Newark on Rt. 161/16 from Columbus?
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Newark uses American Legal Publishing for their ordinances, or at least that's what they ultimately directed me to from their website:

Newark, OH Codified Ordinances.
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

Not sure how up-to-date the codes are but here is the link.
http://www.amlegal.com/library/oh/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a pic of the sign but for some reason I think the 8GB memory card in my camera went bad and now have to replace it. I can go back and get a pic though.

The area I'm referring to is between S Cedar St and Downey Ave. Easiest way off 16 would be South on SR 13, Left on E National Dr, Right on S 2nd St, Left on Ohio St. The area is on the right nearly at the end of Ohio St. As I mentioned though it isn't posted as a Park but it it sits between two parks. According to the Tax Maps it is owned by the Licking Parks District.
Attachments
Licking Park Dist.jpg
Licking Park Dist.jpg (200.73 KiB) Viewed 735 times
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

GlockMan27 wrote:According to the Tax Maps it is owned by the Licking Parks District.
http://www.lickingparkdistrict.com/Rule ... 20Regs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Park Districts are something interesting. They're probably considered "political sub-divisions" and this is the second one we've stumbled upon.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

Attached picture of the Sign, which does not point to the referenced code. Pay particular attention to the line "A valid license does not authorize... to carry a weapon..."
Also attached a pic of the area from the road (Ohio St), notice the sign posted to the right in the forefront.

Thanks, G27
Attachments
Notice.JPG
Notice.JPG (140.18 KiB) Viewed 660 times
LPD Prop.JPG
LPD Prop.JPG (139.17 KiB) Viewed 656 times
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Thanks Glockman. These will be perfect for a letter - no question that it's not even remotely close to a building and great clarity. You know, it really ought to be perjury to post a sign "In accordance with the Ohio Revised Code" when it is being used to prohibit precisely what the ORC permits. Or at the very least, libel against the Revised Code! :)
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

I think I found the name of the area it is called River View Park. That might help a bit, just not sure why there isn't a River View park sign up.
justherenow

Post by justherenow »

Im not sure Riverview park is the name of that park, I always have heard it refered to on the Police Scanner as the Ohio St. Park. Either way, other than the baseball diamonds, that is the only park on Ohio St. that I am aware of
--------------------------
G;ock 32 .357sig/Sig Saur 3in 1911 .45acp
Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
PA Non-Res 10/12/2010
Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

justherenow wrote:Im not sure Riverview park is the name of that park, I always have heard it refered to on the Police Scanner as the Ohio St. Park. Either way, other than the baseball diamonds, that is the only park on Ohio St. that I am aware of
Link to http://www.lickingparkdistrict.com/Inform.htm#Riverview

7. RIVERVIEW PRESERVE
Located at the end of Ohio Street one-half mile east of South Second Street in Newark.

Riverview's 110 acres extend along the Licking River through woodland and wetland habitats. This riparian corridor abounds with wildflowers and is home to many species of wildlife. Visitors will find ample parking, a canoe launch site and fishing access. Future development includes hiking trails.