City of Cincinnati - Prepared

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
EChryst

Re: City of Cincinnati - Prepared

Post by EChryst »

carmen fovozzo wrote:..LMAO...Not about anything on this thread or anyone post.

...I briefly was watching COPS last night and it was about Cincinnati PD. The reason for the laughing was their uniforms..I couldn't figure out if they were nurse's or cops...They have got to be kidding with those stark white hats and shirts....What a target they make themselfs....I'm sorry but I think this is real funny.. :lol:
Not to stray, but when I moved to Cincinnati, I found it weird that every police officer was a chief or captain until I realized...
-Erik
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

EChryst wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:..LMAO...Not about anything on this thread or anyone post.

...I briefly was watching COPS last night and it was about Cincinnati PD. The reason for the laughing was their uniforms..I couldn't figure out if they were nurse's or cops...They have got to be kidding with those stark white hats and shirts....What a target they make themselfs....I'm sorry but I think this is real funny.. :lol:
Not to stray, but when I moved to Cincinnati, I found it weird that every police officer was a chief or captain until I realized...
This thread is already way afield from where it started, no need to worry about it straying at this point.

It's funny, guess one gets used to what they see growing up as the norm. Me being a native CincyTuckian, I've always thought the PD uniforms in Columbus and Cleveland looked sorta weird.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Talked to the Cincinnati PD today - they say they have not received any directive from the law department not to enforce the invalid ordinances.

I did get the name and email address of someone else at the Cincinnati Law Dept (besides the people who ignored me previously) and she gave me her email address and direct line, and asked me to forward my email to her.
FormerNavy

Re: City of Cincinnati - SUCCESS!!

Post by FormerNavy »

Finally some results!!

Mr. FormerNavy:

Per your request and our earlier conversation today, please be advised that due to the recent Ohio Supreme Court Case regarding Ohio Revised Code § 9.68, the City of Cincinnati will not be enforcing the following code sections and rules:

· 708-3, Prevention of Distribution of Weapons and Firearms to Minors (See ORC 2923.21 and 2923.211 for provisions regarding minors and firearms.)

· 708-5, Display Advertising of Weapons Prohibited

· 708-7, Obliterating Identification Marks Prohibited (See ORC 2923.201 for similar provisions)

· 708-9, Dealers in Weapons; License Fees

· 708-11, Restrictions on Pawnbrokers

· 708-13, Form of Application to Transfer Firearms

· 708-15, Restriction on Transfer of Firearms (See ORC 2923.20 for Unlawful Transactions in Weapons)

· 708-17, Sale of Handgun Ammunition

· 708-19, False Statements in Application

· 708-21, Gunpowder Magazines and Vendor’s License Fees

· 708-29, Confiscation of Firearms – Should not be use for confiscation of firearms for violations of 708-33, Waiting Period for Transfer of Firearms. May still be used for violations of 708-27, Discharging of Firearms.

· 708-33, Waiting Period for Transfer of Firearms

· 708-37, Possession or Sale of Semiautomatic Firearms Prohibited (See ORC 2923.11(E), 2923.11(K)(1) and 2923.17 for limitations regarding semiautomatic weapons)

· 708-39, Dangerous Weapons on School Property – Should not be used for the possession of firearms or ammunition on school property (See ORC 2923.122). Possession of other types of dangerous weapons can still be charged under this provision.

· 708-41, Deadly or Dangerous Weapons in City Buildings – Should not be used to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms or ammunition in City buildings. Other types of deadly or dangerous weapons can still be charged under this provision.

· 713-5(a), Prohibited Uses of Fountain Square Without a Permit – Should not be used to prohibit the possession of a firearm or ammunition on Fountain Square

· 739-5(9), Prohibited Uses of Central Riverfront – Should not be used to prohibit the possession of a firearm or ammunition on Central Riverfront areas. The discharge of a firearm may still be enforced, as well as the carrying or discharge of the other listed items.

· Rule 10 – Rules of the Cincinnati Recreation Commission – firearms, etc., should not be used for the carrying of firearms on Recreation Commission property. The discharge of a firearm can still be charged under this provision, as well as the carrying or discharging of all other listed items in the rule.

· Rule 10 – Rules of the Park Board – weapons, should not be used for the carrying of firearms on Park Board property. The discharge of a firearm can still be charged under this provision, as well as the carrying or discharge of all other listed items in the rule.

Kind regards,

Gina
Assistant City Solicitor
City of Cincinnati
dirtdawg

Post by dirtdawg »

Good news!

This looks like something worthy of a press release.
Dirtdawg
NRA Member, Clinton County Farmer's and Sportsmen Association Director
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Instructor; Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, PPITH
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Uhm Cinci has an assault weapons ban law and a magazine capacity law IIRC. What about those?

Or is this that goofy law combined?
· 708-37, Possession or Sale of Semiautomatic Firearms Prohibited (See ORC 2923.11(E), 2923.11(K)(1) and 2923.17 for limitations regarding semiautomatic weapons)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
sigger

Post by sigger »

sigger wrote:From the Cincinnati Municipal Code:
http://library3.municode.com/default-te ... &doc_hit=1

Sec. 7. Emergency Orders.
The city manager, or the person assuming command as provided in Article XVIII, Section 6, may, as deemed by the person in command advisable in the interest of the public peace, health, safety or welfare and in regard to the specific area or areas of the city imperiled by the public danger or emergency or the city as a whole, make and enforce orders to do any or all of the following:
. . .
(h) Order the closing of any and all establishments or portions thereof engaged in the sale, distribution, dispensing or giving away of firearms and/or ammunition.[/u]
(i) Prohibit or restrict the carrying or possession on the public streets or public sidewalks or in any public park or square or any other public place a weapon or any object intended to be used as a weapon including but not limited to firearms, bows and arrows, air rifles, sling shots, knives, razors, broken bottles, fire bombs, missiles of any kind, clubs, blackjacks, billies, chains or similar items.
What about the laws allowing the Mayor to declare an emergency and prohibit any carry of a firearm? Sounds like Katrina waiting to happen again.
We the people . . . do ordain and establish . . .
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Uhm Cinci has an assault weapons ban law and a magazine capacity law IIRC. What about those?

Or is this that goofy law combined?
Yep that's where it's at, IIRC...
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

sigger wrote:

The city manager, or the person assuming command as provided in Article XVIII, Section 6, may, as deemed by the person in command advisable in the interest of the public peace, health, safety or welfare and in regard to the specific area or areas of the city imperiled by the public danger or emergency or the city as a whole, make and enforce orders to do any or all of the following:
. . .
(h) Order the closing of any and all establishments or portions thereof engaged in the sale, distribution, dispensing or giving away of firearms and/or ammunition.[/u]
(i) Prohibit or restrict the carrying or possession on the public streets or public sidewalks or in any public park or square or any other public place a weapon or any object intended to be used as a weapon including but not limited to firearms, bows and arrows, air rifles, sling shots, knives, razors, broken bottles, fire bombs, missiles of any kind, clubs, blackjacks, billies, chains or similar items.
What about the laws allowing the Mayor to declare an emergency and prohibit any carry of a firearm? Sounds like Katrina waiting to happen again.
I have raised this to my contact as conflicting with ORC 9.68. Thanks for pointing it out.
blah

Post by blah »

Wow was Cincy trying to do its best Chicago impression? Talk about a whole lot of crazy laws.

I'll tell you what, laws granting sweeping powers like this...
sigger wrote:<font color="blue">

. . .
What about the laws allowing the Mayor to declare an emergency and prohibit any carry of a firearm? Sounds like Katrina waiting to happen again.</font>
That stuff just makes me nervous. I can't believe laws like that are even allowed to be on the books. Martial law, state of emergency, whatever you want to call it. It makes me nervous. Probably drifting too far off topic now. Sorry.
~ Glen

What part of "shall not be infringed" is so difficult to understand?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Resurrecting this thread. Cincy laws must go.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes