SUCCESS - Reading, Ohio

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Reading, Ohio - Confirmed - Letter Sent

Post by sabalo »

Thanks Jav. One benefit of being a coordinator is that when they gave us our own "color" names on the forum they also doubled our salary. It was even retroactive from June. :lol:
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

I am pleased to announce that as of today (Dec. 3, 2008) the CPZ signs are no longer posted at Koenig Park. I would like to thank Chief Scott Snow and city Law Director David Stevenson for their prompt action once I contacted them. They both indicated that they were unaware of the OFCC letter, but once I brought it to their attention it was promptly resolved.

Thank you City of Reading.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well WOO-HOO to Color of Law for gettin' 'er done! :D Maybe OFCC could have saved a lot of ink and postage stamps by giving COL a prepaid cell phone to wield against evil government CPZ zones across the Buckeye. 8)

ETA: Color of Law tells me that the police chief himself reported going to the park and personally removing the No Guns signs. Wish I coulda been there, but in any event a few minutes of my time tomorrow will be spent visiting Koenig Park. If the signs are gone I may do the Snoopy dance!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Brian D. wrote: If the signs are gone I may do the Snoopy dance!
What time I might want to watch!! :lol:
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

color of law wrote:I got your attention. You being a coordinator would seem that you could expedite or shake Jeff's cage. But, it appears that being a coordinator does not have any benefit for the membership. I am not sending another PM or e-mail.

Brian D., your Reading issue has no merit. OFCC has more important things to do.
color of law, good work on getting the sign down, but this was an uncalled for attack.

I'm sorry that Jeff didn't get back to you, but claiming that means OFCC has more important things than Brian's issue is unfair. When you wanted Jeff working on this issue, he was instead working on fixing the SQL errors the forums were getting. He spent many hours on that, and unfortunately this fell through the cracks.

Sabalo did send a message to both of us, but I was out of town and didn't get it until today. Although, it wouldn't have mattered much since I don't have the letter they were sent, that's not one of my projects.

Jeff is taking a much needed vacation right now, so I'm glad you were able to get the sign down yourself.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

Daniel wrote:
color of law wrote:I got your attention. You being a coordinator would seem that you could expedite or shake Jeff's cage. But, it appears that being a coordinator does not have any benefit for the membership. I am not sending another PM or e-mail.

Brian D., your Reading issue has no merit. OFCC has more important things to do.
color of law, good work on getting the sign down, but this was an uncalled for attack.

I'm sorry that Jeff didn't get back to you, but claiming that means OFCC has more important things than Brian's issue is unfair. When you wanted Jeff working on this issue, he was instead working on fixing the SQL errors the forums were getting. He spent many hours on that, and unfortunately this fell through the cracks.

Sabalo did send a message to both of us, but I was out of town and didn't get it until today. Although, it wouldn't have mattered much since I don't have the letter they were sent, that's not one of my projects.

Jeff is taking a much needed vacation right now, so I'm glad you were able to get the sign down yourself.
I take exception. I PMed Jeff on Nov. 19th. and Jeff responded Nov. 21. All I asked for was a copy of the letter. That's it, no other action was required other than 2 minutes tops to cut and paste a letter. But, no, sabalo and Daniel attempt to cover for Jeff. Could not either of you just get a copy of the letter????? We all have priorities in our lives. But all Jeff needed to do was send the letter. And two members were willing to take the bull by the horns and get the job done.

I guess Jeff's much needed vacation may be well deserved, but if I recall Brian D. and I showed up in Northwood to support some guy we did not even know at the request of OFCC. Requests for help are a two way street. Or are they not?????

It would appear that top management needs to have a shared database. Not my project excuse just does not fly.

Since this was Jeff's project I'll wait for his response.
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

COL, Congrats on getting the sign taken down! I commend you for having the initiative to take the time to do what needed to happen to get the job done. Too few people do. That's what an all-volunteer group like OFCC is all about. Each of us have to clean up our own little corner of the world and then we'll look up and be astounded what we've accomplished as a team.
color of law wrote:And two members were willing to take the bull by the horns and get the job done.
That's always how it goes. We all have day jobs. We all have families. We all have things that pop up in our personal lives that take precedent for a time. This is true from the Board, to the Coordinators, to the person that only lurks and never posts.

Let's not call each other out and discourage each other. Imagine how happy Toby Hoover and Sarah Brady would be at that. We need you to keep doing what you've started doing. We need Jeff to keep doing what he's been doing.

Let's keep making progress, no matter how it happens. Let's be satisfied that the cause is moving forward. Isn't that what's most important? I think so.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
color of law
*** Banned ***

Re: SUCCESS - Reading, Ohio

Post by color of law »

Why are you guys covering for Jeff??? I am not looking for kudos. All I wanted was a letter. No more, no less. The problem is I had to go into a possible battle without all the facts. I was lucky this time. The next time I may not be so lucky. and the next time I may not go into battle because I have no ground support.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

The problem is I had to go into a possible battle without all the facts. I was lucky this time. The next time I may not be so lucky. and the next time I may not go into battle because I have no ground support.
I appreciate the sentiment.
Perhaps in the future it'd be best to wait until your back up has arrived.
Better to go in covered than exposed.

I am glad it worked out this time.
Thanks for your efforts guys!
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

Jake wrote:
The problem is I had to go into a possible battle without all the facts. I was lucky this time. The next time I may not be so lucky. and the next time I may not go into battle because I have no ground support.
I appreciate the sentiment.
Perhaps in the future it'd be best to wait until your back up has arrived.
Better to go in covered than exposed.

I am glad it worked out this time.
Thanks for your efforts guys!
I appreciate the sentiment. Thank you.
Perhaps in the future it'd be best to wait until your back up has arrived. It appears if I would have done that the signs would still be up.
Better to go in covered than exposed. Life is not always fair.
Bryan Torok
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bryan Torok »

color of law wrote:Why are you guys covering for Jeff??? I am not looking for kudos. All I wanted was a letter. No more, no less. The problem is I had to go into a possible battle without all the facts. I was lucky this time. The next time I may not be so lucky. and the next time I may not go into battle because I have no ground support.

We are not just covering for Jeff, we are explaining the way it is. We all, including me, have at least a dozen things awaiting our attention that "will only take 5 or 10 minutes". But collectively, those small tasks add up. Plus, we are all volunteers, as are you. None of us get paid for this. We take time away from our lives, our families, and our jobs to do this. Sometimes those things are just more important than OFCC, sometimes we just need some time away for our sanity.

I usually don't bother spending much time answering this sort of complaint. I just commented elsewhere that most of those who complain the loudest do the least. But you stepped up and did something, albeit about something in your backyard that was a particular annoyance to you. So, I thought you do deserve an answer.

As for your suggestion about a common database to store info in that is accessable to those who run OFCC, that is a good idea, one that we actually implemented recently. Unfortunately, I don't believe the letter you wanted was in there. Perhaps we should expand that system and create more folders to store and organize more info. We'll discuss that.

We have gotten signs taken down in more places than I can remember. We've gotten local laws repealed in more places than I can shake a stick at, have more legal actions going on than I can sometimes keep straight. Maybe cutting us a little slack would be good.

One last thought: You seem to have had some success at this. Perhaps you have a knaack for it. Are you interested in volunteering for a position? I'm sure we can find even more signs and laws that need fighting, municipalities that need to be notified and kept after.

Bryan Torok
VP OFCC, Treasurer OFCC PAC
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Gentle people; Unless the people who run OFCC are channeling Gov. Napolitano (D-AZ) they remain volunteers. By definition, volunteers are permitted to have other interests, i.e., jobs, families, hobbies, and other interests. Periodically, they may also take naps or even sleep.

Unless these folks become paid staff members, I think we can make requests, but we really should never make demands. I have seen similar and better funded organizations, staffed by volunteers, fall apart due to the incessant demands and commands of its membership. It isn't pretty.

It takes time to get things done. It takes longer when one has to deal with government and bureaucrats at various levels. I’m pleased with the level of service provided by the various people who run this organization. I ask nothing more than they are vigilant for political slippage, and periodically, they gain some ground for the rest of us.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Back to our original topic. I came past the park this morning and it is still posted on Columbia Ave. I don't travel past the rest of the park, but will check the main entrance after lunch today.

COL, great job and getting this moving. Some efforts are too easy to ignore, it is when the get tired of seeing your face that things move.

JLE
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

JEaton wrote:Back to our original topic. I came past the park this morning and it is still posted on Columbia Ave. I don't travel past the rest of the park, but will check the main entrance after lunch today.

COL, great job and getting this moving. Some efforts are too easy to ignore, it is when the get tired of seeing your face that things move.

JLE
You are correct. The one on Columbia has not been removed. I left a message with the chief. I'm sure he will take care of it. I'm also sure that he was unaware of its posting. If it is still up next week let me know.
The two signs in front of the park are gone.

Thanks JEaton
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yes, my visit to Koenig Park this morning did NOT include a 'Snoopy dance'. As JEaton reports there's still a sign up along Columbia Ave., and another on the south end (McWhorter Ave.). In fairness, the latter sign would have been hard for the police chief to take down, unless he keeps a stepladder in his cruiser.

But it appears that Reading is now trying to obey the law.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.