SUCCESS - DIT - Northfield Village

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

SUCCESS - DIT - Northfield Village

Post by jgarvas »

We've learned that Northfield Village, Ohio has an ordinance that prohibits open carry, possession of a visable firearm near/around businesses, etc. We are investigating this ordinance and will notify the village on Tuesday that it is not in compliance with ORC 9.68.

The Police Chief of this village is known for going door-to-door and hand delivering "No Guns" signs to businesses. Recently a patron of a tanning salon caused an employee to call police because of his firearm. He returned later and was arrested because the police department coerced a 17 year old employee to post a "No Guns" sign that he didn't see before entering the business. The Police Department here is somewhat hostile to gun rights.

This Wednesday, September 24th, is the next regularly scheduled council meeting. Consider attending this meeting at 7:30pm Wednesday. We plan on addressing the council Wednesday evening.

10455 Northfield Rd.
Northfield Village, Ohio
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Jerry B.

Re: Northfield Village Council 9/24/08 7:30pm (N. Summit Co)

Post by Jerry B. »

Hi there Jeff ! This is a new one I haven't seen. Right next store to where I live.

Last edited by Jerry B. on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NRA member.
CCW holder and staunch supporter of 2nd amendment rights.
Glock G19 W/Crimson Trace Laser Grips
SIG SAUER P229 Elite Stainless .40 cal
Glock G21SF 45ACP
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Northfield Village Council 9/24/08 7:30pm (N. Summit Co)

Post by jgarvas »

Updated: A letter advising the City of their conflicting ordinance was sent to the Mayor, Council, Police Chief, and Law Director late this afternoon.

If anyone is interested, there is a council meeting at 7:30pm tomorrow night. This is very close to Northfield Park Racetrack and there is a Handel's ice cream, and a few restaurants in the area if anyone would like to address the council tomorrow night.
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Northfield Village Council 9/24/08 7:30pm - Letter Sent

Post by Jake »

Please post an update after the meeting.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: SUCCESS - DIT - Northfield Village

Post by jgarvas »

I was lucky enough to draw AlanM and JerryB up to Northfield tonight (nice seeing you guys again) and had a blast. This has to have been one of the best times I've had addressing a city council about gun laws. The only person who seemed disturbed was an older woman in the crowd. The Mayor was very interested in communicating.

Yesterday (Tuesday) at 3pm we sent the village and law director a very nice letter explaining that the city can't ban open carry or pass any gun ordinance.

About thirty seconds into my introduction the Law Director revealed legislation to repeal their ordinance, but we continued to discuss the issue for nearly fifteen minutes or more.

Details on the status on http://www.OhioCCW.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; later tonight.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Jefe, you da MAN!!! :D
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Jerry B.

Post by Jerry B. »

Nice seeing you again Jeff !!! Also, nice to finally meet Alan !!!! Definately worth the trip !!!!! :mrgreen:

NRA member.
CCW holder and staunch supporter of 2nd amendment rights.
Glock G19 W/Crimson Trace Laser Grips
SIG SAUER P229 Elite Stainless .40 cal
Glock G21SF 45ACP
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Great job Jeff and cohorts!!

Great strides are being made indeed...one day at a time. :D
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Last night I witnessed the conversation that has been a standing joke running through my head for years.

Law Director to Jeff, "Are you carrying a gun right now?"

Jeff, "Of course not, that would be illegal."

There were some giggles in the room, the Law director then said, "I was serious."

Jeff went on to explain that municiple buildings are no gun zones per the ORC.

Jeff got infinitely better treatment from the Northfield council than he did from Independence.
They listened and promptly ingnored him like he was invisible.
I happened to be at that meeting also.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.