Circleville City Parks

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
docpadds

Circleville City Parks

Post by docpadds »

Was looking to set a rental of a shelter in Circleville today and i downloaded the PDF to find that Rule 20 says no firearms are permitted in their parks..... interesting. Am going to go see if there are signs.

Here is the PDF
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Circleville City Parks

Post by JustaShooter »

So, when is the open carry rally, and will you be renting a pavilion? :twisted:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
NEO Carry

Post by NEO Carry »

Ohio Carry can call tomorrow and inquire as to when these rules will be updated to reflect state law.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

NEO, if you don't mind, I'd like to make the call.

Here is the response I got from the then and now City Law Director after I contacted them about a reported CPZ sign in one of their parks in May of 2012:
Dear "MWSY":

Your inquiry regarding openly carrying a handgun within parks in Circleville was referred to my office for response. In this regard, at the present time, I am not aware of any prohibitions in the City of Circleville which would prohibit you from openly carrying your firearm in the city parks.
Obviously, a firearm must be carried openly and cannot be pointed at or otherwise used to threaten individuals as this is restricted under the criminal code.

Sincerely,
Gary D. Kenworthy

I will send him an email shortly, so it is waiting for him.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sent this:
Dear Mr. Kenworthy-

It was brought to my attention recently that there is a Park Shelter Rental form being provided by the Circleville Department of Parks & Recreation that contains a rule or regulation in violation of R.C. 9.68.

A downloadable version of the form can be found at the following link: http://www.ci.circleville.oh.us/Files/P ... 20Form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This form does not appear to have been updated in quite a while and the ILLEGAL rule #20 on that form is probably just an oversight.

Please let me know when this form will be updated to comply with state law.

I did not notice any such park regulation in the city's codified ordinances and would expect an updated form to be available fairly quickly. If updating this form DOES require action by city council, please suggest that any ordinance required for such an update receive emergency status.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
July 7, 2014
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

As I anticipated, the Law Director responded right away, but I didn't get his email until today.

Two words: spam filter :oops:

This is his reply:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 9:18 AM
To: "MWSY"
Subject: RE: Circleville Park Shelter Rental form contains an ILLEGAL rule

Dear Mr. "MWSY",

Thanks for bringing this outdated language in our Park Rules to my attention. I have spoken to the appropriate parties and they will be changing the language to more accurately reflect the prohibition to allow handguns when you have a carry concealed permit.

Gary D. Kenworthy

And yes, I caught his "misunderstanding" and sent this:

Gary-

Thank you for responding so quickly!

I had not seen a reply from you and called your office today. The very nice lady I spoke with let me know you HAD replied and was kind enough to re-send your email to me.

Sure enough, BOTH emails wound up in my spam filter. Oops.

Also, thank you for taking action on this issue but I need to point out a small detail.

There is NO requirement that a person have a Concealed Handgun License in order to carry a firearm openly.

That point should be kept in mind when amending the Park Shelter Rental Form.

As the form already contains a clause for the renter to "comply with the laws of the State of Ohio", my suggestion would be to simply strike Rule #20 from the form.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
July 14, 2014
The web page HAS been updated with a new "Facility Rental Form" that is STILL in violation as it restricts open carry.

The new form is here: http://www.ci.circleville.oh.us/Files/F ... 20Form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I was in Circleville today and snapped a pic of their 'no weapons zone ' signage..
I saw two. One each at the NE and SE entrances of Ted Lewis park.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I just got off the phone with the law director after making him aware of the signs.

He will "look into it".

While I really want to post the eye roll smiley, he has made changes in the past.

Give it a week and see what happens.
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I just got off the phone with the law director after making him aware of the signs.

He will "look into it".

While I really want to post the eye roll smiley, he has made changes in the past.

Give it a week and see what happens.
Wow.. you have his number.. that implies something.
You d 'man. Thanks.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It just implies that the city law director has a phone number listed on the city web site.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

The 'Weapon free zone' signs are no longer posted at the north and south entrances on the east side of Ted Lewis park.
On a lighter note, there is now no smoking allowed in the park - that sign space is prime real estate.

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Aesinsp wrote:The 'Weapon free zone' signs are no longer posted at the north and south entrances on the east side of Ted Lewis park.
On a lighter note, there is now no smoking allowed in the park - that sign space is prime real estate.
Why pull up a post when you can just change the sign??
LOL

Technically, the wording on that sign was correct, wasn't it?
Technically?

If you can't carry a gun legally, you can't carry in there, right?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Chuck wrote:...
Technically?

Nope.

The law doesn't authorize us to carry past a CPZ sign.
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Chuck wrote:
Aesinsp wrote:The 'Weapon free zone' signs are no longer posted at the north and south entrances on the east side of Ted Lewis park.
Why pull up a post when you can just change the sign??
LOL

Technically?

I get where one COULD draw that distinction.. but the BIG letters is what probably sinks into most people 'WEAPON FREE ZONE'. Thank goodness 9.68 seems to be clearer in it's intent than the vague wording on that sign. :)

Tugger07

Post by Tugger07 »

sorry to bring up old post, but I too was looking into renting a shelter house from circleville and I have noticed that as of today, the rules on the shelter rental page has not been changed.