Canfield Fair (Mahoning County Fair)

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Canfield Fair (Mahoning County Fair)

Post by sd790 »

BriKuz wrote:
SEMEYE wrote:It looks like we're good. This is the only sign present and it appears to be in compliance. Photo taken just moments ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37uzt3yvxr8wo ... .jpeg?dl=0
NOT good. There is no "permit" required to open carry a firearm, so that sign is still BS.
There is no "permit" to carry concealed either. They must be referring to a LICENSE. That sign needs to come down.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

SEMEYE wrote:It looks like we're good. This is the only sign present and it appears to be in compliance. Photo taken just moments ago.

Although I am afraid of questioning a guy with an icon like that :shock: I don't think this sign is in compliance. What is that about a permit? Doesn't seem right to me.
"Who is John Galt?"

"So this is how freedom dies --- with thunderous applause."
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

Hey MWSY!!! Don't you have a history with one of the contacts there?
"Who is John Galt?"

CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

Hmmmm, "All patrons ..... must wera shirts and shoes..." No mention of pants - I'm just sayin'.
"Who is John Galt?"

LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

Runner_Girl78 wrote:Wow, way to go, guys! Not sure if we'll be attending the fair this year, but I like hearing the signs are down!
This! Way to go guys.
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Beaston330 wrote:
Runner_Girl78 wrote:Wow, way to go, guys! Not sure if we'll be attending the fair this year, but I like hearing the signs are down!
This! Way to go guys.
You may want to read the entire thread before you post. :mrgreen:

They still have a sign up that is in violation of R.C. 9.68.
MyWifeSaidYes
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Beaston330 wrote:
This! Way to go guys.
You may want to read the entire thread before you post. :mrgreen:

They still have a sign up that is in violation of R.C. 9.68.
MWSY is correct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37uzt3yvxr8wo ... .jpeg?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are seemingly brand new signs and they definitely are in violation.

Come to think of it, the Knife Rights folks might have an objection to its legality also.
"Who is John Galt?"

CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

Just sent this:

Dear Fair Directors,

Congratulations on a fantastic 2014 Canfield Fair. You have made a habit of producing great fairs year after year.

I very much enjoy the fair and want to point out a violation of Ohio law that I am sure is unintentional. You have these signs posted at the entrance gates. Your mention of guns being prohibited is still illegal even with the qualifying statement in the red lettering.

Last year you received the email below. Unless ownership has changed, it still applies. The email read:

“Agricultural Societies are created under Ohio Revised Code 1711. This statute allows for a COUNTY or an INDEPENDANT Ag Society to be established.

When choosing to form as an INDEPENDANT organization, this does NOT make that organization a private entity. An Ag Society that manages a fairground or creates a fair board to do so, is a political subdivision of the state of Ohio. In other words, ALL Ag societies created under ORC 1711 are public entities. See Greene Cty. Agricultural Soc. v. Liming (2000), 89 Ohio St.3d 551. (http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... io-486.pdf)

As all public entities are subject to the General Laws of the state of Ohio, Ag Societies must comply with ORC 9.68 regarding rules and regulations concerning firearms.

Under Ohio law, an Ag Society or fair board may post a "No Guns" sign on any building that is not primarily a rest area, shelter, restroom or parking facility. An Ag Society may NOT post any open area.

ALL Ag Societies formed under ORC 1711 are bodies corporate and politic, and may sue and be sued. ORC 9.68 allows for a court to award costs and attorney fees should your organization be sued.

Lawsuits under ORC 9.68 are easily winnable, but not profitable.

Because the Ag Society is earning money (such as admission fees) while violating a state law, a plaintiff may have a valid reason to ask for punitive damages to be awarded. A reasonable amount to ask for might be an amount equal to the gate admission fees for the last seven years (since ORC 9.68 has been in effect).

I would ask the fair board and the Ag Society to IMMEDIATELY remove any and all signage that restricts the legal open carry or licensed concealed carry of firearms within the fairgrounds.

Please contact me when you have removed the signs, or with a reason for why you have not.

Thanks!”

You may contact the original sender of this email or myself when the illegal signs have been removed.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Carl Landis
"Who is John Galt?"

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

CousinCarl wrote:Come to think of it, the Knife Rights folks might have an objection to its legality also.
They might object on principle, but I'm not sure on what legal grounds they could do so since Ohio does not have preemption over knife laws.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!