Comparing Fed-100 SPP to Fed-200 SPP(m)

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Comparing Fed-100 SPP to Fed-200 SPP(m)

Post by Morne »

All,

For awhile I had a very hard time finding Fed-100 SPPs for my cowboy loads. Oddly, the Fed-200 SPP(magnum)s were plentiful on the shelves. So...I decided to buy some and do an experiment.

I have two (2) questions. The first is, "Does the same powder charge weight with the same bullet loaded to the same COAL give similar velocity by just swapping Fed-100 with Fed-200?" The second is, "Are Fed-200s as soft and easy to ignite as Fed-100s?"

Today, I tested question #1. I loaded three (3) different powder charges (0.7cc Trail Boss, 0.5cc Promo, and 5.6-gr Accurate #5) behind the same bullet (130-gr coated RNFP) using both normal and magnum Federal small pistol primers (Fed-100 & Fed-200). Results are as shown:

***CHRONY DATA***

.38 Spl 130-gr Coated RNFP 1.443-1.454" COAL
Taurus 66 with 6" barrel

0.7cc (3.0-gr) Trail Boss powder Fed-100 - AVERAGE = 633 fps - ES = 22.0
0.7cc (3.0-gr) Trail Boss powder Fed-200 - AVERAGE = 644 fps - ES = 44.3

0.5cc (3.5-gr) Promo powder Fed-100 - AVERAGE = 793 fps - ES = 67.6
0.5cc (3.5-gr) Promo powder Fed-200 - AVERAGE = 797 fps - ES = 41.9

5.6-gr Accurate #5 powder Fed-100 - AVERAGE = 804 fps - ES = 47.4
5.6-gr Accurate #5 powder Fed-200 - AVERAGE = 818 fps - ES = 25.5

As you can see going from regular to magnum primer changed the velocity minimally. I'll try these in my cowboy guns next to answer question #2.

That Trail Boss load was nice and gentle. :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Comparing Fed-100 SPP to Fed-200 SPP(m)

Post by JustaShooter »

As you've seen, magnum primers tend to give higher velocities - but what your test didn't reveal is that change in velocity depends on the powder and charge weights. So, even though your increase was pretty small in this case, you don't know what the increase will be (and the corresponding increase in pressure) for a different powder or charge weight so you always want to back off and work up from minimum any time you change components, especially primers.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

What I know about reloading wouldn't fill a thimble but Morne, aren't the volumes listed in the first two tests backwards?
0.7cc (3.0gr) and 0.5cc (3.5gr)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

AlanM wrote:What I know about reloading wouldn't fill a thimble but Morne, aren't the volumes listed in the first two tests backwards?
0.7cc (3.0gr) and 0.5cc (3.5gr)
No, they are in the correct order. Different powders have different densities. Trail Boss is very low in density on purpose.

Additionally, while there are some charts on what volume of which powder gives a certain mass DO NOT TRUST THEM. I have found (small) variances from the literature values. Always verify your mass.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I believe the difference is a FAR bigger deal when we are working with high pressure cartridges and loads. Cowboy action calibers are the absolute polar opposite of high pressure.

And now to throw a monkey wrench in the works:

Word is, Federal may be ending production of the world famous Federal 100 SPP in favor of a new lead-free "Earf Friendly" non-toxic primer. I am certain to be wildly disappointed with this development.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!