Legalities...

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Legalities...

Post by WY_Not »

Debate on another site I'm on over whether it is legal to sell one's reloads without a license; unused, leftovers, whatever you want to call them but not as a business. ie I have a few boxes.45 ACP reloads left and I've switched over to 9mm and have no need of the .45 ACP any longer. Liability issues alone make the decision a resounding NO. But, from a strictly legal standpoint, can you? BATFE site says you don't need a license to manufacture (06) to reload if not for business or profit. Beyond that their site is pretty worthless. Are reloads like normal firearms where you can sell without a license if you aren't doing so as a business? Or are reloads like finished 80% firearms that you can finish (manufacture) but once you do so you can't sell?

Any regs or code references would help, I'm finding squat with searches and on the BATFE site.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: Legalities...

Post by evan price »

It's the same vague laws such as "curio and relic ffl may not engage in the business of buying & selling firearms but may buy or sell to enhance their collection"

So if one buys a crate of mosin rifles and keeps the two nicest ones, then sells the rest to cover the cost of the entire crate, is that business?
What about buying an exemplar of a particular pistol in fair condition and then buying one in excellent condition and selling the rougher one for more than you paid but still less than the minty one? You did technically profit.

Generally speaking i would think that a one-time sell off of surplus reloaded ammo as components shouldn't trigger a batfe assault. But if you did it at multiple gun shows and on line for months at a time...?

That said selling reloads to anybody as usable ammo is foolish for both buyer and seller.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Legalities...

Post by JustaShooter »

I agree with evan's assessment. You have to be "in the business of buying and selling" to need a license, so a one-time (or even occasional) sale of some reloads *should* be OK - but it is always up to the interpretation of the ATF. Also agree with the liability - other than selling them as components, it isn't worth the risk.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!