Can I Use What I've Got?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

revred

Can I Use What I've Got?

Post by revred »

Once again, I come seeking guidance. :) I'm still very, very new to reloading. I started with .357SIG, which wasn't the best choice to learn with. I moved on to 9mm and have loaded less that 2K rounds and they all used the same recipe. After a couple years of no time/no money, I've got a little of each and a 9mm carbine that is starting to eat me out of house and home....the thing is too much fun to shoot. :lol:

Anyway, I have about 500 148gr .356 LRN left from what I bought a few years ago and I'm going to be ordering some 125gr LRN in the near future. I've always used Unique and never had a problem with it, but my father-in-law told me to take home what powder he had left in his shop and I haven't seen anything that says they'll work with 9mm. He's always shot and loaded for 30 06, so I'm not surprised. I brought home some IMR 4895, 4350, and 4064. All seem to be geared toward rifles, but that doesn't mean somebody hasn't been intrigued enough to work something up for a pistol. Or, maybe something for a .38 revolver/lever action. The .38/.357 dies haven't seen the light of day, yet. :wink:

Thanks!

Chris
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do." Professor Bernardo de La Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Can I Use What I've Got?

Post by JustaShooter »

Those are all rifle cartridge powders and are way too slow burning for handgun cartridges. I'm not saying nobody has ever found a use for them in the handgun cartridges you mention but I doubt it and there is no way I as an experienced handloader would every try it. Stick to published loads, and save that powder for when you pick up a Garand or whatever and start handloading for rifles.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

What he said. Those are rifle powders.
Your Unique will work. But a faster powder might work better for 9mm.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
revred

Post by revred »

Thanks, guys. I did a bunch more reading after I posted last night, guess I have some powder for my AR. :) Shooterwolf was kind enough to show me how to reload for 5.56, but I've never had a chance to do it...until now. :D
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do." Professor Bernardo de La Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Just for the sake of education on rifle powders in pistol ctg.

The powder mfg like Dupont many years ago published loads for powders like 4895 in cartridges like 44 magnum. This was in a publication they provided free of charge at gun stores.

Here is some reference to it right here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20031219053 ... oading.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have tried a few rounds of H335 in 44 magnum just to prove to myself that it worked, and it does. Never ran any across the crono.

Interested me enough that I just ordered that manual off Ebay for around $5 shipped :-)

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).