9mm reload issue

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 9mm reload issue

Post by Morne »

techmike wrote:I figured out what the problem is - the bullets are bent. Chucked a "gauge fail" in my drill press, lined up a dial indicator and manually rotated the spindle - wow! Also just received a shipping label from the distributor, they are going back.
Intriguing.

Usually, when I am loading my own it doesn't matter if the bullet is a little cock-eyed prior to seating because the seating die straightens it all out. The only exception is my .50Beo, which will wrinkle up the side of the casing if I try to shove a non-aligned bullet into the case with the seating die. :evil:

One thing is for certain - no use of a Lee FCD will rectify your issue. That will neither straighten our a crooked bullet nor fix oversized dimensions 2-5 on your diagram. :idea:

What match barrel are they referring to? Would you be so kind as to list all the 9mm guns you tried to chamber these rounds in? :?:

Please verify that this is your supplier for these:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

Guessing this is the product you bought:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... ired-brass
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
The German

Post by The German »

Not saying you should be doing it (I actually would return the ammo), but resizing, at least with the LEE factory crimp die, is exactly what you do with every single one of them when loading your own rounds, I'd agree that resizing with bullet seating and taper crimp die would not be a good idea.
techmike wrote:...
The German wrote:The only thing I would do with life ammo (besides shooting) is run them through the bullet seating / LEE factory crimp die. If it is bought ammo that is not up to specs, I would get it returned.
I thought about doing this, but the fine print on the Lyman gauge specifically warns against resizing loaded cartridges.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Morne wrote: Usually, when I am loading my own it doesn't matter if the bullet is a little cock-eyed prior to seating because the seating die straightens it all out. The only exception is my .50Beo, which will wrinkle up the side of the casing if I try to shove a non-aligned bullet into the case with the seating die. :evil:

One thing is for certain - no use of a Lee FCD will rectify your issue. That will neither straighten our a crooked bullet nor fix oversized dimensions 2-5 on your diagram. :idea:

What match barrel are they referring to? Would you be so kind as to list all the 9mm guns you tried to chamber these rounds in? :?:

Please verify that this is your supplier for these:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

Guessing this is the product you bought:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... ired-brass
Yes, That is the seller and product. Tried this ammo in the following pistols: (Plonk test, not firing) 2ea Para Ordinance LDA Carry 9's (match barrels), STI Spartan III, Llama 1911, and a Zastava M70A. The fail rounds mostly fit into the M70, guess that barrel must be a bit looser than the rest. VIDEO - first part is a factory round that shows about .001" deviation on the side of the projectile. Second part shows a DRS reload that fails the Lyman cartridge gauge - about .007" deviation. Guessing this is the issue that causes the rounds to fail the gauge.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Time to close this issue, the guys at Ammo to Go issued a return, (they paid shipping), and issued me a store credit for the entire amount. Good customer service. For an extra $25 I have a case of factory Blazer Brass on order.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788