Semi-automatic bullet sizer

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Semi-automatic bullet sizer

Post by jeep45238 »

I love the sound of this thread's title :-)

The skinny is I have one of the cheap $30 Lee presses bolted up next to my Dillon. The Dillon has a bullet feeder with a collator, so all bullets get oriented nose up after initial adjustment. It's adjusted and working wonderfully. However, between 6 cavity molds, case/bullet feeders, and some nice bulk bullet coatings, there's one thing that takes up so much time and frustration for me - sizing the bullets, one at a time, and orienting them all by hand to do so.

I'm looking at the idea of building a feeding mechanism to go between the single stage and the output tube of the bullet collator to speed resizing. Essentially, I want the bullets to get arranged and dropped in a tube, then a plate with a hole in it to transfer the bullet over to the press post. This mechanism needs to be operated by the ram of the press, so as fast as you can pull the handle, you're sizing bullets.

Has anybody built something like this before? I'm a little hesitant to flip the press upside down, as I'll need to create a 'flipper' between the collator and the press - but flipping it would allow a funnel of sorts to guide and keep the bullet in place while the ram post is coming into position.

*WARNING*. This post written by an enlisted member under the influence of Miller. It might wind up great....or horrible.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Dave Shooter

Re: Semi-automatic bullet sizer

Post by Dave Shooter »

I have not used one, but the Star sizer (now made by Magma?) is supposedly fastest sizing as you only put the unsized bullet in and they drop out automatically.

I was under the impression that cast lead, traditionally lubed bullets would gum up a Mr. Bulletfeeder. Coated run fine though.

If you get it to work post pics please!
jeep45238

Re: Semi-automatic bullet sizer

Post by jeep45238 »

I'm actually doing coated bullets in the garage, ala Hi-Tek. For that reason Star machines are out of the picture.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction