Powder Storage

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Powder Storage

Post by techmike »

How do you store yours? Trying to get some ideas for mine. Thanks!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Powder Storage

Post by Stryker74 »

techmike wrote:How do you store yours? Trying to get some ideas for mine. Thanks!
In tiny brass containers! :lol: (Sorry - I couldn't resist!)

Carry on!
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Stryker74 wrote:
techmike wrote:How do you store yours? Trying to get some ideas for mine. Thanks!
In tiny brass containers!
That's certainly a good way, and my preferred way. :mrgreen:

But when I run out of tiny brass containers I keep my excess powder in its original containers and place those containers in a wooden cabinet with 1" thick walls and door, and with a door that closes loosely enough that were the powder to ignite it can vent without turning the cabinet into an IED - at least, I hope it works that way, I haven't actually tested it... :shock:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JustaShooter wrote:... I haven't actually tested it... :shock:
I can take care of that for you. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If you can find one at an auction or Mendelson's in Dayton (or similar)... the metal cage lockers. They secure the powder but don't become IED during a house fire.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Cool, dry place is all I really do. I'm more concerned about preserving the powder long-term than I am any fire hazards.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

glocksmith wrote:Cool, dry place is all I really do. I'm more concerned about preserving the powder long-term than I am any fire hazards.
I agree. At one time, I had it stored in a shed outside but I became concerned about summertime temperatures. Now I keep it in the basement.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I'd be more concerned about large numbers of primers stored in a confined space. Now those could wreak havoc in a fire :shock:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Is there a limit on indoor storage in Ohio? Quantity wise? Thanks for all, well, almost all of the answers. (Little brass containers he said...) :D
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techmike wrote:Is there a limit on indoor storage in Ohio? Quantity wise? Thanks for all, well, almost all of the answers. (Little brass containers he said...) :D
There's some state fire code in the ORC which addresses this topic. But in spite of being in the fire/ems racket, I don't recall the particulars. Sorry about that, my role is about 95% hands on work, very little inspection/code enforcement duties most days.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

techmike wrote:Is there a limit on indoor storage in Ohio? Quantity wise? Thanks for all, well, almost all of the answers. (Little brass containers he said...) :D
What I was able to find in the Ohio Fire Code regulating explosives and fireworks (http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1301:7-7-33v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is the following in (A) (2) (b)
(b) 3301.2.2 Residential uses. No person shall keep or store, nor shall any permit be issued to keep or store, any explosives at any place of habitation, or within 100 feet (30 480 mm) thereof.

Exception: Storage of smokeless propellant, black powder and small arms primers for personal use and not for resale in accordance with paragraph (F)(3306) of this rule.
Exceptions:
4. The possession, storage and use of not more than 1 pound ( 0.454kg) of commercially manufactured sporting black powder, 20 pounds (9 kg) of smokeless powder and 10,000 small arms primers for hand loading of small arms ammunition for personal consumption.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Not to worry, those regs are rarely enforced unless it's after a kersplosion where death or injuries occur.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Thanks guys!