Look what showed up yesterday...

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Look what showed up yesterday...

Post by Sevens »

Well that's kinda sad.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

I have been looking at getting this same Lee kit as it was the most affordable reloading 'starter' kit I had found. I would be reloading .223 and 9mm mostly. I would like to hear your feedback on it once you get it all set up and have cranked out some rounds.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Sevens wrote:Well that's kinda sad.
Learning about something new and experimenting with it is always fun.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

18M_RWR wrote:I have been looking at getting this same Lee kit as it was the most affordable reloading 'starter' kit I had found. I would be reloading .223 and 9mm mostly. I would like to hear your feedback on it once you get it all set up and have cranked out some rounds.
I cranked out 50 38 Specials, it might be awhile until I do more (or I sell it). But I picked the Turret kit because it is faster than a single stage press but not super fast like a progressive. The turrets hold the dies, so you don't have to set them up again and again as you work. I didn't use the auto powder feed, as I was weighing and loading each load, figure that will make you faster once you master the process. Press is well made overall (there are a few plastic parts) and price point is sharp, so a solid purchase for the money.

I also like that you make one full round at a time vs a full batch of the same thing.

I did buy another scale, as the Lee scale isn't all that loved.

I think of this as a reloading set up that can grow with you and not break the bank.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
mreising

Post by mreising »

Mr. Glock wrote: I weighed each charge on an RCBS 505 scale and dumped it into the case with a powder funnel....seems like the low winter humidity kept some of the powder sticking in the funnel though, which slowed down the process.
Get some powdered graphite, like you use to lubricate locks. Puff a little bit out of the tube onto the plastic parts that are in the powder pathway and smear it with your finger or a tissue. It only takes a very thin coating and the static charges will not occur. This works for powder funnels and powder measures and drop tubes. I always put a coating on the inside of the powder measures, especially the Lee ones, which seemed to be especially prone to static build up. I know some people advocate using dryer sheets, but those can leave a "soap" film that I would rather not have in contact with powder. The graphite should only be a film also, but if it contacts the powder it will have no adverse effect; the only drawback is it is a little messy when you apply it.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Thanks for the tip...what does everyone think of the Lee Auto Disc powder system? It came with the kit, but I haven't used it yet.

Considering my issues with variable powder charges (not too variable, but it slowed me down), I was thinking it would make it easier/neater/cleaner.

I'm thinking that I'd be more excited to load, say 44 SPL or light 44 Mag or other really pricey loads I don't shoot much, vs 38 SPL that is probably just easier to buy (based on time available).
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mr. Glock wrote:Thanks for the tip...what does everyone think of the Lee Auto Disc powder system? It came with the kit, but I haven't used it yet.
I like the Auto Disk system, but prefer the Pro version - can't remember all of the differences but it is teflon coated, has closer tolerances so it has much less leakage with the very fine ball powders, and has an "elastomer wiper" which prevents cutting kernels of powder and helps with the leakage. Worth the extra cost, in my opinion.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Mr. Glock wrote:Learning about something new and experimenting with it is always fun.
Oh sure, but it doesn't sound like the hobby is grabbing you and dragging you in -- which is the part that sounds kind of disappointing to me. I'm knee deep in it and simply love it. I get that it's not for everyone and certainly requires a large dedication in time and patience.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I have two sets of the Autodisk system but I have never used either one and have no intention of it. I know they work for many folks and IIRC, Evan Price has many years of great loading with them. I much prefer my measure, an older Lyman 55 and it gets a full 100% of my powder handling tasks.

The big problem I have with the Lee Autodisk system is that it is a fixed-cavity setup. Yes, many to choose from and yes, some people even alter the cavity so that it drops EXACTLY the charge they want, but I'm happy with my Lyman 55. As far as I am concerned... a great powder measure is the most important tool on the load bench and mine inspires complete confidence in my loads.

In bang-for-the-buck, the low priced Lee Autodisk has many fans and a well-earned reputation.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Lee recently came out with an auto drum.
http://leeprecision.com/auto-drum-powder-measure.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have the auto disk kit, it works okay. as long as you are looking for a middle range with a given powder and bullet weight. Flake powders like Unique seem to be the worst in fluctuations of a given throw, Bullseye and Titegroup seem to be a bit better. The drum looks interesting, I may pick it up in the next few months.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Whirlwind06 wrote:Lee recently came out with an auto drum.
http://leeprecision.com/auto-drum-powder-measure.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have the auto disk kit, it works okay. as long as you are looking for a middle range with a given powder and bullet weight. Flake powders like Unique seem to be the worst in fluctuations of a given throw, Bullseye and Titegroup seem to be a bit better. The drum looks interesting, I may pick it up in the next few months.
Recently saw a post on another forum where an individual was using the Auto Drum on a progressive and after loading 300 rounds noticed it wasn't being consistent at all, and was in fact completely failing to charge some cases entirely, others were well short. Can't recall the powder, and this was a novice reloader so probably hadn't done the anti-static stuff so I suspect powder bridging as the culprit but could be some other issue, perhaps even a design issue with the Auto Drum, I don't know. Should serve as a warning for anyone using a measure that does nto involve a scale - you really need to watch those charges, especially on a progressive press...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

JustaShooter wrote:
Whirlwind06 wrote: ...
Recently saw a post on another forum where an individual was using the Auto Drum on a progressive and after loading 300 rounds noticed it wasn't being consistent at all, and was in fact completely failing to charge some cases entirely, others were well short. Can't recall the powder, and this was a novice reloader so probably hadn't done the anti-static stuff so I suspect powder bridging as the culprit but could be some other issue, perhaps even a design issue with the Auto Drum, I don't know. Should serve as a warning for anyone using a measure that does nto involve a scale - you really need to watch those charges, especially on a progressive press...
Yeah that's why I like the Turret press the dies move around the the bullet and I can visually see the powder drop. And most times see the powder in the case.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I checked, and the kit came with the Pro Auto-Disk and I also have the Double Disk Kit too.

I was using Unique, so the static hang-ups were really messing with me in the powder funnel. I was using Unique as It just happened to be the powder that was listed in several of my loading manuals, was in the store and was recommended for 38 Spl.
mreising

Post by mreising »

I had a couple of the Lee 1000s, one set for 9s and one for 45s, and had no issues with the autodisk measures after I used graphite on the complete powder path. They do not work well, as others have mentioned, for some powders. I also had the Lee Pro? drum type measure and I used it for throwing powder for my .223 loads when loading on a single stage press. Since those loads were close to max and were for my match rifle, I always threw the charge into a pan and trickled up to the final few tenths of a grain. I also had a Hornady AP Progressive and the measure on it was very consistent for my handgun loads.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

I appreciate the feedback and tips for using the Lee turret kit set up. I just might have to pick one up. I don't usually have much spare time from spring to late fall but anymore my winters are not so busy and would have time to do some reloading.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer