Look what showed up yesterday...

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Look what showed up yesterday...

Post by Mr. Glock »

Taking the leap here, based on a good "on sale" price for the kit. I figured it would be a good winter project.And, if I don't partially like it, I haven't killed myself financially. I read the Lee and Hornady reloading manuals last winter, and have been picking up bits and pieces this summer (bullets, a better scale, bullet puller etc), waiting for the kit to go on sale.

I've been reading the Handloading threads here too for quite some time too.

I'm going to start with a 223 bolt gun that i'd like to reload for accuracy work and 38 SPL for higher volume shooting with standard loads. This allows me to try to tune a load on one hand and then reload a set standard load in bulk on the other hand.

The only thing i lack is a source for 158 gr 38 SPL/357 Mag bullets. I'm thinking about loading to regular 38 and +P pressures and firing in a 357 Mag wheel gun to start, so I thought a cast or coated bullet would be cheapest? I'm sticking with 158gr to replicate the feel of my factory loads in 38/357 where I prefer a 158.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
buckeye43210

Re: Look what showed up yesterday...

Post by buckeye43210 »

Congratulations on the new press. Also check out the Loadmaster Videos Forum and Ranch Dog's Lee Loader Forum.

Short of casting your own projectiles, you may want to consider purchasing some 158 grain bullets from Missouri Bullet Company, Bayou Bullets, X-Treme Bullets, etc.

Also, NOE has a new powder thru expander plug for Lee dies that turns them into to a true neck expanders like the Lyman M-dies.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Very nice. I also recommend reading the first part of the included book before getting started. Lots of great info (although at times it reads like a Lee sales pitch).
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Missouri Bullet Company has good prices on hard cast lead. I have loaded a lot of their 158 grain .38 and mid range .357 with no problems. I see someone already beat me to recommending Missouri Bullet Company
Dardas Cast Bullets is another good source.

https://www.missouribullet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.dardascastbullets.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Klingon00 wrote:Very nice. I also recommend reading the first part of the included book before getting started. Lots of great info (although at times it reads like a Lee sales pitch).
Last winter, I read the Hornday manual and then the Lee manual. That helped me to really understand the reloading process and to put together my list of items to purchase to do what I wanted. The Lee manual does have an old-timely sales angle to it, but in a fun way. I found both to be helpful. With the kit on sale, another copy of the book was free plus some.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I have a handful of very strong and confident recommendations for components but am happy to try and help no matter what you end up with.

If you want to start on the shoestring budget, 250-count of Berry's plated bullets from Cabela's are a decent buy on a great bullet. If you are ready to bring your costs lower (but lay out more cash to do it...) then punch up Xtreme or Berry's from different online sources.

I will very much suggest that the best place for a new handloader to start ANYTHING is with .38 Special.
And then, I will say that 158gr and plated is the best way to go from there. And a fast burning powder for sure. My favorite here is going to be Bullseye, but AA#2 or Ramshot Zip will also do well. Many like Titegroup and it works well and is easy to work with -BUT- runs HOT and I don't care for the irrational amount of heat my revolvers exhibit when using the stuff.

Why these components?
Cast lead is a different animal and has a learning curve to get the most out of them. Typically will give you more work in cleaning the guns, typically isn't "one size fits all" for all your different guns and it's also nearly totally prohibited on indoor ranges if you ever frequent those. Personally, I think cast lead is terrific but it is for more seasoned handloaders. Think about cast lead bullets as a later project when you're comfortable with the ammo you have made starting out.

Plated, at .38 Special speeds and pressures acts very much like jacketed but with significantly less cost. I find the bullets from both Berry's and Xtreme to be quite consistent and both are fantastic performers. I have seriously loaded in excess of 100k of these things across a dozen chamberings, I am a genuine fan.

And I choose 158gr in .38 for damn sure, because 125 gr slugs in .38 just leave -WAY- too much empty room in the cartridge case and depending on your load and powder, give inconsistent results... poor ignition (depending on powder) and too much chance of a stuck bullet, especially in revolvers where precious and much needed gas pressure ESCAPES from the flash gap. Theoretically... the longer 158gr bullet tends to have more bearing surface which promotes accuracy also.

When you are ready to start building .357 Magnum loads, get on board NOW with the idea that a different, slower and more appropriate powder is a wise choice and well worth the extra cost. And BULLETS. When moving up in pressure and speed and especially for the use of a decent roll crimp, it's time to move to true jacketed bullets. They will cost more. They are worth it.

I could talk about this stuff all day. :lol:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Cast lead is a different animal and has a learning curve to get the most out of them.
When you say cast are you talking about wheel weights and a Lee .38 molds in the back yard? Or the hard cast bullets from the above named companies. And what about the coated bullets that are all the rage right now, some folks have opined that the coated bullets lead less.

Sorry for the thread drift.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Whirlwind, that isn't thread drift at all.

I see Missouri Bullets has two grades of cast bullets, Cowboy (i.e. Slow) and Action (Fast). I want to duplicate a decently fast load, so the faster Action ones make sense. And they have a coated bullet....is this of what you speak, Sevens?

Also, take a look at their FAQs...a couple of funny ones, especially the one about fully loaded ammo. :wink:
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Xtreme is where it is at. Their 158-gr CPSWC has been through my guns by the boatload.

I'm still shellshocked by the fact that W231 is out of production. I'm jealously guarding my last jug of it. Still trying to perfect the right load for .38 special with either Red Dot or Bullseye powder.

Ramshot Zip also sounds interesting... :idea:

ETA - I will reduce your risk to zero. If you buy upwards of a 1,000 .38 Spl 158-gr CPSWC from Xtreme and for some reason you don't like them then I will buy them from you for exactly what you paid (pro-rated as to the number remaining, shipping included). Beat that.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

"Hmmm! I bought this EIGHT THOUSAND during the panic! They were eighty bucks per hundred!!!"
:shock: :lol:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

When I say that cast lead has their own learning curve, I'm talking about buying pre-lubed commercial cast like Missouri. I have done a lot of loading with commercial cast (Dardas is my first choice, Penn Bullets a close second) and have never worked with Missouri Bullet co, however -- the masses have spoken and MoBoCo may be THE industry leader in quality, price, selection and SERVICE. Their reputation, especially for service, is top-notch.

As for coated bullets, seems to me that it may be an attempt to address some of the annoyances of commercially cast lead without going to plated. Since I find a lot of value in the plated bullets I enjoy, I have made no effort to investigate coated bullets. I hear that Bayou Bullets has quite a following.

Even still, for a first-time handloader, I say that quality plated is where it's at.

As to W231, unless I missed a brand new press release-- what I heard was that it's days are numbered and that it WILL be discontinued, but I don't believe production has been suspended yet. As I don't/haven't ever used it, I don't have a stake in it.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

I have had good luck with both plated and coated. Xtremes for .38 Special and BBIs for 9mm and .40.
When I switched from Xtremes to BBIs in .40 I found I needed two tenths less powder to achieve same velocity.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Morne wrote:I'm still shellshocked by the fact that W231 is out of production. I'm jealously guarding my last jug of it. Still trying to perfect the right load for .38 special with either Red Dot or Bullseye powder.
:shock: :shock: Wait... WHAT?! :shock: :shock:

Is there a press release on that?
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Morne wrote:Xtreme is where it is at. Their 158-gr CPSWC has been through my guns by the boatload.

ETA - I will reduce your risk to zero. If you buy upwards of a 1,000 .38 Spl 158-gr CPSWC from Xtreme and for some reason you don't like them then I will buy them from you for exactly what you paid (pro-rated as to the number remaining, shipping included). Beat that.
I ordered some today....free shipping for a first time order too.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I had fun setting up my Lee Turret over the winter, and I cranked out 50 rounds of 38 SPL in 5 different powder weights after a bit of testing and working up to actual loaded rounds. I weighed each charge on an RCBS 505 scale and dumped it into the case with a powder funnel....seems like the low winter humidity kept some of the powder sticking in the funnel though, which slowed down the process.

I went out today to chrono my loads in two different guns, and it generally worked just fine. I had one very low load but no very high ones. I was a little more variable than most factory ammo, but a good learning experience.

That said, although I really wanted to try reloading, I just can't see taking the time to keep it up into the future. Just too many other priorities and limited time. I can completely understand why so many folks enjoy it though.