WTB: Lee Auto-Prime II

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

buckeye43210

WTB: Lee Auto-Prime II

Post by buckeye43210 »

I'd like to buy a Lee Auto-Prime II. Here's a picture of what I'm looking for.

buckeye43210

Re: WTB: Lee Auto-Prime II

Post by buckeye43210 »

Found one. Thank you.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Glad you found one! Curious about where or how.

I got one of these in 1988. I still use it. I love most everything about it including the hands on "feel" and feedback of the press lever when seating primers and the ultimate ability to completely control the seating depth. And it uses standard shell holders. I think it is genius in it's simplicity and there is only one thing that completely baffles me to no end:

Why did Lee cease production of it?

If I see another at a shop or show somewhere, it'll leave with me, most likely.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Sevens wrote:Glad you found one! Curious about where or how.

I got one of these in 1988. I still use it. I love most everything about it including the hands on "feel" and feedback of the press lever when seating primers and the ultimate ability to completely control the seating depth. And it uses standard shell holders. I think it is genius in it's simplicity and there is only one thing that completely baffles me to no end:

Why did Lee cease production of it?

If I see another at a shop or show somewhere, it'll leave with me, most likely.
Lee discontinued this and the Auto Prime hand tool with round primer trays because of the danger of a chain reaction from a primer exploding during the seating process.

I stumbled on an ebay auction with a nebulous title that ended in the wee hours of a week day mourning. I placed my bid before going to bed the night before it ended and woke up the next day to learn that I was the only bidder. A user named A Pause for the COZ discussed using RCBS shell holder bushings to prevent primer flipping on Cast Boolits and Handloaders Bench..

buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Lee claims they still sell some Auto-prime ii spare parts. They also sell Pro 1000 parts that are compatible...

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

It's been my experience that as long as you still have primers all the way to the top of the slide (tray can be empty... but "just now" empty) that the primers will happily slide down exactly where they need to be with no flipping -- and nary a problem of any manner.

And I think many have found that primers sitting in a square or circular FLAT tray with a cover are never going to be the potential (or kinetic?!) hazard that the Dillon-style primer tube has shown it can be.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Sevens wrote:It's been my experience that as long as you still have primers all the way to the top of the slide (tray can be empty... but "just now" empty) that the primers will happily slide down exactly where they need to be with no flipping -- and nary a problem of any manner.

And I think many have found that primers sitting in a square or circular FLAT tray with a cover are never going to be the potential (or kinetic?!) hazard that the Dillon-style primer tube has shown it can be.
I can see how stacking primers would increase the risk of a chain reaction. I've also modified the way I use my original Auto-Prime hand tool by rolling my wrist after letting a single primer slide down the chute so the remaining primers are out of the way. This cuts down on double feeds and reduces the chance of a chain reaction.