$25 S&B Primers At Cabelas

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

buckeye43210

$25 S&B Primers At Cabelas

Post by buckeye43210 »

Found $25 Sellier & Bellot Primers at Columbus Cabelas.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: $25 S&B Primers At Cabelas

Post by Sevens »

Just for the sake of conversation...
I paid $20/k for these at Cabela's in August. Of course, that was on sale -and- it was in Mitchell, SD. ;)

I found that they require more force to properly seat than do CCI, Winchester or Federal. Even with that, I went ahead and loaded two thousand and from that load, I've sent more than 750 down range (small and large pistol, in 9mm and .45) and I have had zero problems.

I am not so sure we will see a steady supply of these primers however, as S&B had a horrendous explosion at their plant, I think three people were lost in the blast.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Sevens wrote:Just for the sake of conversation...
I paid $20/k for these at Cabela's in August. Of course, that was on sale -and- it was in Mitchell, SD. ;)

I found that they require more force to properly seat than do CCI, Winchester or Federal. Even with that, I went ahead and loaded two thousand and from that load, I've sent more than 750 down range (small and large pistol, in 9mm and .45) and I have had zero problems.

I am not so sure we will see a steady supply of these primers however, as S&B had a horrendous explosion at their plant, I think three people were lost in the blast.

They were $16.99/K on sale when they first got them in, some big sale a little while ago.
Vance's has had CCIs on sale for about the same price lately.
Lots of primers in stock at every gun store I've been to lately, and plenty of powder too.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Sevens wrote:I found that they require more force to properly seat than do CCI, Winchester or Federal.
That's interesting, since S&B brass tends to require slightly more force to seat CCI, Winchester or Federal primers than other brass, to the point I cull and discard it. You'd think their brass and primers would be a better match, but it looks like seating S&B primers into S&B brass might be difficult.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Just glad the previous drought seems to have ended. Time to stock up for the next one...
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

:shock: :? :shock: CCI primers at "about the same price at Vance's" :?: :!:

Which Vance's, when, how much? In stock?! :shock:
JustaShooter wrote: That's interesting, since S&B brass tends to require slightly more force to seat CCI, Winchester or Federal primers than other brass, to the point I cull and discard it. You'd think their brass and primers would be a better match, but it looks like seating S&B primers into S&B brass might be difficult.
S&B brass definitely is, ahem, interesting to work with at the bench. I have a very specific use for one chambering of S&B brass and I recycle, trade or discard all the other chamberings.

I use it in .38 Special for hot .38 loads that are specifically to run my Coonan with the light 10-lb spring. I do this because I know I will lose some of this brass. I often get lengthwise splits (not because it is a warm load... but because it is ultra-thin) and even with factory once-fired S&B .38 brass, I know that 3-5% of it ends up tossed at the first try because the old primer does NOT want to come out. Decap pin can, will and does punch clean through the primer cup as if there is no anvil present. It is some of the cheapest and worst brass I have chosen to work with. And FWIW, Herter's headstamp is the same stuff, likely out of the same production facility.

But the primers did run well for me, with the above notes of course. At $25 plus tax these days, I have walked past them. At $20/k, I would likely buy 5,000 of them again.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

A guy in Germany recommends opening up the S&B primer pockets using a chamfering tool.

Here's a link to his YouTube video.