New old powder

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

97ZJwheeler

New old powder

Post by 97ZJwheeler »

I was recently given a 5lb can of 700-X powder. It's old, from my wife's late grandfather who hadn't reloaded in years before he passed. It's still canned under the Du-Pont brand, and in a metal can. And, there's at least one more partial can available to me, possibly another full can too. I know load data can change over the years for powders. But, having only become interested in reloading a few years ago, I don't have any manuals that would date back to when this powder was purchased.

I would like to use it in 12ga loads with 1 1/8oz of #7.5 or #8 shot, using Win. AA hulls, WAA12 wads, and I have on-hand Fed. 209A primers. Current data from Hodgdon's reload data shows 15-17.5 grains. I would prefer to load on the low side, I only use my reloads for recreational trap shooting.

Any suggestions on how I should approach the powder? Or any knowledge from experience with the powder?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'd like to keep all my digits :lol:
Brian D.

Re: New old powder

Post by Brian D. »

If the powder was kept dry and reasonably cool all these years it is probably fine to use. Today's loading data tends to be milder than years ago so I'd start from a minimum listed charge and go up if/as needed.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

LoadData.com (http://www.loaddata.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is a great place to dig around. Has links to Handloader magazine. And the staff/writers actually read and reply to email questions.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

700x has seen slight change since the beginning. If it was stored properly id have no hesitation in using it with todays load data..assuming it passes the smell test.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

One indicator if it's deteriorated is if you see a rust colored dust when you pour some out. If powder has deteriorated it makes excellent fertilizer due to the nitrates. :)
mreising

Post by mreising »

It even makes good fertilizer when it is not deteriorated. "Why no sir Mr. Fire Inspector, that is not an excess amount of gun powder in my residence, that's just my fertilizer,"
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
97ZJwheeler

Post by 97ZJwheeler »

Thanks for all the info everyone. Once I get my truck back together so I can actually get to my reloading bench, I'll have to see how I like the 700-X powder.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I've never had any trouble with old powders. I've got a few cans from the 1970's and the stuff still works. My Dad still has some Alcan, Hercules 2400 and a few other ancient powders...and they still work. You should be good to go :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!