450 SMC

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pistolepete

450 SMC

Post by pistolepete »

I posted a question on the firearms board and only got one reply.This round intrigues me. DoubleTap makes it . According to them the cartridge has the same dimensions as 45ACP but the case is thicker at the base and uses different primers.They say not to fire in a Glock but 1911s are ok.Much more velocity and preasure.Anyone out there ever try it.Obviously would be a round to be used sparingly but I Love the load data.
BobK

Re: 450 SMC

Post by BobK »

Thanks for raising this topic. I just googled 450 SMC and it is very intriguing. Getting 750 ft-lbs from a 45 is up there in .357 mag and serious 10 mm ballistics from a bigger and heavier bullet.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

The question is it too good to be true?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Seems like it would be tough on both gun and user. I wouldn't be convinced otherwise without seeing video showing recoil to be manageable.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

From my understanding, if the gun is rated to handle +p loads, then you should be good to go. It would be a good idea to put in a more robust recoil spring though.

In regards to fire from a glock. From my understanding they do not have a fully supported chamber and that if used repeatedly may create a problem. Of course my knowledge on glock firearms is very limited.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Gunnar Christensen over at Armco Machine & Plating was making a similar wildcat round called the 45-08 out of .308 brass back as early as 2003.

Granted, the 45-08 used large rifle primers while the 450 SMC uses small rifle primers. This in theory makes the 450 SMC brass stronger...
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

The .460 Rowland was another attempt to push .45 caliber bullets to magnum type speeds. Unlike this cartridge it used longer brass to prevent it from being chambered in guns not designed for it. I'm pretty sure the .460 Rowland also outperforms the .450 SMC.

There are gunsmiths who can convert your .45 ACP pistols into .460 Rowland. Among other things they change are the springs, for obvious reasons.

So if you want to wring every last ounce of energy out of your .45 caliber pistol go that route.

Personally, I have magnum caliber revolvers. I can sling a heavy slug at ungawdly speeds with those. I see no call to do so in a semi-auto. If you do, good on you, just check with your gunsmith first.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I never bought into the whole Rowland thing. I remember watching his corny infomercial on TNN - both my Dad and I called BS during his watermelon demo - he used JHP's in the Rowland, but the regular .45acp rounds were FMJ's. Clever on his part, given the caliber of his target audience, but not good enough to fool longtime gun enthusiasts.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!