CCI Primers too hard vs Revolver

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CCI Primers too hard vs Revolver

Post by Morne »

I'm not worried about the primers while on the press, though I do wear eye protection anyway. My single-stage Lee with the rocker arm primer dispenser probably can't set one off anyhow, or if it could it would be while seating into the brass which would only yield a single primer pop rather than a chain reaction.

As to the Gaucho, it's funny you should mention that someone should dig deeper on it. As I'm getting to know her I notice a rub mark after every shooting session on the left side of the hammer. See below (awful, horrible, terrible) pic:

Also, when the hammer is at rest it is definitely sitting slightly to the left in the notch. Thus, I'm thinking something is a bit off. Maybe the hammer rubs the left side of the frame slightly during its fall and thus loses a small part of its velocity. The energy that's left when it hits the transfer bar is enough to always light Federal primers but not enough to reliably ignite CCI primers.

The question is how do I fix this? I see some screws on the back of the frame, one on either side of the hammer's base, but I don't want to go tinkering without some good instructions.

I don't mind using federal primers for Cowboy Action loads. Heck, I also got some Trail Boss to use for Cowboy Action loads. Naturally, you have to use lead bullets for this sport as opposed to copper plated which I normally prefer. Thus, my Cowboy Action loads could be their own unique powder/primer/bullet combination as compared to my normal, modern practice ammo.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CCI Primers too hard vs Revolver

Post by Sevens »

As I know you are a big fan of Taurus and I have no intention of turning this in to any manner of a brand war, I will simply say that I am one who can find a lot of good in Taurus in many ways, but a quarter century in to this ballgame has proven to me (again and again) that attention to detail and quality control is sporadic. Honestly, I find it somewhat like working with my Lee Pro-1000 progressive press. Way, way, WAY lower money than every other progressive on the market, but there are things you simply learn to "allow for" when working with this press. I feel the same way about Taurus. (and I have rolled over 100,000 rounds with the tremendous work of my Pro-1000)

I currently have three Taurus in my stable. I have had "relationships" with three others. The most recent Taurus I bought was just two months ago -- and it needs some help to get it where I hope it can be. Because I am comfortable with making my own judgement calls in spending money and in tinkering with guns, I find that Taurus is always going to be an option for me when I am in the mood to work with one. There is a lot of personal satisfaction in getting something for a low price, finding out what part you can improve and then DOING that and ending up with a firearm that puts a smile on your face.

Like I said, if someone wanted me to do a write up on all the things about Taurus that I like and appreciate, I could do a very solid write-up and none of it would be BS. But because of my experience (backed up with countless others), Taurus is not a brand I can simply suggest to others, especially beginners.

I have little doubt that you will get yours where you want it to be. I will heartily agree that the picture you posted was completely tragic! :shock: :P :lol:

The 'net's big Taurus group is at the TaurusArmed forums, I have little doubt they could help tremendously.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!