sonic case cleaners vs tumblers

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bama.45

sonic case cleaners vs tumblers

Post by Bama.45 »

I'm researching equipment to get back into reloading. I used a tumbler to clean my cases before, but now I'm seeing sonic case cleaners and wondering if anyone here has used them or seen them used. And what are your thoughts on them, they seem to run in the same price range as tumblers.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
djthomas

Re: sonic case cleaners vs tumblers

Post by djthomas »

I don't reload but a few people I know do and they seem to be split into three camps: sonic, traditional tumbler, or doing nothing at all. All are satisfied with their respective approaches and haven't had any issues. So I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

djthomas wrote:I don't reload but a few people I know do and they seem to be split into three camps: sonic, traditional tumbler, or doing nothing at all. All are satisfied with their respective approaches and haven't had any issues. So I guess it comes down to personal preference.
lol..For the longest time..I never cleaned my brass either..I didn't see any difference in performance between cleaned brass and uncleaned brass..Just made the cartridges look spiffy :P ..I don't care as much how they look, as to how good they shoot :lol:
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Haven't used one myself, but have seen them used. They eliminate the dust problem, and they do a remarkable job of cleaning the case, including primer pocket and inside the case. Perhaps too good of a job - I've heard where the inside of the case gets too clean and have had to run a pencil lead around the inside of the case mouth to facilitate seating a bullet. Also, after cleaning you have to dry the cases before loading them.

For me, tumbling is enough. I don't care if the cases are perfectly clean, I mostly just want to remove the grit & such and the crud. I add about a quarter cup of mineral spirits to the tumbler and run it for a few minutes before adding cases, which really cuts down on the dust and helps clean quite a bit as well.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JustaShooter wrote:Haven't used one myself, but have seen them used. They eliminate the dust problem, and they do a remarkable job of cleaning the case, including primer pocket and inside the case. Perhaps too good of a job - I've heard where the inside of the case gets too clean and have had to run a pencil lead around the inside of the case mouth to facilitate seating a bullet. Also, after cleaning you have to dry the cases before loading them.

For me, tumbling is enough. I don't care if the cases are perfectly clean, I mostly just want to remove the grit & such and the crud. I add about a quarter cup of mineral spirits to the tumbler and run it for a few minutes before adding cases, which really cuts down on the dust and helps clean quite a bit as well.

Thanks for the info and tip.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I've only ever used dry tumblers (currently a Lyman 1200 Pro and a Lyman Turbo Twin) with corn cob or walnut shell media for reloading. My only experience with sonic cleaners is in a machine shop environment. So take the opinion as you will.

I can't see myself using sonic cleaners (or any other wet media cleaner/tumbler) for reloading. To me it seems an extra step/time to dry them. Granted with my tumblers, I wipe down every case as I remove it (to clean the dust off) and then inspect the case but once wiped, I can go straight to reloading. With dry media I don't have to worry about whether there is any moisture left in the cases.

As for the dust problem... With the two Lyman tumblers that is easily remedied. Lay a shop towel on top and then put a garden hose rubber gasket down over the towel and nut that holds the lid in place. The gasket keeps the shop rag in place and the shop rag keeps the dust in the bowl.

Where I can see myself really liking a sonic cleaner would be in parts cleaning.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

WY_Not wrote:I've only ever used dry tumblers (currently a Lyman 1200 Pro and a Lyman Turbo Twin) with corn cob or walnut shell media for reloading. My only experience with sonic cleaners is in a machine shop environment. So take the opinion as you will.

I can't see myself using sonic cleaners (or any other wet media cleaner/tumbler) for reloading. To me it seems an extra step/time to dry them. Granted with my tumblers, I wipe down every case as I remove it (to clean the dust off) and then inspect the case but once wiped, I can go straight to reloading. With dry media I don't have to worry about whether there is any moisture left in the cases.

As for the dust problem... With the two Lyman tumblers that is easily remedied. Lay a shop towel on top and then put a garden hose rubber gasket down over the towel and nut that holds the lid in place. The gasket keeps the shop rag in place and the shop rag keeps the dust in the bowl.

Where I can see myself really liking a sonic cleaner would be in parts cleaning.

Hmm..Interesting thought about parts cleaning..I bet most pistol barrels and bolt assemblies would fit in the sonic cleaner..It claims it will hold 300 cases.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If it will hold 300 cases, it will definitely hold pistol barrels, bold assemblies, and BCGs.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm a dry tumbler because when I first got into it I didn't think there were other options. Personally I would never not clean the brass, and it's not for the shine, but it's to get any dirt off the outside. Smooth brash cycles much better both in a press and a firearm than dirty brass.

I haven't experienced the dust issue everyone talks about with dry tumbling but maybe it's there. I simply do a mixture of corn cob and walnut and add a bit of Nu-Finish car polish to the mix. It gets them pretty clean. The primer pockets may not be perfect, but I've never worried too much about having spotless primer pockets and have never experienced an issue.

The biggest disadvantage with the sonic cleaners is the drying process. You need to have a space to complete it. Your wife may not take too kind to the dining room table being used as a brass dryer all the time. The advantage though is now you also have a gun cleaner as well. You can clean your barrels and other parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, so it's sort of a two for one deal.

I don't think you can really go wrong either way.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I may just go with a tumbler for cases... But WY Not has really got me thinking about the sonic cleaner for my parts lol... My wife will thank ya for that one Wy Not! :P
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Might be the polish you add. I just run the treated media . Occasional use doesn't produce any noticeable dust but a few times when I ran thousands of rounds and the tumblers were running for several days straight I did notice a light layer of green dust around the tumbler. That is when I started tossing the shop rag on top. Dust problem solved.

If you run untreated media, check out the pet store. They carry corn cob media (or is it walnut?) as a bedding for small reptiles and birds. Usually noticeably cheaper than the same thing from the reloading companies.

Sometimes better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Get both. She'll quit hollering eventually. Maybe. :mrgreen:
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Before I got a tumbler, I used Dawn dish soap and hot water, rinse and repeat a few time to get the dirt off. Then Lime away to clean the brass. Then spread them out on old cookie sheets and put them in the oven for a few minutes. The lowest setting was warm enough to dry the brass out pretty quick.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Lol.. Neh, she wont say anything... I've already sold her on the fact it will be cheaper and we can shoot more. :lol:
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:Lol.. Neh, she wont say anything... I've already sold her on the fact it will be cheaper and we can shoot more. :lol:
You can shoot a lot more if you get her to help in the process. :lol:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:Lol.. Neh, she wont say anything... I've already sold her on the fact it will be cheaper and we can shoot more. :lol:
You can shoot a lot more if you get her to help in the process. :lol:

She probably would help me... She doesn't shy away from stuff like that... She likes doing things like that actually.. I joke with her all the time about her being a country girl :P
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07