First run in the new tumbler...

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

The German

First run in the new tumbler...

Post by The German »

I have been tumbling with the vibratory tumbler for a long time and this week made the switch to a rotary one with the steel pins and cleaning solution. (found the Frankford Arsenal one for $170 shipped with 5 lbs stainless media). It makes a quite an impressive visual difference, but I'm not sure if the rounds will shoot any better.... and it does not really matter either lol
welshj

Re: First run in the new tumbler...

Post by welshj »

from my limited experience with metal working...
My mind says that a more polished case would slide/feed/extract easier and smoother than one thats not.
Like the difference gained by polishing the feed throat of a pistol?
But I would think technically the real difference would be ever so slight?
They look good, and if i reloaded- Id want them shiny and smooth!
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
BobK

Post by BobK »

Nice pictures!

Here is one example of the results I get from using a regular vibratory tumbler, so it is apparent to me that one can get shiny cases with that method as well.

However, your rotary tumbled cases are clearly cleaner in the primer pocket and inside of the case.

I haven't wanted to go to the extra effort of using a rotary tumbler. Did you find the post-tumbling drying to take much time? How would you compare the amount of effort (time-wise) to clean the cases with a rotary tumbler vs a vibratory tumbler?

I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
The German

Post by The German »

The drying is less of a deal than what I thought if they go into the tumbler without the primer - I leave them on a few sheet of paper towels and the next day, they are good to go. For me, the overall effort is about the same (considering the water handling vs. checking if the primer pockets being free of corn media). From a timing perspective, I get the .223 rotary tumbled and clean as in the picture in about 2 hours, for similar results, the vibratory one had to run over night (and the range picked up mil surplus was still not coming out as clean in my vibratory tumbler).

For non-necked cartridges, besides the primer pocket being shiny, the vibratory and the rotary tumbler create pretty much identical results. I will probably continue using the vibratory tumbler for the straight walled cartridges as I use them in the progressive press and don't take the primers out before cleaning (and drying the shells with the primer in it is a pain).
MikeACP

Post by MikeACP »

Definitely a dramatic difference in how clean they are. Nice machine.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BobK

Post by BobK »

Thanks for letting me know. If the effort is comparable, I might as well pick up a rotary tumbler. Additional tools are always welcome. :lol:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
KimberTLE2

Post by KimberTLE2 »

I use a wet tumbler and love it. After they are done in the wet I towel dry and toss them in the dry tumbler for a hour or 10. They come out real shiny =)
Dewman

Post by Dewman »

I had put on hold wet tumbling for some time.

But a new dual drum rotary tumbler from Harbor freight showed up for X-mas. I will give it a try tonight with the pins I bought.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my dry vibrator. My case's never come out as clean as the ones Bob shows in his picture.
Allways remember when in combat your weapon was made by the lowest bidder