Suggest powder for .223Rem

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

GlockMan27

Re: Suggest powder for .223Rem

Post by GlockMan27 »

Once you get a load worked up please update us. I'm curious what you'll end up with for a 62gr. Please include what components you'll use. I've yet to chrono any 62gr.
mreising

Post by mreising »

I've been happy with Varget for most of my 223 loads, even with heavy bullets. I have been able to keep enough of it on hand to satisfy my loading needs.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

mreising wrote:I've been happy with Varget for most of my 223 loads, even with heavy bullets. I have been able to keep enough of it on hand to satisfy my loading needs.
I also like Varget. The problem I have with Varget though is it doesn't measure well in my Dillon powder measure since it is an extruded powder. I have to hand measure it which obviously takes much more time.
mreising

Post by mreising »

GlockMan27 wrote:
mreising wrote:I've been happy with Varget for most of my 223 loads, even with heavy bullets. I have been able to keep enough of it on hand to satisfy my loading needs.
I also like Varget. The problem I have with Varget though is it doesn't measure well in my Dillon powder measure since it is an extruded powder. I have to hand measure it which obviously takes much more time.
I was using a Lee Perfect measure when I was loading a lot of 223 with Varget and ALWAYS trickled up to the full charge weight; partly because the powder did not measure as well as spherical powders and, more importantly, because I was at maximum with my loads. If I start using my progressive press, I will probably look at other powders if I don't get the consistency I need. At least Varget is a relatively short extruded powder so it measures fairly well.

As to the others comments about reloading manuals: YES, you need them in several flavors, along with the manufacturers internet data.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

mreising wrote:As to the others comments about reloading manuals: YES, you need them in several flavors, along with the manufacturers internet data.
I have four (4) reloading manuals. All address .223 Rem (only one has anything on .300 AAC BLK).
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
mreising

Post by mreising »

Morne wrote:
mreising wrote:As to the others comments about reloading manuals: YES, you need them in several flavors, along with the manufacturers internet data.
I have four (4) reloading manuals. All address .223 Rem (only one has anything on .300 AAC BLK).
Oops! I think I intended that comment in another thread :oops: . I forgot which one I was responding to.

Mark
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Morne wrote:
Several links to loading data for 300 aac blk on 300blktalk forum. http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been using IMR 4198 in my .223 40 grain varmint loads. http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/223 ... 5mar28.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also have IMR 4895 on hand. between the two powders they cover most of my rifle loads.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

GlockMan27 wrote:Once you get a load worked up please update us. I'm curious what you'll end up with for a 62gr. Please include what components you'll use. I've yet to chrono any 62gr.
***CHRONY DATA***

66 Degrees F, 89% Relative Humidity, 29.86" Hg

.223 Remington 62-gr SS-109 FMJ, CCI-41 SRP, H-335 powder, 2.236-2.256" COAL
AR-15 Rifle with 16" barrel
Grains of Powder:____________Average Velocity:
23.0________________________2692
23.5________________________2752
24.1________________________2845
24.5________________________2801

This is a LOT faster than H-322 ever got for me. Of course, now 62-gr SS109 FMJ is up in price. :evil: Still, I see via ammoseek.com that you can buy Armscor or Prvi FMJ 62-gr slugs for 8-12 cents per round.

Compare this to some 62-gr Silver Bear and Privi Partizan factory ammo I tested in this barrel length with 2832 and 2894 FPS average speeds, respectively. Now we are MUCH CLOSER to simulating factory ammo.

The quirky thing is that the velocity DECREASED when powder charge went up from 24.1 to 24.5 grains. That's not the first time I have seen this happen as I have a couple of .300 AAC BLK loads that also have a maximum velocity that is below the maximum powder charge. Can someone explain this phenomenon? I've never seen this in pistol ammo, just rifle ammo. Frequently you'll see a lower than max powder charge be more desirable because it gives better accuracy, of course.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Glock 'n load

Post by Glock 'n load »

Also good success with H335 and IMR4198. H335 is listed (at a higher charge rate) for 762x39 rifles. I'm looking to try Varget next time around. Caveat on the 4198, some say it's not recommended for heavier bullets like 62 grain.