.45ACP Chrono XD-Tactical vs. XDS

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

.45ACP Chrono XD-Tactical vs. XDS

Post by Morne »

So the weather looked good this morning, and other things had me irritated, so I opted for chrony therapy. :mrgreen:

Took my Springfield Armory XD-Tactical 5.25" barrel pistol and my XDS 3.3" barrel pistol, both chambered in .45ACP, out to run some rounds through the chrono. Five (5) factory ammo flavors accompanied me - Winchester 185-gr STHP, Remington 230-gr GSHP, Remington 230-gr MC, Speer 230-gr GDHP and Buffalo Bore 230-gr +P JHP.

Meteorological data was 33 degrees Fahrenheit, 65% relative humidity and 30.69" Hg.

Velocity date in feet per second, mean average after discarding the highest and lowest data point for each string, as follows:

Barrel Length..................3.3"..................5.25"
WIN185STHP...................823.3................927.2
REM230GSHP...................776.4...............865.0
REM230MC......................729.0...............817.4
SPEER230GDHP................738.4...............835.5
BUFFALO203+PJHP............864.5...............961.1

As you can see, there is a 90-100 fps debit to go from the 5.25" barrel of the Tactical model to the 3.3" barrel of the XDS. I find it interesting that the 230-gr Buffalo Bore +P ammo is faster than the Winchester 185-gr ammo.

Only malfunction was operator induced. While shooting the Buffalo Bore out of the XDS I tried to rip the 5-round magazine out of the magwell with my pinky finger. Fortunately I noticed this when it happened. I daresay the awesome blast and recoil of the BB ammo contributed to my attempting to strangle the XDS, and thus putting my thumb too close to the mag release button, for when the second round of it went off. Certainly my fault, but it also reinforces my general disdain for semi-autos. I've never had a revolver cylinder come open during a string of fire and I have shot some hot-tamales out of some very lightweight wheelies.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: .45ACP Chrono XD-Tactical vs. XDS

Post by Mr. Glock »

I had a lightweight wheel gun start skipping cylinders without dropping the hammer.....pull triggers, cylinder goes, no bang...pull trigger again, cylinder goes around and bang. Not nearly as common as operator-induced semi-auto error, but harder to fix quickly. That gun (scandium/titanium) had to go back to S&W.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member