Tumbling .22s

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BillytheKidder

Tumbling .22s

Post by BillytheKidder »

Not sure if this is the right section, but don't know where else to ask.

Is it safe to put live .22 LR ammunition in a case tumbler with crushed walnuts? I have 1000 or so, somewhat dirty/corroded Golden Remington's. They ship in a bucket, I can't imagine a tumbler would be any worse.
Proudly causing more problems than I solve, since 1950.
Brian D.

Re: Tumbling .22s

Post by Brian D. »

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Thinking as much about bullets coming loose from their crimp, as much as the tumbling and other movement setting off the rimfire primers..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BobK

Post by BobK »

I would not hesitate to do so. I tumble loaded centerfire rounds all the time. A primer is a primer, and I would not worry about it going off.

If if one did go off, it certainly isn't going to harm anything. A loose round going off does not have the danger of a chambered round.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

My biggest concerns would be loosening the bullet (remember, these are heeled bullets) as well as removing any lube from the bullet. Loosening probably isn't much of a concern, really, but still I think I'd do a small batch and examine them and do a few range tests before doing them all. If these are jacketed/copper washed then no lube worries, but I would not do this with lead bullets.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BobK wrote:I would not hesitate to do so. I tumble loaded centerfire rounds all the time.
Bob, why do you tumble loaded rounds? I was always happy with cleaning the empty brass in a tumbler and proceed to reload them. They still seemed acceptably bright and shiny at that point.

********************************************************************************
BobK

Post by BobK »

Brian D. wrote:
BobK wrote:I would not hesitate to do so. I tumble loaded centerfire rounds all the time.
Bob, why do you tumble loaded rounds? I was always happy with cleaning the empty brass in a tumbler and proceed to reload them. They still seemed acceptably bright and shiny at that point.
Because I suffer from OCD . . . I guess?

Actually, back when I used the Lee Alox tumble lube process for my case bullets, tumbling the finished ammo would give a nice look to the cast bullets and remove any stickiness.

Now that I use a lubrizer, I really don't have to re-tumble so much unless I don't like the way they look.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

ive tumbled .22's before to clean them up .. no harm no foul so long as they are jacketed bullets , naked lead and you remove the lube as mentioned above .
BillytheKidder

Post by BillytheKidder »

Thanks for the input. I tried it and it seemed to have worked, bullets don't seem any more loose than normal for bulk ammo. We'll see how they shoot.
Proudly causing more problems than I solve, since 1950.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Out of curiosity, is there any danger of the powder being tumbled over a long period of time maybe changing it's shape, becoming finer and possibly changing the pressure characteristics/burn speed?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Klingon00 wrote:Out of curiosity, is there any danger of the powder being tumbled over a long period of time maybe changing it's shape, becoming finer and possibly changing the pressure characteristics/burn speed?
I've always wondered about that too. Closest experience I have was during a weeklong shoot held way out in the country, the last several miles to and from the range each day were VERY bumpy. By the last couple of days my .45 acp bowling pin loads had seemed to have lost some power. Chronographed some when I got home and confirmed that something had degraded them almost 100 feet per second, and it wasn't hot, cold, or humid weather.

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

If the lead has developed a white oxidized coating, you might have issues if you are using them in a semi-auto. My Dad had a batch of ancient .22's like that, and he also tumbled them. They still wouldn''t chamber properly in his Ruger MkII. IDK for sure, but the bullet may swell in diameter if the oxidation penetrates subsurface.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Klingon00 wrote:Out of curiosity, is there any danger of the powder being tumbled over a long period of time maybe changing it's shape, becoming finer and possibly changing the pressure characteristics/burn speed?
I've seen studies posted on TheHighRoad where they tumbled loaded ammo for ridiculous amounts of time (12-24-48 hours!) and then broke down some ammo and measured particle size, finding no difference. The same studies measured velocity and found no statistically valid differences.

I've seen people try to argue about military ammo being transported thousands of miles in bumpy trucks, but frankly, I do not think those analogies are valid. The vibration profile of a bumpy truck is totally different from the vibration profile of tumbled ammo.

I have never worried about moderate tumbling of 30 to 120 minutes.

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Most of the military ammo I've handled had 100% loading density. There was no airspace inside the case, and the powder could not roll around in the case - no matter how bumpy or long the rides were.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!