Thick Brass

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dewman

Thick Brass

Post by Dewman »

Over the last few day I had time to load up some 380 ACP. A little range fodder for my CZ 83.

Had loaded about 250 with Winchester brass and all was good. Then I picked up a bag that had only CBC brass in it. Frist round was a little tough to get bullet to sit on the top. When I seated it I could feel a little more resistance than normal. I use the 4 die set from LEE and seat with one and crimp with the other. When I went to crimp "Crunch" brass came out with scratches all over it. I thought maybe I had not gotten the bullet to sit square on the brass. So I tried another same thing.

So I try it one step at a time. I notice I'm not getting any flare on the powder thru die. That gets adjusted down as far as it will go and still not enough flare to get the bullet to sit square on the brass. Then holding the bullet on top of the brass I guide it into the seating die. Same more resistance than normal and the crimp die still that same "crunch'.

Ok so take apart all my dies and clean them. Reset every thing and still the same.

I then take a Federal brass and run it thru no problem good looking bullet.
As I was looking at the difference between the CBC and Federal I notice that one looks thicker than the other.

So I took a few measurements and the CBC was running .0105 ~ .011 and the Federal was running .075 ~.080 as close as I can get it.

http://1drv.ms/1plKlVQ

CBC on left and Federal on right

I'm thinking this brass goes into the coffee can to be recycled.
Allways remember when in combat your weapon was made by the lowest bidder
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Thick Brass

Post by JustaShooter »

I haven't run into that with CBC brass for other calibers but it sure seems to be the most likely cause of your issues.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

Pretty common problem with .380 brass .. i have a bunch of starline that is thicker as well .
The best cure for this is to use an m die .. even more important if you are using cast bullets .
Dewman

Post by Dewman »

Yes I need to look into a M die since cast bullets are dropping in price. For a while there I could get plated sent to my front door for less than I paid for cast.
Allways remember when in combat your weapon was made by the lowest bidder
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Thicker, stronger brass is not a bad thing. Set it aside, you may need to adjust your loading method to use it, but CBC/magtech brass is good stuff.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.