When to trim rifle brass

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: When to trim rifle brass

Post by WY_Not »

Late to the party as usual...

For me I tend to be a bit OCD about doing things consistently. Every piece of brass gets trimmed. I'm on two RCBS Rockchuckers so it is already a long, slow process. But I don't mind the extra time as I find sitting and working at my reloading bench a relaxing and enjoyable endeavor.

For my hunting ammo, I tend to go even more overboard on the details. Brass is sorted by manufacturer. Brass is resized and trimmed. Every primer pocket is cleaned and the flashhole trimmed. Everything is tumbled and cleaned. Every powder load is weighed and trickled to be exact. Etc. Etc. All this is done on two RCBS Rockchuckers; one with the resizing die and one with the seating/crimping die. This way I can run a small lot, test fire, and if all is good continue the run without resetting dies. Lots of work for a few hundred rounds. But, the end product will shoot just under 1moa from my rifle. It probably shoots better than that but that is dependent on the nut behind the butt. It is a load that has been worked up specifically for my rifle. In another? Who knows how it will shoot. As I said, it works for me and has taken a fair number of mule deer and pronghorn on our annual trips to Wyoming.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.