can't find what I'm used to using, open for suggestions

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

2/327

can't find what I'm used to using, open for suggestions

Post by 2/327 »

I usually.buy Winchester 321 for.my 9 and 38 reloading, I only have a few flakes left and.I have been all over the Miami valley looking and calling everywhere. Nothing. I have been using CCI MAGNUMS (couldn't find 500s). Does any one know.an alternative and a local place to bellbrook where I might be able to pick it up. Thanks
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: can't find what I'm used to using, open for suggestions

Post by JustaShooter »

There are a lot of alternate powders for those two cartridges. I use Unique and Bullseye (yeah, I'm a bit old-school) but there certainly are others. Check your reloading manual(s) and see what they show and take the list with you the next time you go powder hunting.

FWIW, I keep a reloading supplies inventory on my phone so I whenever I'm out at a gun shop I can check and see what is available and at a good price that I need / could use more of so I can keep a reserve stocked up.

I also have been known to look up powders in the reloading manuals right there at the store using their own books... :mrgreen:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Hodgdon HP38 is a good substitute for Winchester 231 -- if you can find it.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

2/327:

Same problem here....

Win's WSF and WST seem to work fairly well, and there are published loads for those, too, although I'm not sure about those calibers. I did some WSF in .40S&W that was fine until I cut the load back a little too far.

WSF seems to call for about a grain more powder than you need for .40 or .45ACP for short range (under 40') paper-punching. YMMV.... The hotter load doesn't seem to be excessive, but you can feel it :D....

I couldn't find any WSF or WST the other week - the dealer had some "Herco", which ought to work (Alliant, now). Nothing on their web site for .40 S&W, but I have some test loads for that - I'm hoping to get out to the range for a couple minutes this afternoon and see how they work.

(I've only been reloading for a couple years. I've been able to scrounge powder, though, but not 321....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
2/327

Post by 2/327 »

I have been using my dad" recipes" for 9 or 10 years. Never had to change them, they worked, stuff was everywhere. I think it because we moved and no local gun shops even carry reloading supplies. (Bellbrook-Centerville area) but I have not driven back to all of the old places I used to buy from.
I'll have to get on the web and look up load data for 38 and 9 using different powders, I don't even own a load data book!! Tha.is for the replies.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

2/327:

Probably worth the drive :D....

(The Herco worked - 5.2gr, 155gr lead round nose. 5.0gr wasn't enough to reliably operate the gun.)

You can generally get info on the web. "Hogden", for example, has 321, WST, and WSF for most calibers and bullet types/weights.

'Course, you need a computer :D....

My "reloading for dummies" rule involves finding the recommended minimum load for a given powder and projectile (and caliber), and then subtracting about 0.02gr from that, for a first try. If it's not hot enough, you can kick it up in small increments. If it's too hot, you should still be very close - well below "dangerous" - and can back off a bit. Maybe just lucky, but both .40 and .45, in several different powders and projectiles have come out close enough for me over the last year and a half.

'Course, I'm not trying to blow up large trucks, or punch through quarter-inch steel backstops here. Just more or less flat-shooting target loads.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
YoteHuntr

Post by YoteHuntr »

I know this thread is a couple of months old now but, Old English has HP 38 in stock (as of August 25th).

I bought a one pound jug for $23.
U.S.A.F. Retired (1974-1998)
NRA Endowment Life Member
OFCC Member
USCCA Member
Handloader 34 years
EDC Gun: Ruger LC9s, SR9c and/or LCP

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

I was at the Ashland Fin last Saturday. CCI small pistol primers (500) were on sale for $24/box of 1000 (one box limit). They also had WST in 1 & 8lb containers. Also seemed to have reasonable supplies of Red Dot, Blue Dot, Power Pistol, Bullseye and Unique although sometimes only in 1lb containers. Sad to say that I took 4 of the last 5 lbs of TiteGroup.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers