40 S&W SWC Load Data

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Myhl

40 S&W SWC Load Data

Post by Myhl »

I have some HiSkor 800x, read some of the entries of how temperamental the powder can be. But I have it and plan to use it up.....with the State of the country. So does anyone have any load data for 155g Lead SWC, using the 800X. I have loaded 6.8g as a start and some 7.2g.....have not tested them out.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 40 S&W SWC Load Data

Post by JustaShooter »

Since IMR's current loading data online (http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) does not list 800x as a suitable powder for anything other than 200gr projectiles, I wouldn't use it unless I had another published source. Where did you come up with your 6.8 and 7.2gr loads?

(BTW, once I'm home I can look it up in my Lyman and other manuals and see if they list anything.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I would say, generally speaking, that not a lot of folks are running cast lead slugs in .40 S&W. Not that you shouldn't, more simply that you are undertaking something that a slew of folks won't have a lot of hands-on experience with. I dabbled in cast lead in .40 S&W somewhat recently, but was running all 180 grain bullets.

IMR-800X's reputation... I wouldn't describe so much as "temperamental" in the sense that it gives odd pressure spikes or the like... it seems to be a very linear and predictable powder in that manner. The problem with this stuff is that conventional tools simply do -NOT- meter it well. It's been the experience of most that if you don't either have an automated powder dispenser paired with an electronic scale... or you are willing to hand-dip/trickle the powder and weigh each and every single charge..., you are going to have problems working with IMR-800X. So please keep that in mind if you haven't yet played with this chunky stuff at your load bench.

With all that said, I've got the Lyman 49th in front of me and it lists an 8.0 grain -MAX- charge for either a 155gr cast LSWC or a 155gr Winchester Silvertip slug.

Conventional methods suggest that starting at 10% under max is a fine place to start, that would be 7.2 grains.
But I have it and plan to use it up.....with the State of the country.
I get it, and I know the shelves are bare and the market is a royal pain in the keister right now, but I'd be trying something else if I were in your position. My biggest reason is simply because I always hold out hope that the next load I concoct might be the "next greatest thing I've ever come up with..." and I would have nightmares if I built a phenomenal load... using THAT powder and even later considering the idea of buying more of that crap. :P
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Sevens wrote:I would say, generally speaking, that not a lot of folks are running cast lead slugs in .40 S&W. Not that you shouldn't, more simply that you are undertaking something that a slew of folks won't have a lot of hands-on experience with. I dabbled in cast lead in .40 S&W somewhat recently, but was running all 180 grain bullets.
I've cast and loaded I don't know how many thousands of .40 S&W LSWC'ers in either 175 gr or 180 gr weights. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I shot jacketed bullets through my M&P. I have zero problems running lead bullets in this caliber.

However, I've never used this powder, so I have nothing to offer there.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Myhl

Post by Myhl »

Lyman has a LSWC 150g with 800X, with a suggested starting point of 6.8g and a max of 8g. That is what I based my loads. But I'm interested in your opinions?
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

I dont load any 40 s-w ... bit my lyman cast bullet manual shows the same load data
Load and shoot em i say .

For what its worth 800x doesnt meter all that badly threw my lyman 55
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

stephen45-70 wrote:For what its worth 800x doesnt meter all that badly threw my lyman 55
Hmmmm, at what charge weights?!

I love my Lyman 55. LOVE IT! It's the one tool I would grab before all others at my load bench if the moon were falling on top of my house.
I love my Lyman 55.

My Lyman 55 will NOT meter IMR-800X at 7.0 to 8.0 grains charge weight in any manner that satisfies me as anything but recklessly erratic. :cry:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

Well come to think of it ... i dont think i ever used it with that small of a charge
Within the 18-25 grain charges i have used it in my 55 it meters pretty decent
Within about 3 tenths .
But i also havent ever held any powder measure to a real high standard .

I have also added a baffle ... i imagine you jave as well

I doubt it makes any real differance but my lyman 55 is an older black powder version
It has a brass sleeve around the drum/roter ... and the drum is brass as well .

Im sure many will argue this... but excepting the flake powders the little lee perfect powder measure has been
The most accurate measure ive used
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I haven't added a baffle... mostly because I don't have one laying around, I don't care to fashion one from an empty soda can and because I've found that my methods make one redundant and/or unnecessary for my particular needs. I suppose that if I did have one, I'd probably stuff it in there! :)

I would also say that personally... I won't tolerate three-tenths of a grain variance at my bench, but I wouldn't even begin to suggest that it's in issue in large volume/rifle handloading, of which I do very little. Simple math tells us that three-tenths does mean much more in my "planned" 4.3gr charge than it will in my 13.7gr charge, but I still won't accept that variance simply because it doesn't feel "right" to me.

I did use the Lee Perfect for a short bit, but I didn't use it very long. Wasn't so much that it wasn't performing -- more so, I found a nice deal on a Hornady measure and I was so enamored with it, the Lee got stuffed in to a box. These days, the common complaint I will hear about the Lee Perfect measure is that some VERY fine powders tend to want to leak from it (think Accurate ball powders, AA#2, AA#7, etc) but otherwise, it performs well. My opinion of the Lee Perfect measure is that if you simply can't spend the (significantly) more money on a Lyman or Hornady or RCBS, the Lee Perfect does one HECKUVA great task for very low cash investment. You just cannot hand-weigh or trickle charges at the rate you can meter them from a measure that works.

With that said... there are still some dedicated powder dipper folks who simply don't care what ya think. Now I spent a couple of years doing the dipper thing and I certainly did a good share of great shooting because of my "so cheap they're nearly free" powder dippers, but I prefer the flexibility of something I can change incrementally. But if you've never done some time with powder dippers, do not discount (at all!) how consistent these simple devices can be if you build a solid, repeatable routine.

Actually, a powder dipper might be the best way to get rid of IMR-800X. :lol:
Myhl

Post by Myhl »

I am reloading with an xl 650 anyone loading 800x with this machine
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

I use dippers quite often ... a pretty fair portion of what i load is the exact same load every time
And dippers are very fast to use ... and like you say .. very acurate once you establish a routine .

With few exceptions almost everything i load with smokeless is what i consider plinking ammo
Not that i dont make the very best ammo i can .. i just dont sweat the small stuff like i do my black powder
Match ammo ... and what i go threw to load it would drive most hand loaders bat crap crazy .

I cant shoot good enougj to see a differance in 3 tenths of a grain in a rifle load .
Even in handguns almost every thing i shoot .. 3 tenths isnt but a tiny drop in the bucket .
With a powder measure ... 2 tenths is what i aim to keep my loads at ..

I can do better with a dipper