Reloading bench cleanliness methods

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Reloading bench cleanliness methods

Post by Morne »

One thing I've learned already, you can make quite a mess while reloading!

What's the best and safest way to clean up a little bit of spilled powder? With all the dry, static laden air I am hesitant to just grab the dust buster and suck it up... :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Reloading bench cleanliness methods

Post by JustaShooter »

Morne wrote:One thing I've learned already, you can make quite a mess while reloading!

What's the best and safest way to clean up a little bit of spilled powder? With all the dry, static laden air I am hesitant to just grab the dust buster and suck it up... :idea:
Do *not* use a vacuum to clean up powder spills. Not only are there static concerns, some motors are a bit "sparky". I've heard (urban legend warning) of it causing a fire and it just makes sense to avoid the possibility.

I use a small whisk broom & dustpan, and then dump the powder on the garden (supposed to be a good fertilizer, though I've never spilled enough to be able to confirm that).

So, by corollary, don't reload in an area with a carpet so you can sweep the floor rather than vacuum it. Besides, as many spent primers as I've had escape while decapping I can't imagine the racket vacuuming those up would cause. :shock:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I usually use a 3x5 index card to sweep it up onto a piece of paper or paper cup and discard that. There may not be much risk of an explosion with smokeless powder in the open but it sure is flammable!
Ring

Post by Ring »

shop vac.... motor and parts not not a issue with powder or primers...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ring wrote:shop vac.... motor and parts not not a issue with powder or primers...
My Shop Vac cautions me against using it with flammable liquids and combustible materials. I wouldn't worry about spent primers but I don't think I'd want to vac up spilled powder.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

I wipe up with a damp paper towel.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Klingon00 wrote:I usually use a 3x5 index card to sweep it up onto a piece of paper or paper cup and discard that. There may not be much risk of an explosion with smokeless powder in the open but it sure is flammable!
Hmmm.. can you expound on that. I can speak to rubbing alcohol, but not this.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
techgebhardt

Post by techgebhardt »

I usually just use my hand and dump into the spent primer waste basket. There is usually not much spilled powder, but a few fragments from my Lee press.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

Fight organized crime: Re-elect no one..
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Dust pan?

Just how much powder are you still spilling? :lol:

I use a 1 inch paint brush and it helps getting into all the nooks and crannies of the press.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

I just light it up with the embers of my cigar I usually smoke next to the fire place my bench is next to LOL!

I use a damp paper towel if I spill much, other wise I just brush it off into my hand like Steve said.
-Aaron
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Fox tail brush and a mini dustpan. I put unusable powder into a medicine bottle, it is labeled in big black letters "SCRAP POWDER DO NOT LOAD" and when it starts looking full I put it in the fireplace or dump it on the rosebush.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 »

I have no good advice for a clean bench ... mine looks like a herd of swine took up living on it

But i can give some good advice towards live primers .. live primers and vacumn cleanrrs are not a good mix

I was sitting on the couch one night using my lee hand primer .. i axidently spilled
A whole tray of primers in the carpet ... it was late and being a s i live alone i figured thet would wait till tomarow
The next morning my girl friend came over to do some cleaning .... including vacuming

Acording to her ... she didnt have the vacumn on for even a minute when she hit th e primers .
I guess it sounded like a machine gun going off ... i found the remains of about 70 primers that went off
And 30 that didnt ..... didnt hurt the vacumn at all .... she never used it again
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Nothing personal, so please, don't anyone take it that way...
But it's always made me laugh in handloading discussion forums, this whole priming OFF the press. Handloaders will talk endlessly about safety, cardinal rules, and how important all of it is to make good ammo and maintain a safe operation and environment.

And yet, so many like to prime OFF the press, usually in front of the idiot box with mindless TV running or movies.

Primers in the couch, in the carpet, and all over the area that 98% of people eat & drink in every day. Primers -- the -ONE- tiny little part of the operation that explodes.

I don't happen to own a hand priming unit made by any company. I can definitely see the draw to them, but I also can't imagine much (if any?) situation where I myself would prime brass with a hand-held unit and NOT be drawn to watching something like TV or movies.

I started priming on a single stage press with a ram-prime, and now I do all my priming on a progressive press. I still have no method and no tools for priming away from the bench.

I definitely do sort brass in front of the TV.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Sevens wrote:I started priming on a single stage press with a ram-prime, and now I do all my priming on a progressive press. I still have no method and no tools for priming away from the bench.

I definitely do sort brass in front of the TV.
Likewise, on both counts. Anything related to loading (other than sorting brass) happens in a room without a TV and it it arranged such that distractions are minimized as much as possible.
NRA Life Member

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I vacuum it up. I figure with the small amount of powder and other dust in the vacumm cleaner the chances of anything are mimimal. I also only use bag vacs so the powder isn't "spinning" around inside a container. If one is talking a large quantity, I'd be hesitant on a vacuum.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.