Bullet Puller pulled a bullet right out of its jacket

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Bullet Puller pulled a bullet right out of its jacket

Post by Morne »

So I'm slowly becoming proficient with each discrete step of reloading. I've tumbled brass, decapped, reprimed, flared brass and am just about ready to start charging cases. I figured this was a good time to learn how to disassemble a cartridge so that when (not if) I make a mistake I already am good at undoing it. Thus, I got my brand new bullet puller out of the packaging and started going after some factory cartridges that had been set aside for various reasons. On my second pick, I managed to pull the bullet right out of its jacket! See below pic:

To the best of my knowledge this is a Remington Golden Saber JHP, definitely in .45 ACP. I am decidedly unimpressed with its ability to retain its jacket!!! :shock: Sure, I'm a big/strong guy and all that, but I just don't think that I should've been able to rip the slug out of its own jacket. Call me funny.

Anybody else ever manage this trick? :?:

Afterwards I pulled several more without anything odd happening. Ended my bullet pulling session with a Buffalo Bore .38 Special that wouldn't chamber due to a too aggressive crimp. No matter how hard I whacked that puppy it was NOT coming apart! :evil:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
mreising

Re: Bullet Puller pulled a bullet right out of its jacket

Post by mreising »

Cool pic. The bullet looks like it is pre-rifled :) . Get (borrow) a collet type bullet puller to pull the heavy crimp one. The screw the puller into your press, put ammo in the shell holder, raise the ram until the collet grips the bullet (some of them have a screw handle you turn to grip the bullet) and it should be pulled when you lower the ram. That case may be toast if the crimp was that bad.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Morne wrote: Sure, I'm a big/strong guy and all that,
You ain't that big....................anymore. :P
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Golden sabers are notorious for shedding their jacket..I have a 102gr .380 projectile laying around here somewhere that I recovered after testing..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Do you have a picture of your "bullet puller"?

Is it one of those plastic hammer-like devices?
MyWifeSaidYes
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Do you have a picture of your "bullet puller"?

Yup, like this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215517 ... let-puller
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

mreising

Post by mreising »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Do you have a picture of your "bullet puller"?

It is an inertial puller, you can tell because the case, with the intact jacket, is still in the collet that holds the cartridge in the head of the "hammer".
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Morne:

I expect that the round saw you first, and was so scared that the jacket tried to run away.... :mrgreen:

I've never managed that, but it wouldn't surprise me - I have the same type of puller. Works fine for taking apart my reloads. I don't need it too often anymore (after a bit more than a year), but I still get an inverted or missing primer once in a while. The former have to be disassembled or trashed, and you can't just stick a primer into the pocket because the powder may have already dribbled out all over everything.

(I tried putting in another primer. Found a good way to make sqibs :D....)

You definitely need a puller, and a case tumbler and a separator (for getting the media out of the cleaned cases). I've found that dryer sheets (can't remember the brand) make a decent cleaner/lubricant add-in to the media, although there are some products made for reloaders that probably work better.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I did the same thing once but with a (supposedly?) lower quality bullet, I yanked a lead core from a .358" 158gr Zero JSP. In fact, I still have the handloaded cartridge with only a bullet jacket crimped (firmly!) in place. Not sure it would function well as a "blank" but I dunno.

I mentioned the experience in passing in a discussion thread on another forum and a different guy posted a number of pictures of the same thing, including one from a (much respected!) Hornady XTP.

So, yeah, it certainly does happen.

You may find (you SHOULD find...?!) that you won't succeed in repeating the feat with any high-buck defense ammo that is advertised as "BONDED" as it seems to be that "BONDED" is their new commercial buzzword for "thick electroplating." A Speer Gold Dot, for example, should not be able to separate with heavy whacks from an inertial bullet puller.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

What do you guys do with factory primed brass?
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

BobK

Post by BobK »

Morne wrote:What do you guys do with factory primed brass?
If it hasn't been fired and is still primed, then it is ready to be reloaded.

If the case is damaged and you do not want to reload it, then put the case in a pistol and shoot the primer/empty case. It is kind of loud in the house, so put your eyes/ears on.

If you do not want to fire the primer, then simply deprime the case. It seems kind of tense depriming a live case, but after you do it a few times and realize it does not fire, you can relax. Since I usually prefer to avoid a live primer dropping down inside my press, I usually deprime by using an ordinary socket from my socket wrench kit that will fit my case. I sit the socket on my workbench, drive side down. Then I use a spare decapping pin and tap it out by hand. That works fine.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I have dealt with factory primed brass on only a RARE few occasions. As I am mostly a handgun loader, I definitely do not tend to buy new factory brass. However, I have done small bits of these in the past (chasing down rare .327 Federal brass) and I simply give the case mouths a light flare and load from there.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
techgebhardt

Post by techgebhardt »

I have 2 cases where my primer did not go in flush and is tilted. I will have to give this a try.
BobK wrote: I usually deprime by using an ordinary socket from my socket wrench kit that will fit my case. I sit the socket on my workbench, drive side down. Then I use a spare decapping pin and tap it out by hand. That works fine.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

Fight organized crime: Re-elect no one..
BigBill

Post by BigBill »

If the bullet had been 'sealed' by the factory when assembled, you can break that seal by seating it a bit deeper, then pulling the bullet.
This applies to rifle and pistol ammo.

The slug was not 'rifled' in manufacturing.
In the photo - the 'rifling' in the slug was cut by the jacket when the slug slid out.
Note the expansion cuts in the jacket mouth - the left edge is curled over.
If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

BigBill wrote:If the bullet had been 'sealed' by the factory when assembled, you can break that seal by seating it a bit deeper, then pulling the bullet.
This applies to rifle and pistol ammo.

The slug was not 'rifled' in manufacturing.
In the photo - the 'rifling' in the slug was cut by the jacket when the slug slid out.
Note the expansion cuts in the jacket mouth - the left edge is curled over.
Probably what happened to this round. IIRC this was one that didn't feed right in my .45 ACP AR and got seated back as a result. That's why I set it aside. In the picture above you can see another one of these shortened victims as well as one that has the bullet slightly pulled out longer from being the sixth round after firing five shots out of my S&W 325 revolver.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.