Bullet Puller pulled a bullet right out of its jacket

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mreising

Re: Bullet Puller pulled a bullet right out of its jacket

Post by mreising »

BigBill wrote:
The slug was not 'rifled' in manufacturing.
In the photo - the 'rifling' in the slug was cut by the jacket when the slug slid out.
Note the expansion cuts in the jacket mouth - the left edge is curled over.
I know that, that was why I put the smiley after the statement that it looked like that, not that it was actually rifled.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
SweetWilliam

Post by SweetWilliam »

It's hard to believe that happened. I wouldn't think you could get a crimp tight enough on a 45acp to have that happen. Especially with no crimp groove.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Nothing surprises me when JHP's are involved. I've tested them in phone books and seen just about every kind of scenario - some behave just like FMJ's and don't expand one bit - some the jacket slips right off and opens up while the core penetrates without much deformation - a few work flawlessly. I guess that's why I'm a big fan of hardcast, wide meplat projectiles.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
SweetWilliam

Post by SweetWilliam »

glocksmith wrote:Nothing surprises me when JHP's are involved. I've tested them in phone books and seen just about every kind of scenario - some behave just like FMJ's and don't expand one bit - some the jacket slips right off and opens up while the core penetrates without much deformation - a few work flawlessly. I guess that's why I'm a big fan of hardcast, wide meplat projectiles.
Yea but your talking about jacket seperation on fired rounds not from a bullet puller. Totally different comparison.