The Economics of Reloading

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

The Economics of Reloading

Post by Klingon00 »

For those new to reloading, I found this article to be a nice introduction to how to calculate savings per round. Of course savings is a relative term, since we all know we just end up shooting more. :wink:

http://thearmsguide.com/6207/reloading- ... reloading/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cost of producing a reloaded round will vary enormously, depending on many factors, in particular the country in which you live. Local costs of manufacture, import costs and taxes on reloading components all vary. For this article I will use the “typical” costs I experience. The basic cost formulas should work for most everybody, but you may need to do some additional research and plug in your own values, depending on where you live.

There are 4 significant costs to reloading a round of centre-fire ammunition, namely:

The projectile (usually the biggest cost).
The primer.
The gunpowder.
The case (based on multiple uses of the same case).
Total Cost = Projectile + Primer + Powder + Case
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: The Economics of Reloading

Post by evan price »

Got to figure in the time. I pay myself $200/hr as a Reloading Technician. That means that my ammo costs roughly 3x factory ammo. :lol:
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

There is that. :lol:
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Hm....

The idea of anybody paying Evan $200/hour for anything legal.... :mrgreen:

Multiple factors, I think....

If you're doing extreme accuracy shooting, where everything is finely tuned to the weapon (usually a rifle), and repeatability is desired, it may be a good idea. Cost is irrelevant, I suppose, but it may turn out to be a little cheaper.

If you're loading up to punch paper at the range, or do SD drills, or blow up bowling pins, there's still the potential for a small per-round savings, IMHO, but I probably won't live long enough to really pay back the Dillon.

(I definitely won't if the wife finds out how much that thing cost :D.)

However, it does while away some time, and you feel a lot better about blowing away $0.20-ish per round ammunition than the stuff that's closer to a half a buck these days. You can, of course, judiciously buy reloads and may save enough money to come close to doing your own....

I'm semi (mostly) retired, so time's not really an issue if the menagerie aren't pestering me. I wouldn't say my time is worthless, but an hour a week stays ahead of my range needs. I'd just be watching "Dr. Who" or something....

Mostly, maybe, more toys....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

When you read that article, keep in mind that the author is Australian, so the prices he's attached to some things seems a bit off.
Not as far off as I might have expected them to be, however.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Did the math a few months ago and for me it came out to about $7-8 for a box of 50rds of any of the calibers I reload. Pistol only and that's 9mm, .40S&W, .38Special, .45ACP. I assume I'll recover all the brass so it's probably a little more. But outside of lost brass matches, I work very hard to recover as much as possible. Even then sometimes people surprise me and pick up and return my brass. Has only happened though when shooting something unusual like 10mm. Even then I buy range pickups and such and look for the best prices. When I started reloading I was shooting 500-1,000rds a month working on improving splits, etc. for IDPA. Can't afford quite as much these days but still like to get in at least 300-500rds a month. As such, the reloading equipment paid for itself in a few months.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Nice cost calculator can be found here:

http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
BobK

Post by BobK »

My cost for various pistol calibers is between $3.00 to $4.00 per hundred.

Since I cast my own bullets, and do not need to purchase brass, my costs are limited to primer and powder.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

You can save money by reloading? I just spend the same and shoot more!
-Aaron
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Imcrazy wrote:You can save money by reloading? I just spend the same and shoot more!
That is the biggest downfall to reloading.

I love shooting my 300 Win Mag and can reload it for 75 cents a round to better standards than the $4 rounds. So, what do I do....I shoot it more. :roll:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Jedi, you're either going to need a crash course in common sense or we'll have to give you the remedial course in smiley usage. :P
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
GT350

Post by GT350 »

Just started reloading a month ago and since I've saved most of my brass over the last year I can reload 9mm for 14c/round, 45acp for 19c/round, and 223 for 22c/round. Could save a little more but can't find large jugs of Power Pistol powder and use plated bullets. I don't really shoot anymore than I did before reloading but feel a little better knowing it cost a little less. On average I shoot 75-80 rounds a week of 9mm. I try to shoot every week with the pistol but probably miss 1 week a month on average. I'm kind of glad the range is a 35min drive otherwise I may be out there every other day in the summer :lol:
BTW, I'm reloading using a Lee Classic Turret Press and can do 160+ rounds an hour of pistol.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I love Power Pistol also, though I don't use it in 9mm. My biggest gripe is that there are only two container sizes for Power Pistol -- 1 lb'ers and 4 lb'ers. They simply don't offer it in an 8lb jug. That's annoying.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

If I viewed reloading from a purely economic perspective, then I have no business doing it. I shoot so little that I'm actually spending more $$ by investing in the dies, components, raw lead and other equipment. Right now, I'm in the red as far as anything having paid itself off. That said, I reload because it makes me self-reliant. If things ever get really bad, I'm able to cast my own bullets and reload my own ammo for a long time to come. That, to me, is priceless :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!