Pistol Powder Recommendations?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dthompson2634

Pistol Powder Recommendations?

Post by Dthompson2634 »

I'm sure this has been done to death but I thought I would ask. I currently reload for 9mm with Unique and I love the powder but it doesn't meter well at all in my Lee Powder Measure. I will soon be buying dies for .45 ACP and .38 Special so I would like something with good performance in all three calibers that also meters well. Any suggestions for a non-flake type powder for handgun calibers? I mostly load for cheap practice ammunition, I don't need ultra-hot loads or anything like that.
Klingon00

Re: Pistol Powder Recommendations?

Post by Klingon00 »

Hard to beat Winchester 231 for pistol IMHO. It meters well and I like its characteristics in lighter loads. Only problem is, I've discovered it can still be difficult to find on the shelves at the moment due to the panic.

HP38 is supposed to be near identical to W231. At least all my load data is identical, so it may be worth a try if you can find it.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Titegroup & HS6 are both ball powders that meter well.
A caveat- Titegroup is probably one of the most touchy powders out there due to the high nitro content. I use a lot of Titegroup but it's not for beginners without a lot of respect paid to double or triple charge potential.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

I've been very happy with the results with Clay's Universal for .45ACP and 9mm but haven't seen any on the shelves in over a year. Running on my last 8lb keg and always looking to get another one or two.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I also use Hodgdon Universal... which is kind of a "modern day" challenger to the old standby that is Unique. While Universal is a flake powder, it meters extremely well through my Lyman 55.

I use it in .45 Auto (Hardball), in 9mm (125gr LRN and 115 or 124gr jacketed or plated) and I also use it a bit in .38 Special, typically under a 125 or 130gr jacketed slug.

It'll maybe never be as popular as Unique, nor will you ever find as much published load data for it, but it fills a similar role. I use quite a lot of the stuff.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BobK

Post by BobK »

dl1911 wrote:I've been very happy with the results with Clay's Universal . . .
Sevens wrote:I also use Hodgdon Universal...
For the OP or other unfamiliar readers.

Hodgdon makes a powder called UNIVERSAL that is referred to as Universal Clays or just Universal. They are the same powder. Even Hodgdon's website blurs the line between the two distinctions. The Reloading Data Center refers to it as "Universal". However, the product description says:
UNIVERSAL®
UNIVERSAL CLAYS™

UNIVERSAL gunpowder handles the broadest spectrum of cartridges for both pistol and shotgun. This is the Clays gunpowder technology designed for 28 gauge shooters. From the 25 ACP to the 44 magnum and 28 gauge to 12 gauge, UNIVERSAL CLAYS gunpowder provides outstanding performance. As with all the "CLAYS" gunpowder series powders, clean burning and uniformity are part of its attributes. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I don't EVER use the "Clays" moniker because, IMNSHO, using the idiotic little "Clays" is perhaps the DUMBEST thing Hodgdon has ever done. They wanted to make a "family" of powders ( :x ) and all they actually did was create some manner of confusion that, in the perfect storm, could REALLY send someone up a creek if they had a different powder in their measure than they'd been led to believe.

Hodgdon markets "Clays", "Universal Clays" and "International Clays", but these days, folks denoting the powder when sharing load data tend to be a little smarter than Hodgdon was when they coined this idiotic series of names... We just drop "clays" as if it doesn't exist.

Universal seems to be far more popular in the market than either of the other two, at least in metallic handloading. In shotgun, I simply don't follow that gig, so I don't really know.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Sevens wrote:... IMNSHO, using the idiotic little "Clays" is perhaps the DUMBEST thing Hodgdon has ever done. They wanted to make a "family" of powders ( :x )
I 100% agree.

Since I was clarifying for the OP or other unfamiliar readers, if you go searching for this in a store and see "CLAYS" written on the label, DO NOT assume it is Universal. Gun kabooms could result, as Sevens alludes to.

As the Hodgdon Burn rate chart (http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html) shows, Hodgdon CLAYS is # 10, Hodgdon INTERNATIONAL is # 21, and Hodgdon UNIVERSAL is # 32. Improperly using UNIVERSAL load data with CLAYS powder is a recipe for trouble! :shock:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Wow - thanks for translating some shorthand for us newbies! :shock:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Dthompson2634

Post by Dthompson2634 »

Okay, I am getting the same recommendations that I have found through a little research. I think I want to try Universal or 231. Where does everyone get their powder in the Columbus area? I tried Vances last night and they didn't have anything, Woodbury Outfitters typically have one or two different kinds of pistol powders so I will try there next.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

It's probably best to try calling ahead to most places. With the effects of the panic still impacting reloading components it's still hard to find some things. I recently took an afternoon and visited 5 different gun stores around columbus but was unsuccessful in finding most powders I wanted.

I've heard that a lot of folks like going to a place called Fin, Feather and Fur way up north but I've yet to go myself. :oops:
BobK

Post by BobK »

Powder & Primers is one area where I always found gun shows to be useful.

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

If he doesn't mind an hour drive (or so) I'd be willing to bet that Country Attic in Lebanon has a good supply of powder. I've always had luck there...even when all the other LGS's were empty.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
mreising

Post by mreising »

glocksmith wrote:If he doesn't mind an hour drive (or so) I'd be willing to bet that Country Attic in Lebanon has a good supply of powder. I've always had luck there...even when all the other LGS's were empty.
Check their Facebook page, they update it daily. I was just there the other day and did not see any Win 231 or Win WSF, at least in 4 or 8 pound jugs, which were the two I was looking for at the time. They had a lot of powders but I wasn't paying attention to exactly what else they had, and the stock changes daily. They probably have the largest selection powders in the area.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Oh, I didn't realize we were talking one specific powder. Still, I'm always quick to recommend Country Attic...mainly because I want them to get as much business as possible...and stay in business. They are a true old-fashioned mom-and-pop shop...and I dread the day when I'm forced to rely on BassPro or Dicks for my reloading stuff.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!